Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 15th July 2014, 01:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default My Maserati GranTurismo S

As an avid fan and a long time member of Team-BHP, it would only be fair for me to share with the community the first car I decided to treat myself to after a long, calculated and deliberated decision! By calculated, I mean by my heart, and certainly not from a logical, cost effective point of view.

My love of automobiles, akin to nearly all of us here on this forum, stretches back to my earliest memories. More specifically, my love for Italian sports cars also spans as long a duration. Fast forward to 2007, when Maserati showcased their new GranTurismo at the Geneva Motor Show. I found this car to be incredibly well designed, but I didn't immediately fall in love with it. Perhaps this was down to the choice of colours showcased on the podium and the initial press release, or just down to the simple fact that I hadn't yet come across one in person to truly make an informed opinion. Several months down the line, I spotted a parked GranTurismo in person in London, and it blew me away. The curves were profound yet proportional, and I found it very difficult to fault the way it looked in person. It was a testament to what a modern day Italian grand tourer should look like. It possessed refinement yet rawness, without losing that exclusivity and uniqueness that Maserati oozes. Needless to say, I was in love.

Over the next few years, I came across several of these on the roads of London, Europe and even saw two on separate occasions during my annual trips to India. Hearing these rumble at low revs and howl at higher revs around town honestly made me weak in the knees. Their sound is distinctive and easily identifiable. The love, rather, the lust for this machine only heightened as I aspired to one day purchase my very own. Maserati soon brought out the GranTurismo S, which bumped up the 4.2L engine to 4.7L, upping the bhp from 399 to 434. This, combined with suspension tweaks, resulted in a more invigorating and exciting driving feedback for an otherwise capable GT car. The introduction of the ’S’ drew me even more towards potential future ownership, if finances permitted me to do so!

Between late last year and earlier this year, I finally began to seriously consider ownership of the first car I would buy of my own accord, no pun intended. A short summer trip to LA last summer had me rent the Mercedes C63 AMG, which is an absolute hoot to drive and a gloriously magnificent thing to hear. As a more economical car to own in comparison to a full blown sports/super car, I very strongly considered this as a real contender. My eventual choices narrowed down to a brand new C63 AMG, or a pre-owned GranTurismo S. I briefly considered the Aston Martin Vantage as well, but I preferred 4/5 seats over 2, as I wanted to share the experience with friends and family, rather than just one individual at one point. I also wanted the car to be sensible in terms of legroom, comfort and utility to a certain degree. The C63 and GranTurismo both fit the bill being bonkers when they needed to be, but refined and comfortable enough at the same time to be sensible daily drivers. The M3, RS 4/5 unfortunately never excited me enough to warrant primary ownership.

It all finally boiled down to going with my true gut instinct and reverting to that one car that ticked all the right boxes and made me feel special just at the thought of being able to drive it, being able to look at it and above all, being able to say to myself that I actually own it! Without much further deliberation, I put my money where my heart has always been, and found a beautiful pre-owned example from 2010 with low miles and in a fantastic, “like-new” condition.

I’ve rambled on long enough, so I shall let the pictures do her justice. Here’s my Maserati GranTurismo S Automatic, finished in Nero Carbonio metallic with Avorio (light tan) hide. It’s sitting on 20” Nero Neptune alloys fitted to Pirelli P-Zeros. There are several options over the ‘stock’ car that I am willing to provide in more detail should one require, but most notable of all is the addition of the Larini Performance Exhaust system. This features remote controlled valves that can be open and closed via a little fob depending on the driver’s requirement. In the open position, this car is incredibly loud and it is by far one of the most sublime V8 exhaust notes I have ever heard. The bellowing and thunderous roar is tremendous, and the crackling blips on downshifts makes me grin like a little child. I am constantly requested to rev the car on traffic lights, and it’s really something I can never get tired of complying to! With the valves shut, she has a light purr that is sporty but not frightening! Nevertheless, here she is:
Attached Images

aniguchisan is offline   (47) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 02:30   #2
BHPian

Default Re: My Maserati GranTurismo S

WOW what a beauty. Congrats buddy for the wonderful possession.
Would love to read about your first drive experience, how you felt and some interior shots will be icing on the cake.
mandhir.s.bajwa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 03:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandhir.s.bajwa View Post
WOW what a beauty. Congrats buddy for the wonderful possession.
Would love to read about your first drive experience, how you felt and some interior shots will be icing on the cake.
Thanks Mandhir! I've had the car now for about four months and covered nearly 3000 miles/5000km in it already! There's been a lot of daily driving and also a fair few drives to towns around London. Towns outside London allow highway drives where you can really open her up the way a grand tourer should. Will post interior photos and a more comprehensive driving review in the very near future.
aniguchisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 03:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on this. Not everyday you get to see this car from the owners perspective. Exhaust noise along with interior shots please.

You do write like you got oil in your blood

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 04:18   #5
BHPian

Congrats on the car buddy.

Is this the first ownership reveiw of Maserati on the forum or there is something else? Anyways, please post some interior shots and provide us with information about engine specifications.

Hope you will have a long term relationship with the Beast.

Drive safe.
JoseVijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 10:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations buddy and wishing you many happy miles on this one.

She does look great and I can imagine how much fun she is to drive around.

In your heart you always wanted this one right? And the other cars your had considered were just excuses, but deep down it was always the Maser correct?

Enjoy and drive safe.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 10:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wow! What a car to own! Many Congratulations :-)

How about some interior pics as well. All the best and drive safe.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 15:07   #8
BHPian

Wowie!!! She is such a beauty. Its sure a priced possession.
Like others, I am now eagerly waiting to see the interiors and if possible upload her roar.

BTW, Kitna deti hai
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 06:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Congrats on this. Not everyday you get to see this car from the owners perspective. Exhaust noise along with interior shots please.

You do write like you got oil in your blood

Maddy
Many thanks. Gasoline all through my veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Congrats on the car buddy.

Is this the first ownership reveiw of Maserati on the forum or there is something else? Anyways, please post some interior shots and provide us with information about engine specifications.

Hope you will have a long term relationship with the Beast.

Drive safe.
Thanks a lot. I believe there was one brief initial review of a GranTurismo 4.2L way back in 2008, but have not come across a comprehensive longer term review of one here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Congratulations buddy and wishing you many happy miles on this one.

She does look great and I can imagine how much fun she is to drive around.

In your heart you always wanted this one right? And the other cars your had considered were just excuses, but deep down it was always the Maser correct?

Enjoy and drive safe.
Correct. A million times over. Even with her temperamental Italian ways, she's still the one I have always wanted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Wow! What a car to own! Many Congratulations :-)

How about some interior pics as well. All the best and drive safe.
Many thanks. Interior pics coming up right up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Wowie!!! She is such a beauty. Its sure a priced possession.
Like others, I am now eagerly waiting to see the interiors and if possible upload her roar.

BTW, Kitna deti hai
Thanks a lot. As for 'kitna deti hai' - since you ask, I usually get about 18mpg (~7.5 kmpl) on smooth highway driving and about 12mpg (~5 kmpl) in the city. It's really not great at all, but then again, this is definitely something you anticipate when getting one of these beasts!

Last edited by aniguchisan : 16th July 2014 at 06:50. Reason: Added kmpl conversions to mpg
aniguchisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 07:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

As promised, some interior photos I shot earlier today. It was a scintillatingly warm and beautiful summer's day in London today, so natural sunlight was in plenty of abundance. Perfect for a spot of amateur automotive photography
Attached Thumbnails
My Maserati GranTurismo S-dsc_0093.jpg  

My Maserati GranTurismo S-dsc_0082-copy.jpg  

My Maserati GranTurismo S-dsc_0094.jpg  

My Maserati GranTurismo S-dsc_0095.jpg  

My Maserati GranTurismo S-dsc_0096.jpg  

My Maserati GranTurismo S-dsc_0079.jpg  

My Maserati GranTurismo S-dsc_0091.jpg  

aniguchisan is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 07:11   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow!

Car looks beautiful, Congratulations on owning one of the best cars that are in sale today. Once in this segment, the 'kitna deti hai' question is not applicable.

Awaiting more pictures and details.

Drive safe.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 09:30   #12
BHPian

Congratulations on owning that magnificent black beauty. Needless to say, I envy you. And I must say, that is one well maintained car. I wouldn't have known it was pre-owned had you not revealed it. Take good care of her and drive safe.

And yes, more pictures please.
sunny310c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014, 15:19   #13
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Thats one devillishly gorgeous machine you've got there mate!
Looks business in Nero Carbonio. Congrats!

Can you tell us more on the aftermarket bits on this? And I really think you must get the headlamps tinted/smoked, will make her look even meaner.
A.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014, 20:08   #14
BHPian

Congratulations, aniguchisan, on realising your dream! The GranTurismo is my favourite car too. It is a strikingly beautiful car and many (including auto journalists) have praised its sheer beauty, not to speak of that glorious exhaust note.
LTAutoMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 16:11   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the GT. It looks killer in Black. You must be loving the sweet exhaust note.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the GT.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote