Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 12th February 2015, 23:07   #1

Default Vega: The Sri-Lankan attempt at an Electric Supercar

A Sri-Lankan entrepreneur is leading an effort to bring out a boutique supercar named Vega. Their target is an all-electric supercar with two electric motors powering the rear wheels, giving a total of 900 horsepower and 530 pound-feet of torque, with a 0-60 Mph time of 3.5 seconds.

Here is the link to the BBC article covering the same.

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20150...power-supercar

Here are the renders for the Vega

FRONT:
Vega: The Sri-Lankan attempt at an Electric Supercar-vega-1.jpg

REAR:
Name:  Vega 2.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  55.3 KB

To me, it looks to be a sort of mash-up of the Sesto Elemento and the Veyron with bits of Audi here and there, but in a more appealing way as compared to India's very own "supercar" (), the DC Avanti.

What are your thoughts?

P.S - This is my first post in the forums. I'm open to criticism if there is anything i could to improve the post (or future posts!).
SteveSR1 is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015, 23:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Vega: The Sri-Lankan attempt at an Electric Supercar

Oh this looks amazing, the front is like some supercar manufacturing company made it.

If this got a 300-400 bhp twin turbo petrol engine or say since I am a diesel head, a 300 bhp, 65-70 kgm churning diesel motor mated to a 6 speed manual transmission, it can probably get a lot of international attention and buyers too.

Very good job.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 00:20   #3

Here is a YouTube video showing the team behind the car.

Seems to be quite a lot of young graduates/under-grads in the design team. Lot of enthusiam too. Hopefully it'll work out!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 13th February 2015 at 10:32. Reason: Fixing video embed issue.
SteveSR1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 10:03   #4
BHPian

Very interesting. I visited Sri Lanka over the Christmas vacation and they have a really amazing attitude to cars there. First of all the prices are prohibitive. I was told a new nano costs the INR equivalent of 7 lakhs! This means there's a thriving second-hand market and people invest a lot in maintaining their rides. In spite of choking traffic jams in Colombo and terrible interior roads I didn't see a single car driving around with more than a surface scratch or two. Every locality (urban or rural) has automotive repair shops selling individual parts by the hundreds (one guy sells rear view mirrors, the next has bumpers and so on). Therefore, not entirely surprising to me that they should come out with something like this. The Morris Minor also seems to be a popular model and holds its own alongside modern cars, helped by garages specializing in it's repair. The offroading scene is great too.
Attached Thumbnails
Vega: The Sri-Lankan attempt at an Electric Supercar-20141226_152009_lo_res.jpg  

Last edited by ajitkommini : 13th February 2015 at 10:08.
ajitkommini is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 12:35   #5
BHPian

Default Re: Vega: The Sri-Lankan attempt at an Electric Supercar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSR1 View Post
To me, it looks to be a sort of mash-up of the Sesto Elemento and the Veyron with bits of Audi here and there, but in a more appealing way as compared to India's very own "supercar" (), the DC Avanti.
I hope you have driven the DC Avanti before ''lol''. I have driven one of the prototypes extensively as part of the vehicle development process, and although I would not term it a super car, it is a really well-engineered car and drove really well (plenty fast for most of our roads too).

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with DC.

Cheers
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 13:26   #6

Default Re: Vega: The Sri-Lankan attempt at an Electric Supercar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
I hope you have driven the DC Avanti before ''lol''. I have driven one of the prototypes extensively as part of the vehicle development process, and although I would not term it a super car, it is a really well-engineered car and drove really well (plenty fast for most of our roads too).

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with DC.

Cheers
Exactly as you say. I have no doubts that it is fast, but its not a supercar as the manufacturer claims. They should've called it a sportscar instead.
SteveSR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 12:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Default Sri Lanka's Supercar!

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20150...power-supercar

I am truly amazed by this electric car. If they can do it, why not us. I am banking on Mahindra's to bring out something better than this.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote