Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 2nd February 2015, 18:07   #1
Default BMW fixes security bug in 'ConnectedDrive'

As fans of the brand and owners alike know, ConnectedDrive is a sim-based telematics software than initially was intended to surf the web, open maps, check twitter and interact with the concierge service in the case of Rolls Royce and 7 Series. Subsequently, the system was also tuned to enable remote opening of the car doors/windows using ones mobile phone (in my opinion an unnecessary feature).

That system was later found to be having a loophole which was exploited by reverse-engineering the software and hence opening the doors of the car by using a fake mobile network. This was seemingly done by a German auto-club ADAC, and BMW has acknowledged the threat by releasing a patch that secures the network and makes it relatively hack-proof.

Source :http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0V92VD20150130

Cars first began as purely mechanical machines, though reliable they had limitations, thus bringing in an electronics revolution. Electronics can fail without warning and it is still in the process of refinement. Carmakers are directly jumping to the next step i.e excessive software enabled functions in the car which can have considerable risks in the tech-obsessed world. I sincerely hope no key operations of the car are ever again assigned to be operable over a network
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote