Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2015, 06:07   #1
BHPian
 
sarathlal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 976
Thanked: 2,024 Times
Default Honda introduces new 9-speed automatic transmission in the 2016 Honda Pilot

The current generation Honda Pilot was launched in 2009, and today, after long 6 years, Honda introduces the third generation of this successful SUV.
Falling just behind the mammoth Odyssey in terms of sheer size, Pilot has been doing a wonderful run, just when the updated Highlander started gaining over.
Today, Honda has showcased what it is offering via the Pilot.

Honda introduces new 9-speed automatic transmission in the 2016 Honda Pilot-1.jpg
  • Powered by new 3.5-liter, direct-injected i-VTEC® V-6 engine with Variable Cylinder Management™ (VCM™) cylinder deactivation technology.
  • Idle Stop technology that shuts off the engine when the vehicle is stopped
  • 6-speed automatic transmission, or on upper trims, a Honda-first 9-speed automatic transmission
  • 300 pounds lighter than the outgoing model;
  • Modern, refined and confidently capable new Pilot launching this summer
  • Advanced and efficient Earth Dreams Technology™ powertrains
  • Class-leading safety features, fuel efficiency and driving dynamics
  • A host of new technologies and even more packaging flexibility
Honda introduces new 9-speed automatic transmission in the 2016 Honda Pilot-2.jpg

Honda introduces new 9-speed automatic transmission in the 2016 Honda Pilot-3.jpg

Honda introduces new 9-speed automatic transmission in the 2016 Honda Pilot-4.jpg

Honda introduces new 9-speed automatic transmission in the 2016 Honda Pilot-5.jpg

Honda introduces new 9-speed automatic transmission in the 2016 Honda Pilot-7.jpg

Honda introduces new 9-speed automatic transmission in the 2016 Honda Pilot-8.jpg


Source: http://www.hondanews.com/releases/al...cago-auto-show
sarathlal is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 23:13   #2
BHPian
 
budgam.boonyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Srinagar
Posts: 38
Thanked: 64 Times
Default Re: Honda introduces new 9-speed automatic transmission in the 2016 Honda Pilot

I have owned every version of this car. The first gen was the most fun to drive and versatile midsize (US sizes) SUV you could buy at the time. Refined enough to chuck around a bit (for its size) and capable enough for light off-road work (Sand Dunes, Snow etc). The midlife refresh in 2006 killed the fun to drive aspect (stability control) but the rest of the quality remained intact.

The second generation car that i currently drive is not worthy of a Honda badge. It is a very capable and reliable car but it has lost the Honda-ness and I would go as far as to say the interiors are crude for the class. I bought it in college as a used car that i could use and to an extent abuse for 5 years with no hassles. In that capacity it has excelled. I remember soon after it was launched reading a financial column in which one of the Honda engineers was quoted saying "the bean counters won that fight" while referring to current gen pilot.

Now with the all new pilot i can at-least say that they are trying to go back to their old ways. Looks impressive!



If you live in North America or Middle East expect to see these in ever third house in the suburbs.

Will try to get a test drive before leaving for India.
budgam.boonyi is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 00:18   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 521
Thanked: 450 Times
Default Re: Honda introduces new 9-speed automatic transmission in the 2016 Honda Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
The current generation Honda Pilot was launched in 2009, and today, after long 6 years, Honda introduces the third generation of this successful SUV.

Today, Honda has showcased what it is offering via the Pilot.
  • 6-speed automatic transmission, or on upper trims, a Honda-first 9-speed automatic transmission
Thanks for sharing the information about such premium vehicle, sarathlal.

I have only one query:
What is the use of 9 speed AT? Will the tranny not keep shifting too frequently unnecessarily?

Unless the engine has a number of irregular zones in the torque curve! But I won't expect that from Honda.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 02:12   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,896
Thanked: 2,477 Times
Default Re: Honda introduces new 9-speed automatic transmission in the 2016 Honda Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgam.boonyi View Post
I have owned every version of this car. The first gen was the most fun to drive and versatile midsize (US sizes) SUV you could buy at the time. Refined enough to chuck around a bit (for its size) and capable enough for light off-road work (Sand Dunes, Snow etc). The midlife refresh in 2006 killed the fun to drive aspect (stability control) but the rest of the quality remained intact.

Now with the all new pilot i can at-least say that they are trying to go back to their old ways. Looks impressive!

If you live in North America or Middle East expect to see these in ever third house in the suburbs.

Will try to get a test drive before leaving for India.
Yeah i really like the New pilot, its now very comparable to the MDX & infact has a better UI interface.

They are now adding the 9 speed gearbox & push button gear selector in the 2016 MDX too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Thanks for sharing the information about such premium vehicle, sarathlal.

I have only one query:
What is the use of 9 speed AT? Will the tranny not keep shifting too frequently unnecessarily?

Unless the engine has a number of irregular zones in the torque curve! But I won't expect that from Honda.
The primary reason for 9 speed is better fuel economy, unlike Europe where more and more cars use smaller turbo charged engines, in US people still prefer big NA engines. So manufacturesrs achieve higher fuel economy by using cyclinder activation-deactivation systems in conjunction with more gears. Some are even getting into start-stop systems.

Also Hybrids are preferred over say Diesel engines for people who clock lot of miles and need something frugal as Diesels are still not popular in US.

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st May 2015 at 21:40.
Technocrat is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 21:14   #5
BHPian
 
VIPER_SRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 432
Thanked: 171 Times
Default Re: Honda introduces new 9-speed automatic transmission in the 2016 Honda Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Also Hybrids are preferred over say Diesel engines for people who have clock lot of mileage and need somthing frugal as Diesels are still not popular in US.
You are right! I owned an X5 Diesel and liked it for its immense torque but it was not that fun to drive in city where I could feel the turbo lag and the initial vibration transferring into the cabin (yes we are spoiled here ) However cruising on interstate is awesome, its pretty smooth.

The most important aspect is fuel economy which in my opinion didn't make any sense; at least here in midwest Diesel is more expensive than premium (91 grade), around 25-40 cents more. That almost closes the gap for fuel efficiency, cost wise.

Also BMW and Mercedes won't recommend more than 5 PPM of biodiesel blend (B5). But all the pumps here say "may contain B5 to B20" Biodiesel blend (5% to 20% mix). I asked the gas station attendant as to what is the real number between that 5 and 20% and he smiled at me asking "What do you think?". This will obviously result in build up of Gunk inside the engine over the period of 4-5 years and cleaning that will be an expensive affair.

With all this in mind, I switched over to petrol version of GL.

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 21st May 2015 at 21:16.
VIPER_SRT is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 10:48   #6
BHPian
 
Maky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 737
Thanked: 322 Times
Default Re: Honda introduces new 9-speed automatic transmission in the 2016 Honda Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
The current generation Honda Pilot was launched in 2009, and today, after long 6 years, Honda introduces the third generation of this successful SUV.
How much does this vehicle cost? in US$? I'm wondering if it would be priced similar to the Toyota Fortuner if It was ever launched here?.
It sure seems to have road presence similar to the Fortuner and equipment levels far beyond that of the Toyota. Most interesting....
Maky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 17:56   #7
BHPian
 
VIPER_SRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 432
Thanked: 171 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
How much does this vehicle cost? in US$? I'm wondering if it would be priced similar to the Toyota Fortuner if It was ever launched here?.
It sure seems to have road presence similar to the Fortuner and equipment levels far beyond that of the Toyota. Most interesting....

It's starts around $30000 and with options will go higher. It won't make it to India though. Honda has always been taking a back seat; haven't been aggressive in Indian market. Honda Odyssey, a very successful model and No. 1 selling minivan in U.S. should have been introduced in India to compete with Innova long back.
VIPER_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 00:03   #8
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,896
Thanked: 2,477 Times
Default Re: Honda introduces new 9-speed automatic transmission in the 2016 Honda Pilot

Actually US market is very diffenernt than Europe or India (as briefly discussed before).

Honda doesnt sell Pilot & Odeyssey in Europe either. Both are more of Personal Family haulers than people movers like Innova(Even Toyota didnt bring the Sienna).
In India the expectation from 7 seater is to be a people mover and both Pilot & the minivans are overkill for that. Not to mention they will cost much more than the Innova does. Nobody would buy them at the price point that Honda will try to sell just see how CRV failed which is much cheaper than these two.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 00:27   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,503
Thanked: 436 Times
Default Re: Honda introduces new 9-speed automatic transmission in the 2016 Honda Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
It's starts around $30000 and with options will go higher. It won't make it to India though. Honda has always been taking a back seat; haven't been aggressive in Indian market. Honda Odyssey, a very successful model and No. 1 selling minivan in U.S. should have been introduced in India to compete with Innova long back.
When a 30000 USD car comes to India, it becomes a 60000 USD car. So obviously there is no way it can compete with the Innova. Innova is a body on frame vehicle - smaller, narrower, less powerful, very un-luxury oriented people mover. I don't even think Honda has a car in that category. The Pilots competitor from Toyota in the US is the Highlander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Actually US market is very diffenernt than Europe or India (as briefly discussed before).

Honda doesnt sell Pilot & Odeyssey in Europe either. Both are more of Personal Family haulers than people movers like Innova(Even Toyota didnt bring the Sienna).
In India the expectation from 7 seater is to be a people mover and both Pilot & the minivans are overkill for that. Not to mention they will cost much more than the Innova does. Nobody would buy them at the price point that Honda will try to sell just see how CRV failed which is much cheaper than these two.
Agreed. The CR-V was too overpriced for what it did. Toyota sort of hit the nail on the head with the Fortuner - in capability, looks, performance and price. Honda does not have a vehicle like the Fortuner either. Odyssey, Pilot, Sienna, Highlander etc - are all going to be way beyond a price that can muster any decent sales in India.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Michelin Pilot Road 2 & Pilot Street Radial Motorcycle Tyres launched parrys Motorbikes 37 27th January 2016 23:27
2016 Jaguar F-Type to get a 6-speed manual transmission Tushar The International Automotive Scene 7 17th December 2014 22:17
Mercedes Benz 300D (W123 series): Manual Transmission to Automatic Transmission. wartikars Post-War 5 3rd January 2014 12:39
Toyota launches Fortuner with 5-speed automatic transmission at Rs 22.33 lakh M35 The Indian Car Scene 1 18th January 2013 12:33
GM applies for patent of its new 9 speed automatic transmission-full details sidindica The International Automotive Scene 7 30th September 2012 09:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:07.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks