Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 17th May 2015, 19:06   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Lightbulb Russian "Stop a Douchebag" movement disciplines errant drivers

In India, bikers (and sometimes even cars) are guilty of riding on the sidewalk. In Delhi, that would be the cycle lane, esp on MG Road / BRT in Delhi - something I've myself been guilty of a couple of times. The standard urge is - if everyone else is doing it, why shouldn't I? Problem is that no one stops bad behavior and then otherwise law abiding citizens break the law.

A group of youth in Russia have taken this very vicious circle head on, in spite of physical attacks, guns being drawn on them and what not. And that makes me hopeful for this world!

Please follow them on twitter: https://twitter.com/stopxamtv and subscribe to their videos - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMr...Ri1pvlRsLxsqJQ . I saw almost all of them tonight in one sitting.

It gives you hope for a better tomorrow. Please note that the videos sometimes contain violence and often cuss words. Please play with discretion.
Their most viral video - (seriously, this felt so gurgaon!)
This one made me smile - a jerk tries to attack them and gets slammed to the floor.
Here's a bunch of chechens unleashing mindless violence but these guys keep filming and don't fight back: Serious kudos!

Here's the hulk:
A badly behaved guy with an equally badly behaved mother: (again, so gurgaon!)
one of the pistol incidents:

Follow them, spread the word, subscribe - my prayers and wishes are with these bravehearts - may nothing happen to them!

Last edited by phamilyman : 17th May 2015 at 19:11.
phamilyman is offline   (55) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 20:17   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Russian "Stop a Douchebag" movement disciplines errant drivers

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 18th May 2015 at 13:36.
YaeJay is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 17th May 2015, 20:24   #3
BHPian

I have been following their youtube channel for a few months. It definitely takes a lot of courage to do what they are doing. Kudos to their efforts.

On the other hand wish we could do something similar in India. But the biggest problem is the co-operation from the Traffic Police.

In the videos during certain incidents the cops were called by the members of the group and the traffic offenders were made to pay the fine. That is far from a dream in India.

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 21:16   #4
BHPian

This is a courageous and bold initiative. If the traffic police supports these initiatives, the presence of uniformed officials and a group of persistent youngsters like these, will create a necessary deterrent that can morph into a sane driving habit over a period of time. Kudos!

Regards

Himanshu
bhardwhu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 11:58   #5
BHPian

In Delhi and NCR, you could do this only once and the last time in your life. Sad but
avingodb is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 12:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Praiseworthy initiative. Something like this would definitely be useful in India. In cities like Mumbai, roadworks have completely choked every route, leading many to use the sidewalk to get around the jams. I haven't seen a car drive on the footpath, but regularly see them parked on one.

At the same time, the municipality needs to provide proper footpaths that aren't broken / taken over by hawkers. Pedestrians walk on the road because of the sorry state of footpaths, and because of this, they are habituated to walking on the road, even when there is a good footpath in place. This in turn, makes frustrated motorists think they are justified in taking the sidewalk because pedestrians don't use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The standard urge is - if everyone else is doing it, why shouldn't I? Problem is that no one stops bad behavior and then otherwise law abiding citizens break the law.
Precisely. Herd mentality causes motorists to break signals, drive / ride / park on the sidewalk, needlessly switch on hazard lights in tunnels etc. The day we stop blaming the administration for everything, start thinking for ourselves and understand our personal responsibilities, 80% of the issue gets resolved then and there.
Tushar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 13:07   #7
BHPian

A brave initiative indeed. Appreciate how the guys hang on to the car even after the drivers take the car forward. The police too is supporting them which is a good thing.
In India we do not have many card driving on the footpaths; the height difference and the width of the foot-paths would be a factor. Its mainly 2 wheelers that take this route. But we do have a lot of people ignoring the traffic lights and lanes.

Last edited by glenmz : 18th May 2015 at 13:16.
glenmz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 13:48   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
A group of youth in Russia have taken this very vicious circle head on, in spite of physical attacks, guns being drawn on them and what not. And that makes me hopeful for this world!

Please follow them on twitter: https://twitter.com/stopxamtv and subscribe to their videos - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMr...Ri1pvlRsLxsqJQ . I saw almost all of them tonight in one sitting.
Public activism in India, so far as disciplining errant drivers is concerned, seems to be a non-starter as yet. Remember this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Public activism against bad driving has not really taken off in India...

However, up in Russia, the Stop a Douchebag movement, in which rule-breaking drivers, even violent ones, are blocked by ultra-polite young citizens with stickers who are sometimes assisted by cops, seems to have caught on in a big way. Even other road users encourage them everywhere. Check out their YouTube channel at the following link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMr...Ri1pvlRsLxsqJQ.

But I would be terrified doing that, thinking that such an SUV in India can actually run me over and drive away. After all, without enough policing, we take road rage to an entirely different level altogether.
Do you think a mass movement by young citizens in India would help reduce lawless driving in our cities and on our highways?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 20:08   #9
BHPian

Default Not in India!

Now THAT is democracy. My best to them.

But going by our nation's logic, if I put a sticker on someone's windshield and get run over, the govt. will probably say I blinded the driver.

If not, I'll get arrested.

Or run over.

Or both.
Tassem is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 20:14   #10
BHPian

A welcome move indeed.
However Footpaths in Bangalore or elsewhere in India aren't so friendly for 4 wheelers, which makes it safe for pedestrians in a way!

Probably we could get stickers & have them pasted on the helmets of violating 2 Wheelers !
unni246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 20:28   #11

I remember residents of Powai working together with traffic police to control offenders entering a one-way street from the wrong side. The whole effort and campaign was commendable and saw considerable success at the time.

However, with time the residents stopped the campaign or they thought that they had succeeded in their endeavour. Whatever the reason, people are back to the old habits and have started entering the street from the wrong side again.

The point being that it's not just the responsibility of a few individuals to carry out such campaigns. We as citizens need to show more civic sense and adhere to rules set out for our comfort. Moreover, we have a tendency to cut the corners. This instinct needs to be curbed.
royalbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 22:39   #12
BHPian

I never ever imagined that the people in Russia could be so shameless. We always criticize 'India' in almost all aspects, be it management, policies, implementation, protocol or whatsoever. Look at this scene in Russia now !
Watching these videos has made me both sad and happy. I pity the people, all over the world with such a mentality. I am happy that those few brave men decided to teach the offenders a lesson in a relatively subtle way.

Can/Should such a method be implemented in India ? Well..i have my doubts. When you can see 'educated' (Perhaps!) people behave in such a way, u cannot really expect the 'drivers' in India who lack even the basic road sense to abide by 'suggestions' given to them by other people on the road, in order to correct their behaviour!
dreamliner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 09:00   #13
BHPian

I read recently that Gurgaon Police are putting stickers on vehicles of traffic offenders. Here's the link-

In the past I have also seen stickers ridiculing incessant honking.

In addition to the Police enforcing the traffic rules firmly (which is sorely lacking), we also need such 'shame campaigns' with the cooperation of the Traffic Police. The situation is pretty bad on Gurgaon roads and drastic measures are called for.
manuc is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 13:20   #14
BHPian

Hats off to these guys. The amount of restraint they show when dealing with the uncivilized morons is commendable.

I hope no one gets seriously hurt, offenders were out with bats, pistols and what not to get back at these guys.
Ph03nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 13:38   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuc View Post
I read recently that Gurgaon Police are putting stickers on vehicles of traffic offenders.
...we also need such 'shame campaigns' with the cooperation of the Traffic Police.
But then some folks in India also think (read: strongly feel) that the pasting the sticker thing is ridiculous. Violating traffic laws does not give the right to traffic police to vandalize the offending vehicle. It is the driver who is to be punished, not the vehicle.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 19th May 2015 at 13:54.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote