Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread
Old 4th March 2015, 10:40   #61
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: 2015 Skoda Superb : Official Preview

The highly anticipated B8 Skoda Superb has officially made its public debut at the 85th Geneva motor show. Based on the VisionC concept, the new Superb is 28 mm longer and 47 mm wider than the previous model. Additionally, the wheel base has been increased by 80 mm and the front overhang is 61 mm shorter than before. Along with the launch of the new Skoda Superb (expected in June 2015), the Czech car maker will equip its complete model range in Europe with the more efficient EU6 engines. Skoda has confirmed that its entire range will be available with Volkswagen group’s EA 211/EA 888 petrols or EA 288 TDI common-rail diesel engines including a stop-start system and brake energy recovery.

Link to Team-BHP news article

Name:  KODA at the Geneva Motor Show 2015.jpg
Views: 1772
Size:  73.0 KB
Tushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 11:16   #62

Really a superb review Rehaan! Congratulations!!!

Car seems to be a hit from the launch itself.
It definitely beats all the fluidic concepts and makes its presence very strongly felt.
Very thoughtful design and attention to detail by Mr. Jozeph Kaban makes it a really desirable proposition.

It would definitely be a better value for money compared to its German counterparts or maybe puts them to shame in terms of quality and luxury per unit of money spent.

Also I congratulate team BHP for being a part of the unveiling ceremony.

It's a welcome move by Skoda, I think they have learnt from the mistakes from the past and they don't want to leave any stone unturned to make their products stand apart from the crowd and make their products a success.
rev_rohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 11:37   #63

Just WOW!

Simple loved those clever little things they have added. BRILLIANT.
& the styling too.

Hits it bang on.

If they say pricing will increase - it might almost go deep into Merc / Audi territory!
Old 4th March 2015, 12:02   #64
Senior - BHPian

What a fantastically detailed review of a 'Superb' car, Rehaan! Hats off and kudos to the TeamBhp team. Rated a well deserved 5 star.

Well the Superb is one fantastic car and my 3 years of zero error ownership does vouch for it. That it is now even better is an understatement but I do see some small cost cutting like no chrome ringed headlight switches, no rear display, no dual boot etc. Perhaps to not overlap with VAGs luxury line up.

Last edited by GTO : 4th March 2015 at 12:46. Reason: 2nd line of 1st para is really not required. Thanks
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 12:29   #65

What a fabulous preview. It seemed as if one is present at the display and viewing the car in flesh, and even then one would have missed some of the details. Rehaan, respect man!!

On the car itself, we rarely see cars today which keep their old character and add more to it. Not only is the car incorporating latest bits which a new generation car anyway adds, it has also taken big strides ahead in terms of looks as well as attention to details.

While the current Superb was a clear chauffeur driven proposition, the new one in my opinion will also attract self-driven kinds as well if not pure enthusiasts. I feel it can very well be a replacement for entry luxury market for such people and I don't feel value for money will be the only criteria. Yes the Skoda badge is not as posh but then its no Maruti either, in fact I find Skoda has by no means associated itself with being mass-market in India (by luck or plan is debatable).

Add to that the pure merit this car has, Skoda may well have a winner at their hand (though the win may cost its own siblings from Audi and VW badge)

In terms of products, I simply admire the level which Skoda has raised over last two generations. And after-sales service is apparently not a weak area for the brand in most of Europe. If only they could match their service standards in India.
vivekz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 13:18   #66
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic Rehaan.

Im buying this. Nuf said.
Old 4th March 2015, 13:27   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

The designer Jozef Kabaň has done an amazing job with the car. It has become desirable. After my fascination with SUV's, I was not even looking at sedans but this has bowled me over. Infrastructure withstanding, if I could buy another set of wheels, I will buy this.

And there are too many party tricks to keep you entertained for long. And they are practical too. Loved the boot opening mechanism by dangling your leg, a crowd puller.

Unsure of car's length/width & wheelbase, but the new design makes this affordable LWB Limo appear as compact, in a good way.

Has all the stately elegance, looks and class. I will skip the hallowed badge here.

Thanks for this brilliant coverage Rehaan. It could not have been better
Old 4th March 2015, 14:29   #68
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review Rehaan. You must have had a tremendous time exploring the vehicle. I really want to get one when its out in India. I hope it retains all the features shown by Rehaan. Fabulous car. Camry and Accord were always higher in my books but thats changed after looking at the new superb.
Old 4th March 2015, 14:40   #69

Dear Rehan,
Your words made the car come to life and the photos and captions were also very lively and engrossing.
After reading your post, it feels like going out there with the cheque book and getting the white one for the garage.

If Skoda takes care of the low ground clearance for the India bound spec and the horror stories of service and reliability concerns, I am sure many people will switch from German brands to Skoda. Skoda Superb has always been a leading contender for max bang for your buck and this new generation car increases this lead even more.

One thing which intrigues me is that VW Passat had a similar value offering and was priced along similar lines but did not do well in the market. Skoda should ensure that they avoid the mistakes done by VW for Passat.

Thanks a lot for the wonderful review! I have rated it well deserved 5 star.
Old 4th March 2015, 16:55   #70

Thank-you for the awesome report, Rehaan. Well deserved 5 stars.

Skoda Superb is the only car in the market that has the potential to threaten cars of segments below (A class, B class, CLA, A3, and 1 series) AND cars of segments above (E class, A6, 5 series, Passat and XE).

It already has a firm hold on the cars of the same segment, à la Camry, 3 series, its cousin A4.

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the Kämpfer (warrior) in a new avatar, all set to smoke even more cars.

Last edited by Crazy_cars_guy : 4th March 2015 at 17:11.
Old 4th March 2015, 17:45   #71
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely stunning design. I wish the interior looked a bit more plush though. If only they could improve their credibility on the reliability and service front.
Old 5th March 2015, 11:36   #72

Wonderful detailing of the Superb's superb design. Attention to detail is really worth a praise, on this Superb. They got all 29 'simply clever' things just right. Way to go, Skoda!
Old 5th March 2015, 12:25   #73
Team-BHP Support

Glad the report turned out the way it did, and I'm happy to see so many people have read through and enjoyed it

The only thing I felt was missing in the Superb (especially when guessing about what will finally make its way to the Indian market) is some sort of useful & 'wow' feature for the rear bench.

Add actively ventilated rear seats, a massaging function, or reclining rear seat - and it would really knock people's socks off!

Wonder what rear-seat goodies the Chinese Superb will get, as that's a whole different world for Skoda.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th March 2015 at 12:27.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 19:18   #74

Amazing pictures and a well detailed preview report. Thank you so much. This is surely going to be a great hit worldwide and hopefully Skoda India pull up their socks and gear up to meet the demand this time at least, when they launch it in India.
Old 6th March 2015, 22:31   #75

What an amazing preview, Rehaan. Hats off. However, your well deserved 5 star rating will have to wait till I log in from a computer (God knows when) or you add ratings (and thank) to the iOS app (hope I have not missed those features).

This car makes my old Superb look dowdy, and the while I will miss the dual tailgate (being able to open the boot sedan style helps when you don't have much to load, while a hatch makes it very practical), the new features seem to more than make up for it. Clearly, as features go, this is far, far superior to the 3/A4/C, and probably makes entry level trims of the 5/A6/E look poor as well. I do hope the features make it to India, even if some of them (such as blida spot detection) may be difficult to use here. On price, this is going to be expensive. My own Superb was Rs. 22.5 lakhs OTR Bombay (USD 50 k) way back in 2010. Since then, excise duty has risen, and the INR has depreciated - so I don't see this coming in for less than Rs. 32 l OTR Bombay (personal registration) for the 1.8 TSi AT. If they bring in a L&K trim instead of the Elegance they used to offer, expect the cost to rise by another Rs. 2 lakhs.

Will I buy another Superb? I am not sure - the lack of reliability has clearly been a major issue for me. But if they offer a 4 year warranty, the odds of that event would improve a lot.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread