Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 12th September 2014, 12:04   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Rumour: Top Gear to replace Jeremy Clarkson

The man is a legend! I feel very strongly about Clarkson and the show Top Gear. I mean honestly, I watch any episode at random before I call it a night! Its like a norm now.

The humour atleast for me, never ceases to be funny. Their peculiar way of doing things especially Clarkson! No other car show I've ever watched can deliver such sort of entertainment. Its more like all things British and cars! I mean come on if you just wanted to know of the cars features and performance you could go read the spec sheet or perhaps pick up a magazine for a detailed review.

In the TG DVD "The Perfect Road Trip", the segment where jezza very suprisingly choses a Porsche Cayman S (Hammond - the Huayra) for hot laps around Monza.

Jezza - "The cars cornering balance is near perfect. Neutral but un-nervingly predictable on a balanced throttle and biased ever so slightly to understeer if you throttle up before you begin easing the lateral load out of the front tires. Not my words, the words of Autocar magazine"

Hammond - "What do those words actually mean?"

Jezza - "I have no idea, but I'm going back out there to throttle up before I begin easing the lateral load out of the front tires. "

*drives around a bit*

Jezza - "Now you see Autocar, thats oversteer! Sometimes you read road tests and wonder what are you on about? .. Its a really nice car and you can get the arse out!"

I mean this is it! Had it been Chris Harris or even Tiff Needle they would have straight cut to a physics lesson then and there and began to explain to viewers what does that mean.

BBC has been getting away with his notoriousness since a very long time now and theres a reason to it. He has immense value to them and being one of the largest broadcasting networks in the world, I guess they have the power to further do so too. Rubbish rumours!

Top Gear is Clarkson - Period!

Last edited by n:CorE : 12th September 2014 at 12:21.
n:CorE is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 13:38   #47
BHPian

TG without Clarkson just wouldn't be the same.

His irreverent views have often got him into trouble, but he has fan following which extends way beyond the British Isles.

Even contemplating such a move amounts to sheer lunacy.

In the event the BBC decides to pull the plug on his show (out of political correctness or by virtue of being uptight), I am sure Channel 4 would welcome him & his team with open warms.
bikertillidie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 14:05   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Again, I'd like to bring in Australia and USA.
The Americans have their own American TopGear which is absolutely pathetic.

When we lived in the US we did get TopGear via, I think it was BBC world services. But it was always old episodes.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 14:07   #49

This would be a stupid move IMO. A lot of my non-enthusiast friends watch Top Gear purely because of Jeremy's anecdotes. Top Gear would become just like any other *factual* car show if you take Jeremy (or any of the other two blokes for that matter) out of it.
tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 16:49   #50
BANNED

How do you run a car show when you run out of ideas? Take a cue from Top gear. From a show who's original intent was purely reviewing automobiles they have morphed into building bridges across the river kwai and driving tractors. Their humour has lost its comic timing a long time ago and they now compete with other wannabe B grade comedy skits rather than stick to being an auto show. Exceptions such as the review of the Veyron at Ehre Lessien remain but they are few and far between.

Jeremy Clarkson realised quite a while ago that Britain's car industry is all but dead. He also realised that viewership ratings increases in direct proportion to the severity of criticism / ridicule. A little later he realised that the viewership ratings would increase even further if he extended his criticism / ridicule to the country of manufacture of cars under review and its people. Now he just ridicules anything and everything that moves or sits still.

As already indicated, none of this ridiculing is to be taken seriously and it is only to be seen as the last desperate attempts to maintain viewership ratings when nothing else remains.

Driving tractors, lorries, cycles or building bridges along with very little automotive knowledge or review worth taking seriously.

I hope we've seen the last of Jeremy Clarkson & Co.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 12th September 2014 at 16:54.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 18:04   #51

Unhappy Re: Rumour: Top Gear to replace Jeremy Clarkson

Top Gear is not a show about cars. Its about Clarkson. Inspite of him being utterly racist I still love him because he presents a car not a piece of machine but as a living being. He doesn't go and bore you shouting out bhp and acceleration numbers. He talks about the whole experience you get with the car. Still remember his piece on the Disco Volante. Wow!

Also hats off to the director and the film crew as they captures the moments so well and the blue lens they use just makes the whole show look so cool.
racer_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 18:16   #52
BHPian

Hi,

I found this link on internet and thought to share.

"Jeremy Clarkson will return to Top Gear next year unless he is eaten by a pack of wild dogs".

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...s-9726247.html
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 19:24   #53
Senior - BHPian

I realise that we call madrasi and northie as much as he says slope and N word and in all ways thats equally racist.

From BBC perspective its a difficult situation for them for they have to take a stand or warn him once for all.

But personally these slurs are passed everyday around us.

Calling a dark person blackie is so common in chennai, and calling a fair one whitey, short one a "kulla" and fat ones "gundoos" and the list can go on.

My take would be, we should be equally intolerant to any racial slur and correct ourselves.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 20:44   #54
BHPian

That's one of the most unwanted news I could ever get. TopGear without Clarkson? Infact at times I used to wonder what would happen to the show when Clarkson will not be there. But his unavaibility should not be because BBC decide to drop him. If it is really true then they are going to lose a lot of viewers worldwide specially those non-car people.

With all due respect to Hammond and May, I think he is the reason why this show is so successful specially outside Britain. He is the person who showed that a car show can be presented with a dash of humor. Yes some of his comments are controversial but I will never rate them as racist. If with all his controversial comments he managed to do over 21 seasons then all of a sudden what is stopping them from continuing with him. We all are gonna miss him badly. I wish BBC never even think of doing something like that.
Carpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 23:50   #55
Senior - BHPian

Sad times indeed for Top Gear Fans - if Jeremy Clarkson were to disappear from it. The show is really held together by him, some even go so far as to say - that he conceptualizes the episode story lines , quite unlike other anchors!
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2014, 06:46   #56
BANNED

Top Gear has been around since 1977 - for more than 37 years - and not since 1991 as indicated by some. So those who have been following Top Gear since the beginning will realise the decline in the show from a true blue auto enthusiasts point of view (a true blue auto enthusiast is not one who buys a car in India for it's sun roof so that his son can stand up and put his head out)

The earlier shows had equally iconic co-anchors such as Tiff Needel and Quentin Wilson who presented the show along with Jeremy. So to say that Jeremy Clarkson is the best is the equivalent of saying Michael Schumacher is the best by someone who hasn't heard of Ayrton Senna. Tiff and Quentin went on to start Fifth Gear, a show that you can rely on to know about cars or see guys having fun with cars all the time.

Why is the Stig's personality not revealed and why he is deliberately run down by Jeremy? Because an ace driver would automatically draw the fan following towards him with his driving skills and would take the glory away from Jeremy.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2014, 07:37   #57
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (14)

Quote:
There's a horrible rumo..............
.............It would be just gear, no top.

http://topgearfanclub.com/chris-evan...remy-clarkson/
Not much of a loss I should say. No doubt BBC TG in its earlier avatars owed much of its popularity to this Clarkson chap.
But I (and a substantial minority of old followers of the rag) feel that it was more his plummy accent and the fact that he owned a country estate - plus of course his decidedly breezy English sense of humour - that contributed to his popularity.

While not exactly a case of good riddance to bad rubbish, I'd think BBC TG will hobble along well enough without him - assuming the rumor to be true.
shashanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2014, 07:54   #58
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I realise that we call madrasi and northie as much as he says slope and N word and in all ways thats equally...........
............My take would be, we should be equally intolerant to any racial slur and correct ourselves.
Well said VW2010! That is the need of the hour - correct ourselves & our prejudices first.
As for old Jeremy, I guess it boils down to personal preferences. I mean I have been rooting for British humor - Wodehouse, Chesterton, Waugh included - since as far back as I can remember. But Clarkson was getting a little l - o - n - g in the tooth! As someone said in this forum a couple of posts back, maybe its time for some new blood.
shashanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2014, 10:04   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Top Gear has been around since 1977 - for more than 37 years - and not since 1991 as indicated by some. So those who have been following Top Gear since the beginning will realise the decline in the show from a true blue auto enthusiasts point of view (a true blue auto enthusiast is not one who buys a car in India for it's sun roof so that his son can stand up and put his head out)

The earlier shows had equally iconic co-anchors such as Tiff Needel and Quentin Wilson who presented the show along with Jeremy. So to say that Jeremy Clarkson is the best is the equivalent of saying Michael Schumacher is the best by someone who hasn't heard of Ayrton Senna. Tiff and Quentin went on to start Fifth Gear, a show that you can rely on to know about cars or see guys having fun with cars all the time.

Why is the Stig's personality not revealed and why he is deliberately run down by Jeremy? Because an ace driver would automatically draw the fan following towards him with his driving skills and would take the glory away from Jeremy.
That it has been around for so long, and the viewing public only knows the current format, says volumes about the previous guys.
For all their knowledge and capability, needell and the others were, and still are the true dinosaurs, basically speaking and presenting what they would have done in a review in the sunday papers.
JC and company recognized that they could connect with a whole larger audience by working on an entertainment base, rather than limiting themselves. The others, meanwhile, while working on the supposed true-blue auto enthusiast, have remained stuck with bad presentation, dull rhetoric, and an unearthly airing slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Not much of a loss I should say. No doubt BBC TG in its earlier avatars owed much of its popularity to this Clarkson chap.
But I (and a substantial minority of old followers of the rag) feel that it was more his plummy accent and the fact that he owned a country estate - plus of course his decidedly breezy English sense of humour - that contributed to his popularity.

While not exactly a case of good riddance to bad rubbish, I'd think BBC TG will hobble along well enough without him - assuming the rumor to be true.
Fortunately, BBC have better management sense than this. With his numbers, viewership and financial, every news indicates this is a rumor only.
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2014, 10:57   #60
BANNED

Quote:
That it has been around for so long, and the viewing public only knows the current format, says volumes about the previous guys.
For all their knowledge and capability, needell and the others were, and still are the true dinosaurs, basically speaking and presenting what they would have done in a review in the sunday papers.
JC and company recognized that they could connect with a whole larger audience by working on an entertainment base, rather than limiting themselves. The others, meanwhile, while working on the supposed true-blue auto enthusiast, have remained stuck with bad presentation, dull rhetoric, indicates this is a rumor only.
Using colorful adjectives to support one's point of view doesn't establish reality or facts. Just helps in establishing that there aren't any valid points to counter a view or prove a statement.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote