Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2015, 16:08   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 25
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Russian "Stop a Douchebag" movement disciplines errant drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
But then some folks in India also think (read: strongly feel) that the pasting the sticker thing is ridiculous. Violating traffic laws does not give the right to traffic police to vandalize the offending vehicle. It is the driver who is to be punished, not the vehicle.
It's a sticker on glass that comes off. No damage done to the traffic violator's precious vehicle but hopefully message conveyed (to some if not all).

Far tamer IMHO than the measures adopted by our Russian friends. Cheers!
manuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 12:11   #17
BHPian
 
Viraat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 488
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: Russian "Stop a Douchebag" movement disciplines errant drivers

Gurgaon Traffic Police does have a nice "I am Uncivilised" campaign going where they put stickers on the back of the offending car. It is a pretty good initiative, as Gurgaon is pretty horrible to drive in, even when compared to the crappy parts of Delhi.

WRT to the BRT, the cycle track is now officially used for free lefts etc, as I have seen numerous signs stating the same. Considering that the entire project is an utter failure, it seems reasonable to allow this. Time for the Delhi Government to break it down and give us our roads back!

EDIT Just saw more videos. These Russians are brilliant!

Last edited by Viraat13 : 20th May 2015 at 12:13.
Viraat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 17:51   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,406
Thanked: 859 Times
Default Re: Russian "Stop a Douchebag" movement disciplines errant drivers

Doing this in Russia takes more guts than doing this in India. I'm not sure which part of Russia they are in but some are far far worse than the UPs or Bihars of India in terms of hooliganism.

Road rage in certain parts of Russia is way worse than what it is in India.
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 18:17   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default Re: Russian "Stop a Douchebag" movement disciplines errant drivers

It is quite easy to think this is similar to what Gurgaon traffic police is doing. It is not! The main difference is that these guys in Russia paste the sticker only after the offending driver refuses to mend his/her ways, whereas the Gurgaon traffic police does it after the offender has been caught AND fined! And that still is ridiculous.

By the way, if that Delhi constable was shown these videos, he would have deeply sympathized with these young men. At the same time, he would have also thanked his stars that he was hit only by a brick and the lady he stopped was not Russian
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 20:35   #20
BHPian
 
hrsraghav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 292
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Russian "Stop a Douchebag" movement disciplines errant drivers

Situation here is much worse than in Russia. Name it the civic sense of people on road, the range of laws broken on road, which amplifies with the ease to steering ability of vehicle being driven(Autos and bikes) and much more..
I guess what makes it most tough is the amount of vehicles on road (Consequence of our population). A drive like this could be enough to halt all the passing by traffic to cause another Jam.
However I think some side effects of such drives (like Jam), should be accepted for a better tomorrow. Slowly those Jams will get reduced, people will fear such drives and then slowly it will become part of there civic sense. Maybe drives like putting stickers by Gurgaon police seems harsh today, but in longer run they will improve few things. Point is not to prove anything there itself rather to improve situation and prevent it to happen in future.
hrsraghav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 14:20   #21
BHPian
 
poised2drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 265
Thanked: 284 Times
Default Re: Russian "Stop a Douchebag" movement disciplines errant drivers

Oh boy, this needs guts !

Those young citizens need a lot of praise for doing such acts of heroism inspite of the THREATENING, PUNCHES,BASEBALL BATS AND EVEN GUNS [ and look at that Chechen lady, who called his son just like some Goon - good to know that some kind of action was taken on her husband]

In India, dearth of policing would cause trouble for such activism where there would not be enough data to catch hold of the perpetrator if he hits and evades but the people would not be as violent as there !

The proportion of illegal arms in Russia is far larger than that of India fortunately and the Gun culture of the west is still no unleashed in its full here.
poised2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 14:49   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
kiku007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,610
Thanked: 1,223 Times
Default Re: Russian "Stop a Douchebag" movement disciplines errant drivers

I had to do this (pasted the below image on the car) today.

This particular car has been seen multiple times hogging two parking spaces in office. Couple of weeks back someone had scribbled, "Learn To Park" (On the hatch door) when the car was spotted parked in a similar way and still no change in parking habits
Attached Thumbnails
Russian "Stop a Douchebag" movement disciplines errant drivers-img_20150521_122729167_hdr.jpg  

Russian "Stop a Douchebag" movement disciplines errant drivers-img_20150521_125605023_hdr.jpg  


Last edited by kiku007 : 21st May 2015 at 14:53.
kiku007 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 16:18   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,406
Thanked: 859 Times
Default Re: Russian "Stop a Douchebag" movement disciplines errant drivers

There's this place called DLF Square in Gurgaon, you know that 21 storey squarish building between Nestle and Convergys. I'm not sure if its the case today also, but at least till 2 years back if one would park their car in a no-parking zone within the complex, the security guards would paste an A4 size page with a glue that just wouldn't come off easily.

They would paste it on the driver's side just like in this video. Trust me, it works!
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 14:10   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Russian "Stop a Douchebag" movement disciplines errant drivers

The approach taken by these young men is indeed interesting and laudable, but in my opinion, is stupid as well. To be honest, I was surprised that there no posts condemning these acts of bravado.

Please do not get me wrong, I am not on the side of the law breakers.

These young men seem to be filled with a sense of idealism and but not wisdom.I can only wish that their youthful energies were channelized towards finding a more strategic and long term solution. Playing vigilante is a short term solution. Someday, these youngsters are going to run out of steam and the errand drivers are going to return to their old bad ways. Taking law enforcement into one's own hands is equally unacceptable as breaking the law, ( unless one belongs to the law enforcement agencies).

In this world, no one wants to break the law, unless the situation forces them to. So goes the cliche, but that is the fact. Take that lady for example, who apparently drives on the footpath just to be on time for her friend's marriage. It might be easy for us to say that it is a silly enough reason, but for her, reaching the venue on time is most important thing. She would go to any extent to achieve it. She saw traffic jam and tried to work around by driving on the footpath, however unacceptable it is in others eyes. I am not justifying her, but trying to make a point that everyone has their right's and wrongs. One has to accept that fact before trying to solve these kind of problems using brute force.

These young men, for all their good intentions, have only managed to aggravate a few motorists. Sticking something on the windshield is easy, but who knows what are the repercussions? What if those motorists vent their anger against someone else down the road?

These youngsters, I wish, could have worked closely with the authorities to understand the reason behind the traffic jam (or conjestion) and try to solve it on a permanent basis. It would not happen in a day,might require interacting with a lot of government agencies who work in their own pace. It requires enormous amount of patience and perseverance. But then, the right path is long and hard, as they say.

I strongly believe that rather than employing 'you are wrong I am right' enforcement methods, efforts must be spent on empowering the motorists to abide by the rules. Everyone aspires to be right, it is the system which is wrong and makes everyone wrong.

Last edited by 8090guy : 24th May 2015 at 14:12.
8090guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 19:52   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Howrah, WB
Posts: 153
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: Russian "Stop a Douchebag" movement disciplines errant drivers

True that the action by the young people is laudable, but no substitute for official action. If there were sufficient traffic policemen on duty, nobody would dare park on a trolly-bus lane. If a car driver stops even momentarily on the tramlines in Calcutta, the tram driver abuses and shouts at him so badly that he will not dare next time !
If the government does not care for traffic discipline, what will a few vigilantes do ? Moreover, Russian sidewalks look too car-friendly and wider than many Indian roads, cannot really blame anybody for driving on them to beat the jams. They could easily be redesigned with bollards at the beginning and end, and railings or concrete blocks between the sidewalks and roads.

In Calcutta, bikes would earlier take to the sidewalks on short stretches to beat traffic jams, but that is no longer possible as the footpaths have been totally taken over by street-vendors. We dare not even park and leave the car for a minute on a deserted low traffic "no parking" stretch for fear of coming back and discovering that a roving bike-cop has clamped a wheel and gone away !

I feel that every country/city has a duty to provide and generate sufficient road space and parking areas for its car-owning citizens. It is no point letting people buy cars and keep paying hefty taxes on them, if they cannot drive or park where and when they need to. In a way our old socialistic days of 'Ambassadors and Fiats only' were better. Car owners were few and far between, so traffic jams and parking woes were almost non-existent !
SnakemanJohny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 23:27   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
stanjohn123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TN 75
Posts: 1,063
Thanked: 392 Times
Default Re: Russian "Stop a Douchebag" movement disciplines errant drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8090guy View Post
The approach taken by these young men is indeed interesting and laudable, but in my opinion, is stupid as well. To be honest, I was surprised that there no posts condemning these acts of bravado.

Please do not get me wrong, I am not on the side of the law breakers.

These young men seem to be filled with a sense of idealism and but not wisdom.I can only wish that their youthful energies were channelized towards finding a more strategic and long term solution. Playing vigilante is a short term solution. Someday, these youngsters are going to run out of steam and the errand drivers are going to return to their old bad ways. Taking law enforcement into one's own hands is equally unacceptable as breaking the law, ( unless one belongs to the law enforcement agencies).

In this world, no one wants to break the law, unless the situation forces them to. So goes the cliche, but that is the fact. Take that lady for example, who apparently drives on the footpath just to be on time for her friend's marriage. It might be easy for us to say that it is a silly enough reason, but for her, reaching the venue on time is most important thing. She would go to any extent to achieve it. She saw traffic jam and tried to work around by driving on the footpath, however unacceptable it is in others eyes. I am not justifying her, but trying to make a point that everyone has their right's and wrongs. One has to accept that fact before trying to solve these kind of problems using brute force.

These young men, for all their good intentions, have only managed to aggravate a few motorists. Sticking something on the windshield is easy, but who knows what are the repercussions? What if those motorists vent their anger against someone else down the road?

These youngsters, I wish, could have worked closely with the authorities to understand the reason behind the traffic jam (or conjestion) and try to solve it on a permanent basis. It would not happen in a day,might require interacting with a lot of government agencies who work in their own pace. It requires enormous amount of patience and perseverance. But then, the right path is long and hard, as they say.

I strongly believe that rather than employing 'you are wrong I am right' enforcement methods, efforts must be spent on empowering the motorists to abide by the rules. Everyone aspires to be right, it is the system which is wrong and makes everyone wrong.
I myself got scared when I saw few people wagging their guns and bats at them. In a country like Russia where anything goes , it's only a matter of time when they get whacked by some psycho motorists.

I believe these activists got beaten up badly by some thugs later , probably by those Mafia looking guys. There is a video of it online too.

I believe normal people should leave such issues to the cops and other municipal authorities.
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 05:16   #27
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,017
Thanked: 3,465 Times
Default Re: Russian "Stop a Douchebag" movement disciplines errant drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8090guy View Post
In this world, no one wants to break the law, unless the situation forces them to. So goes the cliche, but that is the fact. Take that lady for example, who apparently drives on the footpath just to be on time for her friend's marriage. It might be easy for us to say that it is a silly enough reason, but for her, reaching the venue on time is most important thing. She would go to any extent to achieve it. She saw traffic jam and tried to work around by driving on the footpath, however unacceptable it is in others eyes. I am not justifying her, but trying to make a point that everyone has their right's and wrongs. One has to accept that fact before trying to solve these kind of problems using brute force.
If everyone on the roads used the same reason to justify their actions, can you imagine the repercussions? Also, these guys do not indulge in brute force, they request and explain why the motorist should not indulge in such behavior. They do not lose their temper at any point, despite threats.

It's only when the motorist refuses to indulge in reason, they stick the sticker on the car, and not the individual.

For example, just because i am late to work, does not mean i can run over people in my way. If late, i better be prepared to suffer the consequences of my actions.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2015, 19:28   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 143
Thanked: 173 Times
Default Re: Russian "Stop a Douchebag" movement disciplines errant drivers

Brilliant initiative. There are a number of traffic violations like running red lights, indiscriminate lane changing that afflict our roads as well, though am not sure confrontations like these would help in our case; could end up badly for the activists.

A similar but old video on illegal parking. Don't know if this was a gimmick or a real drive on illegal parking, a radical solution nonetheless.

varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 08:39   #29
BHPian
 
poised2drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 265
Thanked: 284 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post

A similar but old video on illegal parking. Don't know if this was a gimmick or a real drive on illegal parking, a radical solution nonetheless.

Though I socially and legally abhor such acts of arbitration which do not confine themselves to the process laid out by law, yet , in certain cases, due to the mere hauteur displayed by the law breaker, acts showing utter disdain to the wealth cause to mark a symbol of revolution and thus appear to be justified.
poised2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 11:12   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 143
Thanked: 173 Times
Default Re: Russian "Stop a Douchebag" movement disciplines errant drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Though I socially and legally abhor such acts of arbitration which do not confine themselves to the process laid out by law, yet , in certain cases, due to the mere hauteur displayed by the law breaker, acts showing utter disdain to the wealth cause to mark a symbol of revolution and thus appear to be justified.
Such acts are legally not allowed simply because 'Quis custodiet ipsos custodes'; "Who will guard the guards?", who is to be the judge of right or wrong.

I remember Delhi police had come out with a traffic warden scheme, which appointed people from all walks of life to help regulate traffic, however these wardens had started using the elevated status as a license to start breaking the very rules they were appointed to enforce. Don't know where they ended up with the scheme ultimately.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle1927902.ece

Getting back to the Douchebag movement, Noida in NCR has its own Traffic baba who reminds people to follow traffic rules over a megaphone at major traffic junctions. Have seem him at various junctions in Noida and people usually correct themselves when he is around.

http://www.sunday-guardian.com/young...delhis-drivers
varunsangal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
Front wheel play/movement autoenthusiast Technical Stuff 15 10th May 2010 22:13
An errant driver costs family their car and a holiday.. rjstyles69 Street Experiences 80 12th January 2009 22:44
Weird swinging movement of Indica RaviH Technical Stuff 14 18th August 2008 17:24
Physics behind car's movement sbasak Technical Stuff 44 4th June 2006 18:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks