Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 7th July 2014, 23:19   #1
Default Is the Euro NCAP losing its significance?

Source: http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/indust...vant-1.1712688
And it's all good and well for the 'safety assist' rating encourage these warning gadgets and active stability control systems and so on, but surely this all belongs in a separate rating? Because there are many accidents that the best driver and active safety gizmos simply cannot prevent.

So if you want to know how well a car is going to protect you in a crash, look beyond the overall safety rating and research its adult and child occupant ratings on the EuroNCAP website.
Is the NCAP focusing on issues that are too petty, and losing it's real essence?
Should the final star rating of a car be dropped so significantly due to negligible issues like the one in the article?

I find the IIHS to be much more radical and precise. Their testing methodologies are far more transparent, and their final result PDF is extremely intuitive.
I hope that the Indian NCAP learns more from IIHS and adapts their methodologies.
prakhar1998 is offline   Reply With Quote