Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 19th November 2014, 16:53   #1
BHPian

Default Coming up, TopGear China! When do we get ours?!

Just got to know even China is getting their own TopGear now! Starting this November!

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/wor...top-gear-china
Quote:
BBC Worldwide has inked a deal with Honyee Media in China to produce a Chinese version of Top Gear, the most watched factual programme in the world. The contract was sealed during a signing ceremony between Honyee Media and BBC Worldwide in Beijing at Honyee’s Extreme Drive Night event over the weekend.

Production of the series is due to start in late July with the premiere in early November 2014 on one of China’s most watched satellite broadcasters, Shanghai Dragon TV and on OTT platform, iqiyi.com.

Top Gear China will feature many elements familiar to global audiences including ‘Star in a Reasonably Priced Car’ and a Chinese version the enigmatic Stig. The series is expected to film in locations like Inner Mongolia, Xinjiang, Chongqing, Guizhou, Shanghai, Beijing, and Wuxi.
There's also a video of their opening track. Looks pretty good, won't understand a word though! Check it out!
http://www.carthrottle.com/top-gear-...retty-awesome/

It's time even we get our own TopGear India show

Mods please merge the post and delete this note, if there isn't a need for a separate thread.
nishantdlv is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 12:05   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Coming up, TopGear China! When do we get ours?!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to The International Automotive Scene. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 12:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Apparently it's up on YouTube as well.

Would love to see an Indian Top Gear, but China does have access to a much larger variety of cars. If it does ever get produced here, I hope it isn't another "Car and Bike Show"
Tushar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 13:14   #4
BHPian

...cue the intro music...

Tonight, Rishabh drives a Swift VDI through traffic, Jasmeet gets run over by an auto rickshaw, and I take a bus to visit my in-laws!

Hello & welcome! Now, on this show, we are often criticized for not testing enough super cars, cars that can be bought by the super rich, the elite. We are also criticized for not testing cars that are fun to drive, cars that will appeal to an enthusiast, to someone who wants to take the car out just for a spin because its the right weather, and not another Monday morning rush hour commute.

And, tonight is no different! As Rishabh shall now demonstrate, with his Swift VDI...

Would you watch this ? 'Nuff said

P.S: No offence meant to Swift VDI owners
sourav9385 is offline   (16) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 13:46   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Tonight, Rishabh drives a Swift VDI through traffic, Jasmeet gets run over by an auto rickshaw, and I take a bus to visit my in-laws!
Priceless!

But your comment also aptly demonstrates the problem in India - we've got a huge number of run-of-the-mill-cars, and a small selection of high-end/aspirational cars. Not enough to run a show like TG on.

Maybe they could focus more on the offroading scene?

Riffing on your theme: "Rishabh tackles the treacherous roads of Bangalore using an i10"
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 14:36   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Priceless!
Thanks!

Other stuff aside, I don't think an average Indian has anything to do with cars these days, as long as it takes him/her from A to B in the least amount of money and maximum fuel efficiency. So making a car show for a country that is dominated by saas-bahu serials and reality shows, isn't the best idea IMO.

Also, I don't think a program like that would work in our country. Somehow, I feel that Indians don't like or even get sarcasm. They prefer goofy slapstick comedy. Take a look at any of the recent block buster 100 crore movies. It's all extremely crude humor mate.
sourav9385 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 14:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, I don't think a program like that would work in our country. Somehow, I feel that Indians don't like or even get sarcasm.
You're right. People are just looking to create an issue over here. Besides, TG UK has set the precedent too high. Granted it goes a tad overboard with the goofy factor, but we're accustomed to it. Any Indian spin-off would likely backfire..BAD
Tushar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 17:09   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Any Indian spin-off would likely backfire..BAD
So true. In fact, I'd do one step further to say that any spin-off will backfire. Look at Top Gear USA, it is absolutely pathetic!!! And that's despite having a large car market & rather high production budget.

Even if an Indian edition of Top Gear is ever released, I'm pretty sure us fans will stick to watching Top Gear UK.

Quote:
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 17:41   #9
BHPian

Instead, follow what James Bond and other Hollywood characters are doing.
Make Jeremy & Co talk in Hindi/all possible India languages i.e. get a good dialogue writer and dub.
Seriously? I know. I am not serious.

How is Top Gear Australia show. Did anyway watch it?
BusyBoyKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 17:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

And imagine the Indian cousin of the stig, paunchy and eating pakora's in the car with hari chatni :P
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 22:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
And imagine the Indian cousin of the stig, paunchy and eating pakora's in the car with hari chatni :P
Haha! Good one there!

Quote:
Other stuff aside, I don't think an average Indian has anything to do with cars these days, as long as it takes him/her from A to B in the least amount of money and maximum fuel efficiency. So making a car show for a country that is dominated by saas-bahu serials and reality shows, isn't the best idea IMO..
Well, I feel this is because people have not been much exposed to such automobile oriented programs with good content and scripts. Whatever shows we have are just based on reviewing new cars and majorly are tasteless. Even we are FE minded, all are, even in the UK, but still we watch TopGear UK for the content and presentation.

For instance, we do enjoy our road trips in our cars, on our roads. No matter how the roads are, no matter what car we drive, we love it. Yes we crib, but after all we enjoy it. This is what they do, pick up a cheap second hand car, and drive across states. We watch it for the content and its quality. So if something similar is filmed here, why wont we watch it?
Maybe I'm being a little too optimistic

Quote:
Also, I don't think a program like that would work in our country. Somehow, I feel that Indians don't like or even get sarcasm. They prefer goofy slapstick comedy. Take a look at any of the recent block buster 100 crore movies. It's all extremely crude humor mate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So true. In fact, I'd do one step further to say that any spin-off will backfire. Look at Top Gear USA, it is absolutely pathetic!!! And that's despite having a large car market & rather high production budget.

Even if an Indian edition of Top Gear is ever released, I'm pretty sure us fans will stick to watching Top Gear UK.
Totally agree on this part! Indians do not get sarcasm and severely lack sense of humor! Imagine a similar scene here, where Jeremy jokes about God! Riots will strike!

Yes. Nothing beats TopGear UK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBoyKK View Post
Instead, follow what James Bond and other Hollywood characters are doing.
Make Jeremy & Co talk in Hindi/all possible India languages i.e. get a good dialogue writer and dub.
Seriously? I know. I am not serious.
Well not a bad idea must say! And premiering it on maybe some more popular channels and not AXN.

Last edited by nishantdlv : 20th November 2014 at 22:54.
nishantdlv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2014, 08:15   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Top gear USA is proof that the mischief Clarkson, May, Hammond and the Stig are up to in Top Gear UK is half the charm of that show.

I'm sure the filming of Top Gear UK costs a LOT of money; be it the casts' salaries or the producing all those special episodes and I'm very skeptical if there's that amount of money for such an endeavor.

If there ever is a Top Gear India, I pray the cast is worthy. The cast of TG USA is like a bunch of blondes at a science fair.

And the guests. You wouldn't want our Bollywood folks going there to sit pretty and promote their new movies.

All in all, let's just pay Top Gear UK to come to India every now and then; they can fool around with vehicles and roads and pile tremendous amount of well-intended insults in the process.
libranof1987 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2014, 11:13   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

In my opinion, local versions of these iconic shows may work in Non-English speaking countries like China – for those who have real trouble in understanding the nuances and humour when presented in English. The Aussie and American spin-offs are mediocre, and I don’t see a remote chance for the Indian version to be successful. It will be straightaway get compared with the original and will be panned within no time.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote