Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 20th March 2015, 16:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Mitsubishi to take a hiatus from sedans?

Mitsubishi's portfolio in India has gradually narrowed down. From selling cars like the Lancer/Cedia, Outlander, Montero and even the Evolution, the Japanese automaker is currently a one model brand and retails the Pajero Sport alone. Now, it looks like the car-maker will be shifting focus away from sedans altogether and set its sights on the SUV market.

The move reportedly comes in after the deal (Renault-Nissan alliance and Mitsubishi join hands) between Mitsubishi and Renault-Nissan failed to go through. The collaboration would have resulted in replacements for the Lancer and Galant sedans. The new sedans would be based on Renault-Nissan's design architecture. At the Geneva motor show, Mitsubishi Motors' president and COO Tetsuro Aikawa, stated that the company will not work on the development of any new sedans, which means the next-generation Lancer is a while away, provided it is even produced. One of the reasons cited is the stiff competition in the global sedan scene, that has made it difficult for Mitsubishi to turn a profit with a new model in the segment. The company will continue to sell the current generation of the Lancer, but reserve its future focus for SUVs, PHEVs and EVs.

Source: Caradvice

Mitsubishi to take a hiatus from sedans?-mitsubishievox01.jpg

(*Image for representation only)

Last edited by Aditya : 20th March 2015 at 16:23.
Tushar is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 22:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mitsubishi to take a hiatus from sedans?

This was done for the Indian market much before. For a change, a manufacturer did something first in India and then gave it to the rest of the world.
zenren is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 23:03   #3
BHPian

Sad to see Mitsubishi go down this route

The Lancer was such a looker with its aggressive & sporty styling!! Guess it was one of the cars that would look good with any external mod done to it IMO.

Growing up, I remember a guy in my neighborhood owning the yellow colored one with spoiler & race car style sticker job. Oh Boy, never did it look out of place & seemed like pure bliss watching the car go down the street during those days.

For me, the new 2015 Lancer beats all existing sedans in India hands down wrt styling. Personal opinion though
manas_270 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 20:53   #4
BHPian

This is not a happy state. Player like Mitsubishi shying away from sedan market clearly states something wrong at the decision making level in the company.

There would be hardly any sectors across the globe / value chain which is not operating under competition. Staying away from sight of consumers will keep the company away from consumers mind also and that is a greater loss.

The company should reconsider both global and India strategy.

Cheers
i74js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 15:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is a sad development though it was in the making.
Post the HM-Mitsubishi break up, Mitsubishi was not taking any strides to any resurrection what so ever.

They were happy with the one trick Pajero and now, this news is a final nail in the coffin. Sad to see the once top 5 auto giant bite the dust so badly!!
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 12:04   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Player like Mitsubishi shying away from sedan market clearly states something wrong at the decision making level in the company.
It's more to do with the fact that Mitsubishi Motors is small & strapped for cash!! The company simply doesn't have the huge reserves required for R&D of new models. That's one of the reasons that the current Montero (aka Pajero) has remained largely unchanged since the late nineties.

Mitsubishi lacks traction in USA, Europe, China etc. Its worldwide sales are less than what Suzuki sells in India alone. Forget that, in home market Japan, Mitsubishi's Jan 2015 sales were a paltry 8,800 units. Mitsubishi's days as a standalone manufacturer are numbered. Problem is, no one wants to merge or have a partnership with them either. I don't see much of a future for Mitsubishi Motors. They'll probably die sometime in the future.

From my days in Boston, I remember how the only people who considered the Lancer were students with holes in their pockets, or those with bad credit.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 05:06   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Mitsubishi lacks traction in USA, ..
I was about to pitch in with this observation as well. There are hardly any Mitsubishi cars or dealerships to be seen where I live - which is a pity since this company has always made excellent SUVs as their USP. Not sure where they intend to focus on if they've almost shut shop in the world's largest auto market.

This is a stark contrast to 1995 when we'd visited the US as a family of tourists and I remember seeing some outrageous style statements from Mitsubishi- such as the Eclipse.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote