Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 23rd January 2014, 08:29   #1
BHPian

Default Hyundai, Kia to offer In-Car Internet (USA)

Here's an interesting article I came across - http://mashable.com/2014/01/21/hyundai-verizon/. Is there a market for such a service in India? I have GPS inbuilt in the car, but I often still use my mobile for maps. Why would customers use this service? How are they differentiating the product? Lots of questions!
triedeverything is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:17   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Hyundai, Kia to offer In-Car Internet (USA)

The scope is a lot wider than just navigation. Think information availability on anything at anytime, streaming audio (online radio services), streaming video (for rearseat passengers), navigation with real-time updates (maps, traffic), software updates for your car (real-time, from the manufacturer), troubleshooting issues with the service center etc.

Only a matter of time, really, especially in India where mobile is huge & operators are waiting to jump into a new revenue stream.

Related Thread (BMW to offer full internet access on iDrive)
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:52   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not just use stuff like https://www.celcom.com.my/personal/p...=1360826467695 ?
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 15:54   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Several benefits to an integrated solution. For one, we're talking here of the entire car being connected (head-unit, ECU & electronics etc.) and not merely having an internet connection in the cabin (which we have even today via our smartphone's wi-fi spot feature).

I just like stuff nicely integrated. Example: Our smartphones have navigation, but I'd still prefer my next car to have integrated GPS (bigger screen, no charging of phone required, no messy stands and more).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 16:20   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Several benefits to an integrated solution. For one, we're talking here of the entire car being connected (head-unit, ECU & electronics etc.) and not merely having an internet connection in the cabin (which we have even today via our smartphone's wi-fi spot feature).

I just like stuff nicely integrated. Example: Our smartphones have navigation, but I'd still prefer my next car to have integrated GPS (bigger screen, no charging of phone required, no messy stands and more).
Valid point - esp with the auto industry's standards, it will all *just work* out of the box.

No more fiddling around, no charging etc - just as the in-car BT means no more forgetting or leaving it at home etc!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote