Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 16th December 2014, 12:01   #31
Team-BHP Support
Default Re: Japan Report: Toyota Mirai Hydrogen Fuel Cell Car, and Toyota's Safety Technology

Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
If "Steam Reforming" is the industrial way to produce Hydrogen , then we are basically using methane and steam to create hydrogen and CO2 -> So the while the user feels happy about not polluting the environment by using hydrogen, its not exactly environment friendly if you look at the process from source... Also, they will still have to run after methane and natural gas supplies.

Pl correct me if I am wrong - I hope there are cleaner ways to produce Hydrogen in mass scale. I am trying to imagine a scenario if 100% of automobiles run on hydrogen . While this is a very good start, I think the real innovation will be on how hydrogen can be made available in large scale, without depending on fossil fuels of any sort.

Water as the end product also offers endless possibilities - if all automobiles produce water, and if there is a way to build in a process to recycle that water effectively, that will be an added plus!
I am sure there are many ways to mass produce Hydrogen. My research showed me this Steam Reformation is the most widely used. Strong emphasis on My in the previous sentence.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 23:25   #32
Default Re: Japan Report: Toyota Mirai Hydrogen Fuel Cell Car, and Toyota's Safety Technology

I did a project in my school where i had tried to sell the idea of hydrogen as a domestic fuel, initially as a mixture to LPG (as tech was not that developed). We went into the science sumit and people laughed!

I am the one laughing now, but personal tirades apart, this is one heck of a concept and THE future, whoever thought ICE would still be the best way to produce a green car. Toyota really is innovating and hats off to them! Given that all EVs have a host of environment related issues (Yes, that is correct!). From the way the batteries are produced to the way they have to be disposed. This is a great idea, and the only thing that the engine produces will be water, who would not like that!

I only wish we can convert that water and make it available to the drivers and passengers in some way!
prasanna.vps is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote