Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread

Old 17th March 2015, 13:51   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended for allegedly punching a producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
What is the role of a producer in this context, and why should JC blame him for the cold food ?

I liked he TG team more for the humour and the antic they do.
Maybe because they mention in the show that it's the producer deciding all. "Producers have given us the challenge, Producers have given us 1000 pounds and asked us to buy a second hand sports car" and so on. So it might be the producer giving them food as well.

Jokes apart, I really wish this is resolved top gear is back on air. As many mentioned, Clarkson quitting top gear isnt official.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 14:04   #62
Senior - BHPian

I guess Clarkson will owe BBC lots of $$$ if he decides to quit and break his contract. I don't think he will be stupid enough to do that.

His contract is reportedly coming up for renewal soon. This could even be a well-orchestrated stunt to remind the BBC of his popularity.
StarrySky is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 14:47   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I guess Clarkson will owe BBC lots of $$$ if he decides to quit and break his contract. I don't think he will be stupid enough to do that.

His contract is reportedly coming up for renewal soon. This could even be a well-orchestrated stunt to remind the BBC of his popularity.
His contract expires at the end of the month ,so he will not owe BBC anything.
Old 20th March 2015, 19:53   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeremy Clarkson Quits Top Gear, Show Cancelled for Good.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/je...ood-93287.html
Old 20th March 2015, 22:49   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's what is more funny - its becoming a full on tamasha!
This really happened - his supporters apparently drove a tank to the BBC to make their point!
Name:  twgzx6fvjhpkqknmpvm1.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  36.1 KB
via Jalopnik!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 13:07   #66
Senior - BHPian

Suspended Jeremy Clarkson forces BBC to cancel Top Gear Live shows:
Click for news story

The news story is from last evening so Jeremy hasnt decided to quit or leave as of now.
Old 23rd March 2015, 14:34   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Here's what is more funny - its becoming a full on tamasha!
This really happened - his supporters apparently drove a tank to the BBC to make their point!
Attachment 1351474
via Jalopnik!
Yes, the same was updated in the change.org petition.

Quote:
https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinsta...m_medium=email

Mar 20, 2015 — Today at 16:52 the petition to “Bring Back Clarkson” to the BBC passed the million signatures mark…

Tanks! Yes, tanks, we Stig drove a tank to deliver the petition to the BBC:

http://order-order.com/2015/03/20/st...live-on-telly/
Old 24th March 2015, 10:32   #68
Senior - BHPian

BBC is quite mum on the Clarkson topic. Wonder why ?

They weren't quite so discreet in releasing the documentary on India's Daughter. Why the double standards BBC ?
Old 24th March 2015, 14:43   #69
BHPian

Not sure if I'm the only one feeling this but I reckon this is a huge PR stunt by Top Gear and BBC to garner universal attention and higher rating for future episodes. Of late, Top Gear's viewer stats have been sagging and the last few episode have been no different. In Britain, there are other reality shows that are hogging the top slot and everyone feels Top Gear's a bit long in the tooth. Only time will tell if my hunch is true but until then: please re-instate Clarkson!
Old 24th March 2015, 15:27   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Not sure if I'm the only one feeling this but I reckon this is a huge PR stunt by Top Gear and BBC to garner universal attention and higher rating for future episodes.!

I doubt that very much. BBC Management has a long history of being completely and utterly incompetent of dealing with these sort of issues. In addition they are a public broadcasting organisation so misleading the public, for whatever the reason, would not something they can engage in. That is more the purview of commercial broadcasting .

It has always amazed me that an organisation renowed for its very high quality programs (by and large) is also managed by people who haven't got a clue when it comes to managing a very large organisation.

Multiple BBC case studies are doing the rounds in various international business schools how BBC messes up things from a management perspective.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 24th March 2015 at 15:29.
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 18:44   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

It has always amazed me that an organisation renowed for its very high quality programs (by and large) is also managed by people who haven't got a clue when it comes to managing a very large organisation.
The reason is in your post itself. High quality programs need creative people. And managing creative people is an onerous task. There are many organization behavior case studies which deal with this exact issue.

I won't go on and specify in detail on what I have read and know about this topic. But from my personal experience, the more creative one is (in an artistic way and not in a problem solving way), the more they are out of sync with the goal of an organization - make more profit.
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 18:49   #72
BHPian

In a column in the Mail, Piers Morgan has come out in support of Clarkson. Yes, you read that right! I too was genuinely surprised. They had apparently buried the hatchet some time back.

Here is the article:-

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/home/e...er-demons.html
Senna4Ever is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 18:56   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
The reason is in your post itself. High quality programs need creative people. And managing creative people is an onerous task. There are many organization behavior case studies which deal with this exact issue.

I won't go on and specify in detail on what I have read and know about this topic. But from my personal experience, the more creative one is (in an artistic way and not in a problem solving way), the more they are out of sync with the goal of an organization - make more profit.
The BBC, at least this part of the BBC, is a non profit organisation!It is a public broadcasting organisation. It gets funded through TV licenses paid for by the public. (and a few more tightly regulated avenues)

Here is some more information on what the BBC is all about:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/corporate2/insi...ementstructure

The management structure is unbelievable as well, in particular the salaries.

I'm not saying you are wrong but if you managing a broadcasting companies you better be ready to deal with creative types!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 22:17   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
The BBC, at least this part of the BBC, is a non profit organisation!It is a public broadcasting organisation. It gets funded through TV licenses paid for by the public. (and a few more tightly regulated avenues)

Here is some more information on what the BBC is all about:
I was aware about BBC's org structure. My point is BBC is too large and still good/creative content oriented (compared to others) to be an effectively managed organization. The fact that it is non-profit only adds to the complexity.

In other words (my hypothesis): if a large organization's primary functions is in producing creative content, it will be poorly managed.

Last edited by rrsteer : 24th March 2015 at 22:20.
Old 24th March 2015, 22:47   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
I was aware about BBC's org structure. My point is BBC is too large and still good/creative content oriented (compared to others) to be an effectively managed organization. The fact that it is non-profit only adds to the complexity.

In other words (my hypothesis): if a large organization's primary functions is in producing creative content, it will be poorly managed.

Interesting hypothesis; National Geographic proves it wrong though!

I don't think it has anything to do with creative or non profit as such.. I believe tif management isn't really interested or has little affinity with what the organisation is supposed to do, it will be a disaster. Another good example is how poorly the British NHS is managed. NHS Management has no idea what doctors and nurses actually do.

As a leader you don't need to be an expert in every field, but I do believe you need to be able to relate to what your employees are doing or are supposed to be doing. Without affinity there is no passion and without passion management just becomes a mechanised affair with usually disastrous consequences for all concerned.

Jeroen
Closed Thread