Senior - BHPian
Default Dutch carmaker unlocks the wicked D8 GTO

Name:  p02prvqq.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  39.2 KB

Name:  p02prvqx.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  46.2 KB

Not even sure how many members would have ever heard of this Dutch car maker? Essentially a souped up Lotus 7 on steroids design!

Although I have never owned a Donkervoort, I have driven a few over the years and I have met the owner Joop Donkervoort several times.

When in the late eighties I was looking for my first classic sports car, I gave him a call. In those days it was quite a small outfit. More or less everythign happened in a big barn behind Joop's house in Loosdrecht.

He listened to my question and told me, why don't you come over on Saturday morning. I'm showing a group of Industrial designers around the shop and you can come along too.

So of I went and spent a day with Joop and some 6-7 other guys being shown around his (very modest) shop/barn at the time. Joop was your classic inventor entrepeneur. He knew and was involved in every detail of those cars. He could talk for hours on any part. What had been the design critiria, how do they manufacture it, why and how and with who did they partner to get it manufactured, how much did it cost.

It was hugely interesting and I learned an awfull lot.

In those days Donkervoort's still looked very similar to the legendary Lotus 7. The Donkervoort was even called S7. I can't quite remember what the relation between Lotus and Donkervoort was, other than it was complicated and Joop didnt want to say to much about it.

I drive my Alfa Spider top down, no matter what the weather. Sun, rain, snow, hail, sub zero temperatures, the top stays down. But I'm an absolute wush when it comes to hardcore Lotus 7 and Donkervoort 7 drivers. They have virtually no protection from the elements. In my Spider, as long as you put your foot down, you wont get wet. The rain will just blow over you. Start to rain harder, just put your foot down more. Its got a heater too, so your feet/legs will stay warm. Reasonable boot to take a couple of weekend bags. On the Lotus and the Donkervoort you get soaked no matter what. No heating either, and only just enough space for a tooth brush. Respect!

Anyway, these days, good to see there are still small car makers who dont give a damn about convention and still make bonkers cars!

All credits to Joop and his team

Last edited by GTO : 25th April 2015 at 12:34. Reason: Adding pics :)
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2015, 01:10   #2
Default re: Dutch carmaker unlocks the wicked D8 GTO

WOW! Just WOW! This car just looks fantastic. A light weight body coulped with an Audi 2.5L R5 TFSI pure sport engine can do wonders. Heard of this company for the first time and I must say, I'm blown by their products.
kingofmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote