Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread

Old 19th August 2015, 16:07   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Next generation Hyundai Elantra caught on test

IMHO the biggest drawback of the current Elantra is that a layman is not able to distinguish it from the Verna, especially when seen alone. This turns away many people who buy cars for show-off. Hope Hyundai addresses this issue in the next version.
Old 19th August 2015, 18:34   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
IMHO the biggest drawback of the current Elantra is that a layman is not able to distinguish it from the Verna, especially when seen alone. This turns away many people who buy cars for show-off. Hope Hyundai addresses this issue in the next version.

Even the VWs look alike right from the Polo to the Jetta and maybe even the Passat. So it's more the family image kind of thing.
They others I can think of are the Mercs,Audis and the Beemers. All look the same in different sizes.
Arjun Reddy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 20:44   #18
BHPian

I hate to say this but it looks like Hyundai is again taking inspiration from Jag. With that being said,I have to say it is a very good looking car.
Old 19th August 2015, 20:53   #19
BHPian

Seems like it is going to be a baby Genesis. Which is good news in my opinion.
Did I read a 1.6 liter Diesel producing 174 bhp? Think it's a Typo.
Hope that Hyundai do enough to differentiate it from the verna.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 09:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
I hate to say this but it looks like Hyundai is again taking inspiration from Jag. With that being said,I have to say it is a very good looking car.
Hmmm...where have I seen that headlight before?
Name:  el xe.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  77.5 KB

Last edited by GKR9900 : 20th August 2015 at 09:48.
GKR9900 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 13:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

Why is it every time when Hyundai teases or launches a new model are we working overtime to find which brand was copied? Not to offend anyone here, but Hyundai has moved far beyond those Jag and Merc-copying days. Fluidic Sculpture was a great beginning and with the current design talents at their disposal, Hyundai-Kia are a automotive design powerhouse today.

Most manufacturers dish out inspired designs these days and the market has accepted them well. Ford's grills are straight from Aston Martin, Honda in recent years have come out with models that bear more than a passing resemblance to some of its competitors, the relaunched Datsun models have grills lifted straight from Hyundai and even Mahindra's latest TUV300 looks very much like a Land Rover when viewed from the rear.

If Hyundai is bringing in the upmarket design cues that were hitherto seen in luxury cars, so be it! That bodes well for the industry and for customers like us who can't afford to drive a luxury car and take solace in driving a car that looks plush and upmarket but doesn't necessarily burn a hole in the pocket. I'm referring to the i20 here, by the way!

Last edited by arvi86 : 20th August 2015 at 13:08.
arvi86 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 13:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Why is it every time when Hyundai teases or launches a new model are we working overtime to find which brand was copied?
I think Hyundai-Kia have enjoyed a free run for a long time now, and as the #4 auto manufacturer in the world today they also have the responsibility to bring in innovation in design and technology.

If one of the leading manufacturers decides to be a production and marketing player, who is going to drive innovation? Money comes from volumes, and part of the responsibility of being a market leader is also to take the industry forward since you have the momentum and the money to do so.

Its time we demanded more from the Chaebol.
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 14:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
as the #4 auto manufacturer in the world today they also have the responsibility to bring in innovation in design and technology
But so do Toyota, General Motors and Volkswagen ahead of them and Ford, Renault-Nissan, Honda and others behind them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Its time we demanded more from the Chaebol.
We have the right to demand but my point was we are being a bit harsher than usual if its a new Hyundai model being teased or launched. That's it.
arvi86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 14:54   #24
BHPian

The teaser image is striking! Especially in this black and white image. Probably silver colour looks similar to this?
I hope the production version is as good as this. It would be nice to see such cars on our roads.
With this "straight from other planet" looks, may be a slightly beefed up engine, Hyundai can jack up the prices by atleast 2 lakhs variant by variant, and it can fill the void created by Sonata.
hybridpetrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 19:51   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

More official teaser sketches are out of the 2016 Elantra/Avante:

Name:  2016HyundaiElantraAvanteSketches1.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  19.7 KB

Name:  2016HyundaiElantraAvanteSketches2.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  2016HyundaiElantraAvanteSketches3.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  21.7 KB

Name:  2016HyundaiElantraAvanteSketches4.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  25.7 KB

Name:  2016HyundaiElantraAvanteSketches5.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  31.0 KB

Name:  2016HyundaiElantraAvanteSketches6.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  15.7 KB

Name:  2016HyundaiElantraAvanteSketches7.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  23.4 KB

Quote:
Also called the Avante is some markets, the new Elantra has been designed by Peter Schreyer, Hyundai’s newly recruited design boss. Why is the name worth mentioning? Because this man is mostly responsible for penning the first-generation Audi TT, widely considered to be one of the most influential automotive designs of all time.

No further official details are available right now, but it is expected to be powered by a 1.6-liter T-GDi engine making 175 hp, mated to Hyundai’s new seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox. A global unveiling will happen either at the Frankfurt Auto Show in September or at the Los Angeles Auto Show in November. Details about its Indian entry will come thereafter.

Now where have we seen those horizontal taillights before, I wonder?

Bingo!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 20th August 2015 at 19:52.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 21:15   #26
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Now where have we seen those horizontal taillights before, I wonder?

Bingo!
Where else?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  20.1 KB
(Image courtesy: TAI)

It has to be Peter Schreyer's signature touch for the tail-lamps, no doubt.

Simply looks fantabulous when lit up at night!

Last edited by RSR : 20th August 2015 at 21:36.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 21:26   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Why is it every time when Hyundai teases or launches a new model are we working overtime to find which brand was copied? Not to offend anyone here, but Hyundai has moved far beyond those Jag and Merc-copying days. Fluidic Sculpture was a great beginning and with the current design talents at their disposal, Hyundai-Kia are a automotive design powerhouse today.

Most manufacturers dish out inspired designs these days and the market has accepted them well. Ford's grills are straight from Aston Martin, Honda in recent years have come out with models that bear more than a passing resemblance to some of its competitors, the relaunched Datsun models have grills lifted straight from Hyundai and even Mahindra's latest TUV300 looks very much like a Land Rover when viewed from the rear.

If Hyundai is bringing in the upmarket design cues that were hitherto seen in luxury cars, so be it! That bodes well for the industry and for customers like us who can't afford to drive a luxury car and take solace in driving a car that looks plush and upmarket but doesn't necessarily burn a hole in the pocket. I'm referring to the i20 here, by the way!
Ford owned Aston Martin and is responsible for the rebirth of pretty Aston's,starting from the DB7. The Elite i20 to me has an Audi front grille and alfa romeo Guiletta tail lights. The Santa Fe's rear bears an uncanny similarity to the Audi Q5.
I do agree that honda,especially the City has beemer inspired tail lamps but Mahindra is a small car maker. An automotive group as big as Hyundai should at least start using its own creativity now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Where else?

Attachment 1405587

It has to be Peter Shreyer's signature touch for the tail-lamps, no doubt.

Simply looks fantabulous when lit up at night!
Name:  2016AlfaRomeo1591.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  15.0 KB

Last edited by Doge : 20th August 2015 at 21:35.
Old 20th August 2015, 22:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why is it every time when Hyundai teases or launches a new model are we working overtime to find which brand was copied? Not to offend anyone here, but Hyundai has moved far beyond those Jag and Merc-copying days.
Overtime not required. With Hyundai, its fairly easy to know where their inspiration comes from.

While they have moved on from the Sonata with Merc front and Jag rear days, their designs are nothing unique and are heavily inspired from others.

No one called them ugly; well inspired and executed is what it is.

P.S: Ford copied the Aston Martin grill. Period. No leniency because they owned Aston Martin once upon a time. Come on
kiku007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 01:06   #29
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
I couldn't spot the triple pod design on that i.e. two pods on the hatch/bootlid and one at the extremity, that's shared between the i20 and next gen. Elantra.

Quote:
I do agree that honda, especially the City has beemer inspired tail lamps but Mahindra is a small car maker.
Do you mean to say every horizontal tail lamp design is a copy of another? Which one is the supposed "master template" for some common vertical tail lamp designs in your book, then? And for roundish designs?

Quote:
An automotive group as big as Hyundai should at least start using its own creativity now.
Who provided the supposed inspiration for their "Fluidic Design" theme from the Eon to the Verna RB to the Elantra MD to the Sonata YF, whose elements were most shamelessly copied by a quite a few other car makers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Did I read a 1.6 liter Diesel producing 174 bhp? Think it's a Typo.
It's a 1.6 turbo-charged gasoline direct injector motor, or T-GDi.

Last edited by RSR : 21st August 2015 at 01:34.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 16:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

New Hyundai Elantra leaked ahead of official unveil.

Name:  0_468_700_http___172_17_115_180_82_ExtraImages_20150311053259_2016HyundaiElantraleaked.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  26.0 KB

Based on an all-new platform, the new Elantra will likely feature a 1.6-litre turbo petrol engine from the new Tucson.

Quote:
The car will feature a four-cylinder diesel engine along with Hyundai’s new 1.6-litre T-GDI turbo petrol engine from the new Tucson. It generates about 174bhp. The car is expected to be offered with two choices in transmission - a six-speed manual or a seven-speed double clutch automatic gearbox.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...il-393827.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th August 2015 at 16:33.
Closed Thread