Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 29th March 2014, 00:57   #1
BHPian

Default VW Golf turns 40!

First of all, let me start by thanking a good old friend and a bhpian : BigBrad. He pointed out the same. I thought this would be a perfect tribute to the all time legend in general and also to my car in particular.

The VW Golf is a compact car, produced by German Automotive giants Volkswagen aka VAG group. It's undoubtedly one of the world's best selling model internationally to date. It has seen numerous variants right from the 3-door hatch back to 5-door hatch to a convertible (cabriolet), notchback etc.

It has won various awards like World Car of the Year in 2009 with the Volkswagen Golf Mk6 and in 2013 with the Volkswagen Golf Mk7. Every generation of Golf has been a runner-up in the European Car of the Year awards and two have been winners, the Golf Mk3 in 1992 and the Golf Mk7 in 2013.[3] The Volkswagen Golf has made the Car and Driver annual 10Best list multiple times (thanks Wiki).

It was a successor to the legendary VW Beetle, but with front engine and front wheel drive.

The first golf came into production on 29th Mar 1974 and it turns 40 on 29th Mar 2014 . The Golf GTI (a hot hatch kind of Golf) came in 1976, the naturally aspirated diesel Golf D also the same year and later a turbo diesel engine Golf GTD in the year 1982.

The car that I drive has a V5 2.3 litre engine which was patented by the Volkswagen. It is derived from the older VR6 engine. I am lucky enough to have driven both of them.

Volkswagen introduced great amount of innovations and technologies into the Golf like the regulated catalytic converter in 1984, Anti-lock Braking System in 1986 and a power steering and all wheel drive system in 1986.

Some other significant technologies that appeared in Golf are :

First direct injection diesel engines TDI
First direct injection Engine FSI
First six cylinder engine
Cruise controls
4motion (all wheel drives)

and many more.

Golf is a car that has lasted for seven generations and sold more than half a million as per reports.

The various golf models throughout the years are:

First Generation Mk1 Golf : (1974-1983)

This car made its entry as a modern front wheel drive and was sold as VW Rabbit in the US and as VW Caribe in Mexico. The hot hatch GTI, diesel powered golf, the sedan version Jetta, a pick up named Caddy and cabriolet came up during this period.

The major Engine sizes were 1.3 and 1.5 Litre (all inline 4 cylinder)for the normal Golf's and 1.6 and 1.8 Litre (all inline 4 cylinder) for the GTI versions with various power outputs.

Transmissions were 4/5 speed manual, 3 speed automatic.

Golf MK1

Name:  MK1.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  9.3 KB

Pics of lesser known Caddy and Golf Cabriolet

Name:  Caddy.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  7.9 KB

Name:  MK1 Cabriolet.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  9.5 KB

Second Generation Mk2: (1983-1992)

Retaining the shape and design but improving the space utilization and increasing the wheelbase, the Golf Mk2 rolled out in Aug-Sep 1983. The Mk1 cabriolet version was continued throughout this period and there was no production of MK2 Cabriolet. The regulated catalytic converter, ABS, Power steering and All wheel drives were incorporated in this era to the Golf.

The major Engine sizes were 1.3, 1.6 and 1.8 Litre at various power outputs, while the North America and Japanese versions got 1.8 and 2.0 Litre (all inline 4 cylinder) Engines.

Transmissions remained the same as Mk1.

Golf Mk2

Name:  MK2.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  8.9 KB

Name:  MK2 _2.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  9.8 KB

Third Generation Mk3 : (1993-2001)

The Mk3 debuted in 1991. This car underwent a visible design change evident from the looks. The highly efficient turbocharged diesel engine TDI made its way in this time frame, 1993 to be very precise. The narrow angle 2.8 litre Vr6 engine made its way into the Golf somewhere around the same time.

It was the European car of the year in 1992.

Though there was introduction of Mk3 Cabriolet during 1999 it got the design of Mk4 versions as a result of late introduction but retained the chassis of Mk3.

The major Engine sizes were 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 , 2.0 Litre inline 4 cylinder and 2.8, 2.9 Vr6 and also 1.9 Litre TDI with various power outputs.

Transmission were 4/5 speed manual, 4 speed automatic.

Golf Mk3

Name:  mk3.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  9.3 KB

The mk3 Cabrio

Name:  mk3 cabrio.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  7.6 KB

The Vr6 cars had a Vr6 badge. The car I had seen had a badge at the rear.

Name:  mk3 vr6.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  11.2 KB

Name:  mk3 gti.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  7.8 KB

(to be contd.)

Last edited by voyageur : 29th March 2014 at 10:35. Reason: Correcting mistakes
voyageur is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 02:34   #2
BHPian

Default re: VW Golf turns 40!

Fourth Generation Mk4: (1997-2001)

Simply, my car. Thankfully I won't use much of Google this time.

Introduced in 1997, this had a front grill and back styling updates which were very much visible. This was the best selling car in 2001 in Europe and runner up in 2002 (winner Peugeot 206). This had a high interior quality and higher number of equipment levels to beat the Audi A3. (According to me, it does beat the Audi A3 1.8 L version which I had a chance to check out. The Engine noise itself leaves the A3 miles behind my car.)

The Golf's in these years saw 4motion (all wheel drive), in 1998 I believe. ESP/ESC ( Electronic Stability Program/Control)became a standard feature, intially in Germany.

3.2 litre Vr6 Golf R32 with 4motion was the successor of the 2.8 litre Vr6 golf. Also there was no Mk4 Cabrio in production.

The major Engine sizes are 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 Litre inline 4 cylinder engine out of which 1.8 litre engine gets turbo. Also 2.3 litre V5, 2.8 litre Vr6, 3.2 litre Vr6 (R32) and 1.9 litre TDI with I4. The power outputs ranged from 55 kW to 177 kW (73 hp to 240 hp).

Transmission were 5 / 6 speed manual, 4 speed automatic, 5 speed tiptropic automatic, 6 speed DSG.

Golf Mk4

Name:  mk4.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  9.7 KB

Name:  mk4_1.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  8.8 KB

Fifth Generation Mk5: (2004-2008)

Claimed to have better handling and ride quality, it debuted in 2003 in Europe. It was sold as VW Rabbit in North America again like the Mk1 golf. The fuel economy was poor though it had better ride.

The R32 version continued with a hike of 10 hp.

During this time frame, the Golf also saw a W12 engine from VW Phaeton/Bentley Continental GT. VW Phaeton is a lesser known premium class vehicle. It was a concept car and was mechanically functional to the extent that it could be driven.

The VW Golf GTI W12 had a 6 cylinder W12 engine which produced a whooping 641 hp and 720 N-m torque. 0-100 kmph was claimed to happen in 3.7 secs and a top speed of 325 kmph. Unlike the normal Golf, this engine was mid mounted and the W12 had underwent dimensional modifications too. The car has also featured in BBC's Top Gear.

Engine sizes were 1.4, 1.6 and 2.0 Litre all inline 4 cylinder with FSI and TSI technologies. 2.5 litre however got inline 5 cylinders and there was 3.2 Litre Vr6 in R32. 1.9 and 2.0 litre inline 4 cylinder for diesels.

Transmission were 5 / 6 speed manual, 6 speed tiptronic automatic, 6 speed DSG.

Golf Mk5

Name:  mk5.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  8.8 KB

Mk5 R32

Name:  mk5 r32.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  9.5 KB

The Golf GTI W12-650

Name:  gti w12_1.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  6.7 KB

Name:  gti w12.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  7.5 KB

Sixth Generation Mk6: (2008-2013)

This made way into the market in the winter of 2008 and was based on the A5 platform. Volkswagen Adaptive Chassis Control was new of its kind as it was introduced in Golf mk6. This allowed three modes namely, Normal Comfort and Sport mode which decided how the car should behave.

Golf R which I believe replaced the R32, was introduced with a I4 TFSI 256 hp 2.0 litre engine.

The other engine sizes were 1.4 and 1.6 litre I4 engines, 1.4 and 1.6 TSI engines, 2.0 litre I4 engine and 2.5 litre I5 engine. Diesel came with 1.6 and 2.0 litre TDI at various power outputs.

Transmission systems were 5 / 6 speed manual, 6 speed automatic, 6 / 7 speed DSG.

It was awarded Euro NCAP 5 star safety ratings mainly for its 9 safety airbags and ESP.

Golf Mk6

Name:  mk6.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  11.1 KB

Golf R Mk6

Name:  mk6 golf r.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  8.6 KB

Seventh Generation Mk7: (2013-Present)

In Sep 2012, seventh edition Golf was showcased in Paris Motor show. It boasts to have reduced weight by a 100 kg though it's slightly larger than the Mk6 version and have better fuel economy and loads of other assistance system. Also VW has come up with the electric version of the Golf namely GTE (a plug in hybrid) and e-Golf (runs on electricity) and a TGI version which runs on CNG.

The Golf GTE will be launched late in 2014 and deliveries of e-Golf is to being after second quarter of 2014.

The engine options vary from 1.2 TSI, 1.4 TSI and 2.0 Litre for GTI and R versions. Bluemotion Technology is used widely through most of the models. Diesel comes with 1.6 TDI and 2.0 TDI.

Transmission systems are 5/6 speed manual and 6/7 speed DSG.

Golf Mk7

Name:  mk7.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  9.9 KB

Gti Mk7

Name:  mk7 gti.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  7.1 KB

Credits:

BigBrad
Indian Autos Blog - View the Web page here
Google for Images
Wikipedia and Google and various sites for relevant data.

Wishing VW and the Golf many more years in Automotive industry. I hope that this car brings more and more smiles to the users all around the globe and soon make its debut in India also.

Please note that this was compiled in a very short time (as short as 2 hours). If at all there are any mistakes in the write up, please ignore them and if there are any corrections in above, please do point it out.

Thanks for reading. Cheers.

Last edited by voyageur : 29th March 2014 at 10:16. Reason: Correcting mistakes
voyageur is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 16:23   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: VW Golf turns 40!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the International Scene. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 00:54   #4
BHPian

An advertisement of the VW Rabbit (Mk1).

Name:  1979Rabbit700x504.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  85.0 KB

Another pic of the seven generations of the Golf

Name:  600x400DB2013AL00009_small.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  29.8 KB

Image courtesy to: blog.hemmings.com

Last edited by voyageur : 2nd April 2014 at 00:55.
voyageur is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 13:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

What a car! Being an ex-owner of a Mk.2 GTi (8v model, insurance premium was a stretch even for this car), I still haven't driven a better drivers car than this model. It was epic!

Here's wishing (and hoping) that the GTi continues to be the benchmark hot hatch for years to come.
KiloAlpha is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 14:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Somehow the simplicity, compactness, agility and the basic fun to drive quotient of the previous generation cars have diluted over the later generations. Probably why the Polo or better still the Up are cars that actually inherited the DNA of the previous gen Golfs.

Having said that, will wait for a day VW decides to bring the Golf/Scirocco (more for Golf than Scirocco) to our shores. What VW will find as a surprise is that Golf has a good fan following amongst the folks in the pricepoint demographic.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 18:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Somehow the simplicity, compactness, agility and the basic fun to drive quotient of the previous generation cars have diluted over the later generations. Probably why the Polo or better still the Up are cars that actually inherited the DNA of the previous gen Golfs.

Having said that, will wait for a day VW decides to bring the Golf/Scirocco (more for Golf than Scirocco) to our shores. What VW will find as a surprise is that Golf has a good fan following amongst the folks in the pricepoint demographic.
I absolutely agree with your 1st point. I haven't driven Polo's or Scirocco's (which I will td soon), but the Golf is a great car.

The Golf / Scirocco is really costly. It costs 22.5 lacs approx to own a golf and Scirocco is one lakh more (converting the ex showroom price here).

I am a present owner of a Mk4 GTI and this is my first car. I am a 100% sure that, no other car would have made me as happy as I am now with the GTI. This car is such a pleasure to drive, you can see the revvs going above 4000 - 5000 rpms and hear the sweet noise of the engine. I just knew golf as a car produced by VW till I started car pooling with a colleague of mine who owns a Mk4 gti as well, and used to drive like an F1 driver. The corners at a 100 kmph and I was amazed by the car's stability.

Today when I drive this car around I know that I can easily pull out the same feat (but I don't), such is the confidence that car gives. It's a normal car from the looks and can be quite normally driven around but transforms into a beast when ever you want. I love such cars. Audi S4 is another perfect example.

The Engine and gearbox is bombproof. The manual gearbox is slick and it's such a pleasure to shift gears. The Mk4 has less electronics as compared to today's car and hence less costly to maintain. The service and spare parts are costly. Also my car being old drinks more fuel than the modern day cars.

If I was financially well off, and if VW had Golf in India I would have really considered keeping the car forever because my 2.3 L V5 golf is a unique car and is a great value for money car considering the amazing balance of performance and comfort.

There was a small incident which I would like to quote here. This happened recently. One of my colleague was buying a Civic AT. He bought the car from his friend who was his college mate. This college mate and my colleague had to travel 2-3 days in my car. The following was my colleague's friends comments about my car.

Day 1:

Will this car fall apart? This car looks too old. A small car

(my car was laden with dust accumulated over a week only the wiper area was clean )

He sat in the passenger seat as we were going to a place which he knew. So he used to direct me.

Day 2:

Again he sits beside me, but while going he doesn't tell me about the turns till we are actually very very close to the turn thinking that I might be remembering the route. When he reminds me it's already very close, I just casually taps slightly on the brake and take the turn at a 70-80 kmph (please note that the road is completely deserted and void of any traffic at the outskirts). He closes his eyes and when he opens it we are perfectly where we need to be (on the road, not in the sand) doing fine. He calls me Micheal Schumacher, but actually it's the GTI.

Day 3:

He sits besides me and enjoys the drive and before parting he says,

It's a super cool car.

I ask him, So you like it?

I love it, it's awesome. It's small, it's powerful and it looks simple.

I smile, wave him a bye.

If anyone has a chance to drive the Golf (preferably an R32) please don't miss the chance. You will love the experience especially on a Manual Tranny, the experience is great.

Cheers.
voyageur is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 18:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
The Golf / Scirocco is really costly. It costs 22.5 lacs approx to own a golf and Scirocco is one lakh more (converting the ex showroom price here).

The 20+ Lakh segment customers are usually quite aware of the international trends and preferences. Golf, especially the GTi, is quite a well known item to them. Besides, people are buying the Merc A class/Mini hatch for the same prices, so being a hatch does not remain a bad thing for a car in the priceband. Golf, in my opinion, will outshine them.

Quote:
I am a present owner of a Mk4 GTI and this is my first car. I am a 100% sure that, no other car would have made me as happy as I am now with the GTI.
Great, when I made that opening statement about the earlier Golfs, I incidentally meant upto the 4th Gen Golf, which you have. Besides, its also great that you have the 2.3, its a fabulous scorcher and the power delivery is very european with no torque-steer. To some extent the R32 of the same generation did not appeal to me due to power-chassis imbalance.

Quote:
There was a small incident which I would like to quote here. This happened recently. One of my colleague was buying a Civic AT. He bought the car from his friend who was his college mate. This college mate and my colleague had to travel 2-3 days in my car. The following was my colleague's friends comments about my car.

Day 1:

Will this car fall apart? This car looks too old. A small car

(my car was laden with dust accumulated over a week only the wiper area was clean )

He sat in the passenger seat as we were going to a place which he knew. So he used to direct me.

Day 2:

Again he sits beside me, but while going he doesn't tell me about the turns till we are actually very very close to the turn thinking that I might be remembering the route. When he reminds me it's already very close, I just casually taps slightly on the brake and take the turn at a 70-80 kmph (please note that the road is completely deserted and void of any traffic at the outskirts). He closes his eyes and when he opens it we are perfectly where we need to be (on the road, not in the sand) doing fine. He calls me Micheal Schumacher, but actually it's the GTI.

Day 3:

He sits besides me and enjoys the drive and before parting he says,

It's a super cool car.

I ask him, So you like it?

I love it, it's awesome. It's small, it's powerful and it looks simple.

I smile, wave him a bye.

Cheers.
Super story! Especially since it changed a perception, that normal people usually develop, when they see something and associate the sight with a certain experience. When that experience changes, they go back educated, to not judge a book by its cover!
Old 2nd April 2014, 22:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
The 20+ Lakh segment customers are usually quite aware of the international trends and preferences. Golf, especially the GTi, is quite a well known item to them. Besides, people are buying the Merc A class/Mini hatch for the same prices, so being a hatch does not remain a bad thing for a car in the priceband. Golf, in my opinion, will outshine them.

Great, when I made that opening statement about the earlier Golfs, I incidentally meant upto the 4th Gen Golf, which you have. Besides, its also great that you have the 2.3, its a fabulous scorcher and the power delivery is very european with no torque-steer. To some extent the R32 of the same generation did not appeal to me due to power-chassis imbalance.
Yes sir, you are right. I don't find great appeal for the 5th and later generation Golf's visually. The reason for me is that they have tried to make it curvy. I am not sure about the ride and other aspects because never really got a chance to drive the later generations. Also your mention about the power delivery is spot on. Even in 5th gear, the power delivery is mind blowing.

I have a quick doubt. There is a 2.8 litre Vr6 golf with 198 hp also of the same 4th generation. I have driven it around and I was not really thrilled by that car. I know this because as I mentioned I used to car pool with a colleague who had my same GTI. So I know how the V5 Golf pulls. But leave the pulling aside, the Engine of the Vr6 car that I drove sounded like a generator. Is it just that car or in general 2.8 litre Vr6 are not that great? Please throw some light in that area, if you have any idea.

Quote:
Super story! Especially since it changed a perception, that normal people usually develop, when they see something and associate the sight with a certain experience. When that experience changes, they go back educated, to not judge a book by its cover!
It was a proud moment and as you said changing someone's perception about something is not easy. In the case of Golf, it proved otherwise.
voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 22:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the Engine of the Vr6 car that I drove sounded like a generator.
Does he have a modded intake or exhaust. Stock VR6 car has a different note from the i4 and to the uninitiated it might sound a little non-rhythmic but only just, but that gets amplified when you mod the intake/exhaust. For a VW doing that hardly adds any performance gains, because the engines themselves are maximised.
Old 3rd April 2014, 09:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Does he have a modded intake or exhaust. Stock VR6 car has a different note from the i4 and to the uninitiated it might sound a little non-rhythmic but only just, but that gets amplified when you mod the intake/exhaust. For a VW doing that hardly adds any performance gains, because the engines themselves are maximised.
No he didn't mod the exhaust. I guess it's just the way he treated that car. The car had already clocked 213000 km. Still the engine has to be perfect because it's a VW. Again I guess he has not taken care of well.
Old 4th April 2014, 09:28   #12
BHPian

A very well documented article on a wonderful car. Its great to see how the car has evolved over the past 40 years.

Quote:
The following was my colleague's friends comments about my car....
That was hilarious.

Never knew that a hatch like Golf came with a W12 engine producing 641HP & 720Nm of torque. That is bloody fast even today. Can't imagine the feel it would have given at its time.

Have fun with car.
BigBrad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 21:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fourth Generation Mk4: (1997-2001)
The engine options vary from 1.2 TSI, 1.4 TSI and 2.0 Litre for GTI and R versions. Bluemotion Technology is used widely through most of the models. Diesel comes with 1.6 TDI and 2.0 TDI.
Excellent collection of information here voyageur! Thanks for posting.

Couple of corrections - the W12 Golf was never mass produced - it was a one off car.

The MK7 Golf in the US will have the 1.8 TSI and not the 1.2 or 1.4 as I understand.

I had a deposit on the 2012 Golf R in the US - which I had to cancel because I had to return to India. Wonderful little car.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 10:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
A very well documented article on a wonderful car. Its great to see how the car has evolved over the past 40 years.

That was hilarious.

Never knew that a hatch like Golf came with a W12 engine producing 641HP & 720Nm of torque. That is bloody fast even today. Can't imagine the feel it would have given at its time.

Have fun with car.
Hello Brad,

Glad you like the details. It's a true legend of a car.

The W12 was said to be driven in TG. So it was mentioned to be produced but just further researches showed that it was a concept. It was really fast on the straights and very poor around corners.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Excellent collection of information here voyageur! Thanks for posting.

Couple of corrections - the W12 Golf was never mass produced - it was a one off car.

The MK7 Golf in the US will have the 1.8 TSI and not the 1.2 or 1.4 as I understand.

I had a deposit on the 2012 Golf R in the US - which I had to cancel because I had to return to India. Wonderful little car.
Dear Vineeth,

You are right with the W12. It was a one off car.

Is it just for the North American Mk7 Golf? I guess generally it comes in 1.2 and 1.4 TSI Bluemotion with some 85-122 PS. I am not a 100% sure though.

I am guessing that you are back in India for good. Thanks for correcting me

Cheers.
Old 5th April 2014, 16:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Is it just for the North American Mk7 Golf? I guess generally it comes in 1.2 and 1.4 TSI Bluemotion with some 85-122 PS. I am not a 100% sure though.

I am guessing that you are back in India for good. Thanks for correcting me

Cheers.
I think the 1.8 might be just for the golf here. 170bhp/184 lbft engine - that is base on most VW models starting 2014, even the base engine on the newly launched a3. US customers want large cars, loads of power

Oh btw, am back in the states.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote