Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 1st April 2015, 18:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Iconic Lincoln Continental coming back!

The iconic Lincoln Continental - an epitome of luxury at one point and rightfully dubbed the "Presidential car" is all set to make a comeback after 13 years. The production car that arrives next year is being previewed by the Lincoln Continental concept that makes its public debut at the New York motor show.

The car features a large polished aluminium front grille, door handles that are positioned in the car’s belt-line, 21-inch polished aluminium wheels wrapped around by low profile tyres, LED matrix headlamps with laser assist beams, sun-roof with a touch to tint function and a single unit tail lamp that spread across the rear.

On the inside the car gets Venetian leather seat and door panels, alcantara seat inserts and armrests, a satin headliner and a carpet made of shearling wool. The instrument cluster gets a rose gold trim, contrasted by bright chrome on the instrument panel. Rear-seat passengers also get a tablet-supporting lap tray that deploys from the centre console - that runs through the cabin's centre. It also features a champagne storage compartment. Detachable, hand-crafted Venetian leather travel cases are mounted to the backside of the front seats.

The car is powered by a 3.0L EcoBoost petrol engine that is exclusive to Lincoln. Driver assist technologies include pre-collision assist with pedestrian detection, enhanced park assist and a 360-degree camera that displays its feed on the MyLincoln touch screen.

Iconic Lincoln Continental coming back!-lincolncontinental1.jpg

Iconic Lincoln Continental coming back!-lincolncontinental2.jpg

Iconic Lincoln Continental coming back!-lincolncontinental3.jpg

Iconic Lincoln Continental coming back!-lincolncontinental4.jpg

Iconic Lincoln Continental coming back!-lincolncontinental5.jpg

Iconic Lincoln Continental coming back!-lincolncontinental6.jpg

Last edited by Tushar : 1st April 2015 at 18:13.
Tushar is offline   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 20:55   #2
MHG
BHPian

Default re: Iconic Lincoln Continental coming back!

As the world is slowly getting used to a post recession lifestyle, with savings a little higher than they used to be and oil prices that are the lowest in a long time and a new president of the USA soon to be elected in 2016, the timing couldn't be more perfect for the return of the iconic gas guzzling American XXL sized luxury cars.
MHG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 22:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
As the world is slowly getting used to a post recession lifestyle, with savings a little higher than they used to be and oil prices that are the lowest in a long time and a new president of the USA soon to be elected in 2016, the timing couldn't be more perfect for the return of the iconic gas guzzling American XXL sized luxury cars.
It has a 3L ecoboost engine, i dont think you can call that gas guzzling motor.
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 00:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Ironically, the Germans were always building the XXL sized luxury cars through the recession. The Americans are back to building those after a lull. Gas guzzling, that remains to be seen. The 3.0 ecoboost may not be as bad as 5.0 V8 - but time only will tell.

That said, cars like the hellcats were definitely not going to be fathomable in 2009 or 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
It has a 3L ecoboost engine, i dont think you can call that gas guzzling motor.
Yeah, too early to say. But if the car is 2 ton + then the 3.0 ecoboost would always be in boost zone if the gearing is not done well - making it consume more fuel than what the ratings would say.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 09:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Yeah, too early to say. But if the car is 2 ton + then the 3.0 ecoboost would always be in boost zone if the gearing is not done well - making it consume more fuel than what the ratings would say.
Ecoboost engines are quite agile and can serve under various kinds of tuning. We will soon witness these engines in performance as well as luxury cars.

A 3 Litre Ecoboost motor can do justice with a 2000 kg car unless it is ripped, which does not seem to be the case with Continental. Similarly it can perform equally good in performance machines developed by Ford wherein the weight is contained and the motor operates at higher rpm.

It will very much stay within permissible fuel consumption range.

Cheers

Last edited by i74js : 2nd April 2015 at 09:38.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 10:43   #6
BHPian

The update comes a bit late; but the designers have done a fantastic job. I liked the box-ish stance with good attention to detail; and as it'd always been, it's like no other car in the market. The 3.0L EcoBoost suits it perfectly, IMHO
Joe M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 12:49   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
We will soon witness these engines in performance as well as luxury cars.
Soon is already here - with the 2015 Mustang declared to have the 2.3L Ecoboost engine as well.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 17:06   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Iconic Lincoln Continental coming back!

Bentley's design boss is cheesed off!

Source

Quote:
The Lincoln Continental luxury saloon, unveiled this week by Ford at the New York auto show, resembles the Bentley Flying Spur, Automotive News reported, citing comments by Bentley design chief Luc Donckerwolke that were picked up by online publication Car Design News.

"Do you want us to send the product tooling?" Donckerwolke posted on Lincoln designer David Woodhouses' Facebook page, a comment that was subsequently deleted, Automotive News said.

"This behaviour is not respectable. Building a copy like this is giving a bad name to the car design world," Donckerwolke was quoted as saying by Car Design News.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 17:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Source
When I looked at it, I was straight away reminded of Bentley and Audi too- especially the front and rear.
rrsteer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 18:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Some similarities aside, I personally think this Lincoln looks a little better than the 2015 flying spur.
Just look at the rear!! I truly hope Ford launches this in India.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 18:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

I am a HUGE fan of this car - and I will be glad that it is coming back - if, that is, this concept makes it to production. The things I really would want this car to have in production form are:
  • Rear Wheel Drive
  • Suspension tuned for "plush" and "total comfort" settings (don't want any of that European stiff nonsense)
  • Lazy, torquey V8 - which I am sure it will be offered when put into production

Concept looks really good! Love it!
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote