Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 19th July 2014, 19:43   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Driven in Australia! Toyota GT86, Holden 6L V8s & Commodore SV6

karan561: Nicely written, bring out your passion!

You are absolutely spot on - the Holden Commodore SS is the best performance car buy around in Australia. Unfortunately, the Euros really follow an extortionate pricing here in Australia and the Euros that stir us petrol heads (i.e. things with M, AMG, RS etc on their badges) are easily 3x their prices in the US and are unaffordable for most except the very rich.

The tragedy is that Australian car manufacturing is winding down and by 2017, the three manufacturers left, Holden, Ford & Toyota will also have closed down. It is the end of an era - with most American cars being front wheel drive, Australia was the last frontier left for the old school large rear wheel drive, high powered sedans being used as family cars. The few that remain like the Dodge Charger or Chrysler 300c are more niche cars and not mainstream.
LTAutoMad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 07:57   #17
BHPian

Another absolute performance car bargain in Australia is the Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo. While the regular XR6 is just a blinged up version of the base model Falcon, the XR6 Turbo adds a huffer to the 4.0 litre engine and the power / torque go from 195kW / 391 Nm to 270 kW / 533 Nm! Most road testers swear that the XR6 Turbo handles even better than the Commodore SS / Falcon XR8 since it does not have a heavy V8 hanging out front.

In fact, the XR6T was so successful that Ford had to stop production of the V8 Falcon called XR8, which had been a key model for the last couple of decades. This was because the XR8 with its 5.4 litre V8 was more expensive, guzzled more fuel, but had lesser performance. But, it had a glorious exhaust note that was absolute music to every petrol head!
Old 21st July 2014, 21:54   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimalist View Post
Well said friend well said. I remember you saying something similar when you were showing us the photos when we had met. Do these cars actually do well in the market there??
Oh yes they do... specially the big engines are very popular. But when it comes to practicality there are similar cars available like the 6L Holden i drove the same car is also available in a 3.6L LPG Variant too

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Amazing write-up!
Was going to watsapp you to ask you about the report.
I became a fan of the GT-86 after watching Jeremy Clarkson driving it on BBC TOPGEAR. I hope I get the to drive one of these someday. Too bad the minimum age to rent these cars is 23.
Hey Thanks Dean,

C'mon man im sure you can wait, for you 23 wont be too far away now

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTAutoMad View Post
karan561: Nicely written, bring out your passion!

You are absolutely spot on - the Holden Commodore SS is the best performance car buy around in Australia. Unfortunately, the Euros really follow an extortionate pricing here in Australia and the Euros that stir us petrol heads (i.e. things with M, AMG, RS etc on their badges) are easily 3x their prices in the US and are unaffordable for most except the very rich.

The tragedy is that Australian car manufacturing is winding down and by 2017, the three manufacturers left, Holden, Ford & Toyota will also have closed down. It is the end of an era - with most American cars being front wheel drive, Australia was the last frontier left for the old school large rear wheel drive, high powered sedans being used as family cars. The few that remain like the Dodge Charger or Chrysler 300c are more niche cars and not mainstream.
Hey,

Thanks for your comments & inputs.

I believe you stay in Australia, i had a question, how is the Vauxhall brand doing ? I specially love the VXR8. But sadly never saw any during my 2 week stay.

Quote:
Another absolute performance car bargain in Australia is the Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo. While the regular XR6 is just a blinged up version of the base model Falcon, the XR6 Turbo adds a huffer to the 4.0 litre engine and the power / torque go from 195kW / 391 Nm to 270 kW / 533 Nm! Most road testers swear that the XR6 Turbo handles even better than the Commodore SS / Falcon XR8 since it does not have a heavy V8 hanging out front.

In fact, the XR6T was so successful that Ford had to stop production of the V8 Falcon called XR8, which had been a key model for the last couple of decades. This was because the XR8 with its 5.4 litre V8 was more expensive, guzzled more fuel, but had lesser performance. But, it had a glorious exhaust note that was absolute music to every petrol head!
Oh yes i loved the look of the XR6, specially the headlights & the sporty rear spoiler. But the XR6 Turbo you mentioned seems to be an interesting car.

I think it is under the FPV range ( Ford Performance Vehicles ) right ?
karan561 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 18:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Hey,

Thanks for your comments & inputs.

I believe you stay in Australia, i had a question, how is the Vauxhall brand doing ? I specially love the VXR8. But sadly never saw any during my 2 week stay.

Oh yes i loved the look of the XR6, specially the headlights & the sporty rear spoiler. But the XR6 Turbo you mentioned seems to be an interesting car.

I think it is under the FPV range ( Ford Performance Vehicles ) right ?
karan561, Its the other way around - it was the Holden Monaro (2-door version of the Commodore - produced for a few years) V8 that was imported into UK & rebadged as a Vauxhall! The Holden Commodore SS was also exported to the US as a Pontiac SS, the Middle East as the Chevrolet SS etc. Its a real muscle car, unfortunately won't be around in a couple of years' time. Now that production is coming to an end, the V8s are selling like hot cakes - people now realise what they are going to miss.

The Falcon XR6T was & is still sold as a Ford product. FPV used to take the same car, tweak it for more power, add a body kit & sell it as the FPV Typhoon. HSV take the Holden Commodore SS from the production line, tweak it & sell it. While the SS is a 6.0 litre, the HSV versions are 6.2 litre taken up to the tune of the Corvette.

FPV was wound up recently. Ford & Holden mostly own FPV & HSV respectively, similar to Mercedes & AMG.
Old 24th July 2014, 15:25   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
karan561, Its the other way around - it was the Holden Monaro (2-door version of the Commodore - produced for a few years) V8 that was imported into UK & rebadged as a Vauxhall! The Holden Commodore SS was also exported to the US as a Pontiac SS, the Middle East as the Chevrolet SS etc. Its a real muscle car, unfortunately won't be around in a couple of years' time. Now that production is coming to an end, the V8s are selling like hot cakes - people now realise what they are going to miss.

The Falcon XR6T was & is still sold as a Ford product. FPV used to take the same car, tweak it for more power, add a body kit & sell it as the FPV Typhoon. HSV take the Holden Commodore SS from the production line, tweak it & sell it. While the SS is a 6.0 litre, the HSV versions are 6.2 litre taken up to the tune of the Corvette.

FPV was wound up recently. Ford & Holden mostly own FPV & HSV respectively, similar to Mercedes & AMG.
Thanks for the insight on the FPV & HSV brands.

Seems you have good knowledge about the Australian car market

Since how long have you been in Australia ?
Old 24th July 2014, 16:41   #21
BHPian

Hey Karan,

Amazing report! And some amazing pictures too. Those coastal roads are to die for!

How I wish we had the GT86 in India! Imagine something like that for somewhere around 25L OTR. I knew I'd get in line for one of those.

On a separate note, I seriously hope India moves forward from being the land of the 1.3MJD. *Imagining a Maruti with a V6*

Cheers!
Cartman.
Cartman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2014, 16:50   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Oh yes they do... specially the big engines are very popular. But when it comes to practicality there are similar cars available like the 6L Holden i drove the same car is also available in a 3.6L LPG Variant too

The 6L Holdens guzzle petrol like anything and are not at all practical for people who drive a lot. Even a diehard petrolhead like me (who loves to drive the V8s) has a LPG 3.6V6 as a family car. The economics just doesn't work out.

I do 25,000+ kms per year while my wife who has a longer commute does 30,000+ kms per year. Petrol is $1.50/litre (diesel $1.60/litre) while gas is $0.75/litre.
On her V6 LPG Commodore (7-8 km/L), my wife's fuel bill would be @$3,000 / year while on a 6.0L V8 Commodore (mileage 4-5 km/l), her fuel bill would have been @$10,000 / year!! Obviously not something that most families can just throw away year after year. But, for people who do only 10,000-15,000 kms per year, the V8 might be something they can consider. I am happy with the LPG option as I get all the benefits of a large, spacious, powerful, heavy (stable), rear wheel drive car instead of say, a 2.4L 4 cylinder Camry, which will not be as good for long daily drives on freeways full of semi-trailers.

Btw, Australia's is the world's worst nanny state, with silly rules left, right & centre (AFAIK, the only country in the world to have compulsory bicycle helmets - result: the % of population cycling (the healthy option) has really come down!) along with huge traffic fines with a government budget reliant on hundreds of millions of $ in traffic fines. No one will grudge fining or even locking up people who drive dangerously or overspeed - it used to be reasonable till a few years back (with some small leeway in speeding), but now the state govts are ruthless in squeezing out their revenue and there is zero tolerance.

For eg; I got fined & lost demerit points for doing 62km/h in a 60 km/h zone! This is a very common occurrence. So, in reality, you cannot enjoy the V8s except for the rumbling audio (and maybe sneering at the plebs in their non-V8s while the greenies in their look-at-what-a-nice-boy-I-am Priuses sneer right back at you as an environmental vandal!) - at most maybe an occasional blast off from the lights (but not even God can help you if a cop catches you!).

Quote:
Thanks for the insight on the FPV & HSV brands.

Seems you have good knowledge about the Australian car market

Since how long have you been in Australia ?
Getting almost too long to remember - 20 years!
Old 24th July 2014, 21:49   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Hey Karan,

Amazing report! And some amazing pictures too. Those coastal roads are to die for!
Hey 'cartman',

Thanks for the kind words, appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
On a separate note, I seriously hope India moves forward from being the land of the 1.3MJD. *Imagining a Maruti with a V6*
Cheers!
Cartman.
Haha , well said bro, Lets hope we live long enough to see that change.

Quote:
The 6L Holdens guzzle petrol like anything and are not at all practical for people who drive a lot. Even a diehard petrolhead like me (who loves to drive the V8s) has a LPG 3.6V6 as a family car. The economics just doesn't work out.

I do 25,000+ kms per year while my wife who has a longer commute does 30,000+ kms per year. Petrol is $1.50/litre (diesel $1.60/litre) while gas is $0.75/litre.
On her V6 LPG Commodore (7-8 km/L), my wife's fuel bill would be @$3,000 / year while on a 6.0L V8 Commodore (mileage 4-5 km/l), her fuel bill would have been @$10,000 / year!! Obviously not something that most families can just throw away year after year. But, for people who do only 10,000-15,000 kms per year, the V8 might be something they can consider. I am happy with the LPG option as I get all the benefits of a large, spacious, powerful, heavy (stable), rear wheel drive car instead of say, a 2.4L 4 cylinder Camry, which will not be as good for long daily drives on freeways full of semi-trailers.

Btw, Australia's is the world's worst nanny state, with silly rules left, right & centre (AFAIK, the only country in the world to have compulsory bicycle helmets - result: the % of population cycling (the healthy option) has really come down!) along with huge traffic fines with a government budget reliant on hundreds of millions of $ in traffic fines. No one will grudge fining or even locking up people who drive dangerously or overspeed - it used to be reasonable till a few years back (with some small leeway in speeding), but now the state govts are ruthless in squeezing out their revenue and there is zero tolerance.

For eg; I got fined & lost demerit points for doing 62km/h in a 60 km/h zone! This is a very common occurrence. So, in reality, you cannot enjoy the V8s except for the rumbling audio (and maybe sneering at the plebs in their non-V8s while the greenies in their look-at-what-a-nice-boy-I-am Priuses sneer right back at you as an environmental vandal!) - at most maybe an occasional blast off from the lights (but not even God can help you if a cop catches you!).

Getting almost too long to remember - 20 years!
Good to know that you own a caprice & accepting to drive a LPG variant

I do remember seeing a lot of LPG pumps (or CNG pumps ?) across Australia, specially Sydney i remember there was one right outside the airport & i entered it to fill petrol but sadly it was a dedicated LPG pump & hence had to return the car at rental return without tanking up as i was already late. Funny but memorable incident, lol.

Last edited by karan561 : 24th July 2014 at 21:52.
Old 25th July 2014, 10:15   #24
BHPian

Aah, the Commodore. I owned one for two years while I was in Australia. Like LTAutoMad rightly said, even in it's V6 avatar, it had a pretty good appetite for unleaded! Pretty quick in a straight line (even though that 4 speed autobox was really lazy, cubic capacity made up to an extent) and it was cheap to fix. Wasn't the most reliable thing on four wheels though.

Sorry for the off-topic post, but the Commodore and travelogue brought back some memories.
da_lowrider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 11:03   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_lowrider View Post
Aah, the Commodore. I owned one for two years while I was in Australia. Like LTAutoMad rightly said, even in it's V6 avatar, it had a pretty good appetite for unleaded! Pretty quick in a straight line (even though that 4 speed autobox was really lazy, cubic capacity made up to an extent) and it was cheap to fix. Wasn't the most reliable thing on four wheels though.

Sorry for the off-topic post, but the Commodore and travelogue brought back some memories.
Hey lowrider,

Good to know that you were a Commodore owner & my write up refreshed your memories

I can understand the 4 speed A/T would have been so irritating, but the large engine would take care of the lethargic gearbox, like they say;

' Aint no replacement for Displacement '
Old 30th July 2014, 12:01   #26
BHPian

Hello Karan,

I came across this just now, and I loved your write up. Especially GT86 is one of my favorite car out there. It's almost perfect. Lovely pics to support your write up.

I have driven the 86 and I loved it. Sadly I also got to drive is the A/T with a flappy gearbox and that felt nice. The sound could have been better, but that is all you can expect from 2L engine I suppose In all fairness I felt the tires are not the best, it needs an upgrade. But I couldn't drive it long enough to actually judge if it was the suspensions or the tires as it was a test drive. But yes definitely a beautiful car.

So let me go back to reading the rest of the post. I would like to know if you can rent out a car with Indian license and How much did you spend on your stay? If you have mentioned it in the later part, you need not answer as I am just getting there.

Again thanks for sharing mate, Cheers!

PS: Rating this thread a very well deserved 5 star.
voyageur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 22:30   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Hello Karan,

I came across this just now, and I loved your write up. Especially GT86 is one of my favorite car out there. It's almost perfect. Lovely pics to support your write up.
Hey 'voyageur'

Thanks for the kind words, good to know that you liked the reviews & yes undoubtedly the GT86 was my favorite too here

Quote:
I would like to know if you can rent out a car with Indian license and How much did you spend on your stay? If you have mentioned it in the later part, you need not answer as I am just getting there.
Yes, you can get the car on Indian 'card' license (not sure about the booklet one)

Regarding the stay charges;

@ Melbourne i was staying at my friends home @ Geelong.

@ Sydney i was staying at Four points Sheraton (Darling Harbour) for 156 AU$/Night

@ Gold Coast i was staying at Q1 for 175 AU$/Night

Quote:
PS: Rating this thread a very well deserved 5 star.
Thanks !