Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 16th April 2015, 15:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Mini's new Augmented Vision Goggles

With the first official look at the Mini Cooper out in T-Bhp, here's a little accessory that one might find interesting down the line when its released.

Designed like the American aviator glasses of yore, the Mini Connected Augmented Vision concept uses cameras at 4 points in the Cooper (both side wing mirrors and C pillars) to make it seem like the glasses are see-thru, thus improving visibility substantially in the already smallish car. It also gives an illusion of displaying speed & navigation information from 6 feet away but actually its the glasses doing the job. Its still a concept and I'm sure when it releases in India sometime next year (or longer) it will be outrageously expensive knowing Mini, but a very innovative effort nonetheless, how useful/distracting it is going to be will be known only when its experienced.

Additional Source : http://theupscout.com/gear/mini-augmented-vision-price/

Last edited by GTO : 17th April 2015 at 14:47. Reason: Embedding video :)
dark.knight is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 10:59   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Mini's new Augmented Vision Goggles

It was a pleasant leak given how secret this project was !! This is something we worked quite closely including most of the Augmented Reality technology behind it. As our VP put it, the fancy HMDs are a reality finally. Also it is quite important to mention that most of the tracking and display technology has been made public domain where any one can use the SDK to develop their own use cases.

Last edited by acurafan : 17th April 2015 at 11:01.
acurafan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 13:17   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Cool concept - as expected of Mini, the shades are stylish too.

But I don't think anyone is going to bother with these. Why would you wear special-purpose glasses for a problem that really isn't one of high concern. Most of us manage parking etc. just fine without cameras & sensors. For vehicles that need them, parking aids are becoming increasingly commonplace.

More than cars, I think these goggles will be useful in large commercial vehicles (from cargo vans to trucks).
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 00:03   #4
BHPian

The original design was for more mundane things such as helping the technicians access the service manuals instantly and overlay them on the engine bay components. I don't think that would have got as much publicity as the driver's HMD
I don't see how driving wearing AR display can get past regulations. This is more of a technological demonstration than real product. But it solved really difficult computer vision problems.
acurafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 19:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But I don't think anyone is going to bother with these. Why would you wear special-purpose glasses for a problem that really isn't one of high concern. Most of us manage parking etc. just fine without cameras & sensors.
I do agree that it wont be very popular specially given its possible cost, & I've never driven in Mumbai but from what I remember the cobblestone pathways in Mumbai are quite low and even if high not so high that there's risk of scratching. In Bangalore though nowadays the development authority are doing a big mistake, in some areas they build sidewalks almost 1.5+ feet high, thus compelling me to not get too close otherwise I cannot open the door and if I'm reverse parallel parking on the passenger side I simply cannot predict the distance precisely unless the left hand side mirror is open (its manual folding so I prefer to keep it closed to prevent bikes knocking into it).

Not only that the pathways are usually completed and the remaining kerb stones are just left there by the road, the drainages are also made with a slight indent into the base of the road. All this has made me extra cautious & I pan the parking spot thoroughly before backing in. A better view like the one above can sure make my life easier.

Last edited by dark.knight : 20th April 2015 at 19:22.
dark.knight is offline   Reply With Quote