Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread

Old 20th January 2014, 12:08   #1
BHPian

Default Rumour: Toyota planning another facelift of the Etios

Hi,

If news from Autonetmagz.com are to be believed then Toyota is planning a facelift of Etios. Pictures of the facelift car have been spotted. The front looks more elegant than the current generation car while the rear may not generate any excitement. The car will be first launched in Indonesia and then in India. This has been Toyota's tradition.

Can we see this upgrade in the upcoming Auto Expo?

The design has resemblance with the New Toyota Corolla which is scheduled for a launch in the upcoming Auto Expo-2014. It seems that Toyota is following a design theme like Hyundai.

Can we expect similar design in the New Innova that is due for a launch in 2015. Will be an interesting wait and watch situation.

Name:  2014ToyotaEtiosFacelift630x472.jpg
Views: 4644
Size:  57.3 KB

Name:  ToyotaEtiosFacelift2014728x546.jpg
Views: 3489
Size:  83.6 KB

Last edited by mints21 : 20th January 2014 at 12:09.
mints21 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 12:26   #2

Default re: Rumour: Toyota planning another facelift of the Etios

The front of the car looks much better than the current version.I would be more keen to see if they make any changes in the interior dashboard design and the NVH. Ride quality and handling were never an issue with Toyata cars.Keeping my fingers crossed. Etios is always a value for money proposition
Safedriver76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 12:47   #3
BHPian

Wow. If this facelift does make it to the Indian market then we can finally say Toyota is learning slowly and steadily. This Corolla type front just transforms the ugly duckling Etios to a really smart, good looking car. Lets hope it makes it here.
Old 20th January 2014, 15:19   #4
BHPian

Welcome the changes on the front - it does look more like a regular toyota now
The rear styling was decent - no issues if they dont do any changes there.
But how about the interiors? Though they have steadily improved, i dont mind them charging another 25K extra, for some fab interiors!
Old 20th January 2014, 15:20   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The front looks better, but what about the interiors? Will that too see a change? The one seen in the pic is left hand drive version, any scoops on the right hand drive version that is sold here?

The Etios twins requires a mid life facelift to garner more numbers.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 18:26   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Rumour: Toyota planning another facelift of the Etios

I dont think a face makeup will be enough for etios twins. They really need to redo the car in and out completely.

There was a survey that happened before the Etios launch asking about the looks of the Etios ,at that point I gave that they need better interiors if they wanted this to sell ,but at that point I think Toyota was too confident in their brand name.

Last edited by GTO : 21st January 2014 at 14:58. Reason: Typo
Old 20th January 2014, 19:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Hi,

If news from Autonetmagz.com are to be believed then Toyota is planning a facelift of Etios.
Looks like a photoshop job if you can observe the shape of the headlights in both the pictures.
Old 20th January 2014, 19:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Pictures of the facelift car have been spotted. The front looks more elegant than the current generation car while the rear may not generate any excitement.
Sir, This Liva as we discussed today looks way better than the present one. I believe the front profile looks aggressive and it will be creating a tough fight among the other cars of its segment once its launched in India.

Secondly, I really like the way these headlamps have been placed because they provide this car with a design called as "swept away" headlamps.

Thanks

AD

Last edited by ad3952n : 20th January 2014 at 19:59.
Old 20th January 2014, 20:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

The car looks much better than the current version. If Toyota improves the interior fit and finish, and gives a regular drivers console, rather than the central console, it will really do wonders to the sales.

Toyota service and aftersales, coupled with decent ride quality and the excellent engine will ensure this car is a success, both with private owners and the fleet segment.

Looking forward to seeing this soon.
Old 20th January 2014, 20:33   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Motoroids reports that the centre console may move to a more conventional location. But looking very carefully at the above pics, I still see the console silhouette in the centre itself. And this is going to be a bummer!!

If it indeed is NOT changed, this is a golden opportunity lost for Toyota. The exterior looks way better and the centre console alone will remain the sour part.

Or for Indian market, Toyota can maintain the current styling for base version which would cater to taxi market and the new external design + conventional console for the medium & top end which will serve the personal segment. To make it more taxi favourite, they can strip it to a bare minimum list and make a huge price differential between the base & middle variant. At any cost, Liva / Etios will remain a taxi centric product; so it's upto Toyota to reduce the new version from being sucked into the taxi market.

I think, keeping the current version will also help on the ROI front with the moulds and stuffs.

Edit:: Did they actually take a dig on the upcoming Jazz with that bumper design?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th January 2014 at 20:36.
swiftnfurious is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 01:52   #11
BHPian

This has now become such a good looking car! Just wish that they manage to inject some life in the steering.
Old 21st January 2014, 11:44   #12
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Wow, The front looks much cleaner now. I like it. Those sharp looking headlights are awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Motoroids reports that the centre console may move to a more conventional location. But looking very carefully at the above pics, I still see the console silhouette in the centre itself. And this is going to be a bummer!!

If it indeed is NOT changed, this is a golden opportunity lost for Toyota. The exterior looks way better and the centre console alone will remain the sour part.
I agree with you. The center console seems to be in its old place.

Why cant they move it to the conventional position when the whole world is rejecting this model. Toyota, please understand that, Its a deal breaker for many.
Old 21st January 2014, 12:17   #13
BHPian

The exteriors appear to be from another car, now. However, the new front looks strikingly similar to the current-gen i20. Is that only me?

The dashboard is still in the centre, darn! An opportunity lost! This was a top contender in the long list of grouses which needed definite correction

-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 21st January 2014 at 12:19.
Old 22nd January 2014, 19:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi all; We are well aware of the fact that Etios Sedan and Etios Liva have not performed upto the mark in their respective segments and it may be also worth noticing that in India the Etios models are one of the cheapest offerings from TKM and serve the B&C segments of our Indian car market. Hence now the Liva hatchback is on the verge of getting a makeover and the facelift-ed version may raise the sales of the comparitively low-selling car. Its just a probable guess that this Etios Liva refresh would be having some design cues from the other popular Toyota cars.

As it can be seen in the first picture above, the Etios Liva facelift may boast of a Yaris-like front profile; which at least in my view, looks more appealing than the present car. Its also a known fact that the Etios and the Etios Liva have been criticized for poor-quality interiors so I wish that the face-lifted car will come with slightly better interiors. Also it would be a nice move if the centrally located instrument panel can move to the regular position i.e in front of the driver.

After seeing the pics; I agree that the changes to the rear may be minimal, with just a pair tweaked tail-lights but surely; it would be very interesting to see that whether these cosmetic changes ensure some good sales numbers for the Etios Liva in the Indian car market because the hatch segment is becoming competitive day-by-day.

Thanks

AD

Last edited by ad3952n : 22nd January 2014 at 20:01. Reason: Spell Check
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 11:32   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Toyota Etios to get a major styling overhaul in 2015

When Toyota launched the Etios and it's hatchback sibling, the Liva, it expected the built-to-a-cost twins to be the volume sellers in it's lineup. Already enjoying good success with the Fortuner and the Innova in their respective segments, Toyota was banking heavily on the Etios models to score big in the Indian market.

Despite having very spacious cabins in their segments and a set of great engines under their hood, the Etios twins haven't exactly set the charts on fire, with the Maruti-Suzuki Swift DZire continuing it's dominant run and the Honda Amaze becoming a runaway success, denting the Etios sedan's chances. The Etios Liva never posed a great challenge to the Swift, Figo or other hatches in it's segment either.

Rumour: Toyota planning another facelift of the Etios-150287.jpg

Boxy and plain jane looks from all angles, reliability issues regarding it's low cost build, cheap interiors and competitors offering much better VFM quality products, have dented the Etios twins' sales in recent times.

Now, ACI reports that the next-gen Etios will have major styling changes so as to make the car more appealing to the masses, specially targetting the youth. According to Mr. Hisayuki Inoue, CEO Asia-Pacific operations, Toyota, the all-new next-gen Etios will "have a much better design" and if sources are to be believed, it will bear very little resemblance to the boxy, compact shape of the current model.

Rumour: Toyota planning another facelift of the Etios-150286.jpg

Now, after the 2014 Honda City adopting the "fluidic" route and enjoying tremendous initial success, will we see the Etios adopting something on similar lines? Or will it be remodeled based on the all-new Corolla Altis unveiled a few days back, which looks stunning?

Let's wait and watch.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ng-373218.aspx

Last edited by RavenAvi : 27th February 2014 at 13:52. Reason: Reformatted text and attached images. All done.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread