Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 19th May 2015, 23:15   #1
BANNED

Default NASA's Driverless Car

Check out the video of NASA's driverless vehicle.

Car manufacturers could learn a lot from this.

Love the sideways drift.

http://www.click2houston.com/lifesty...s-car/32375838

http://www.shortlist.com/tech/gadget...electric-buggy

http://freshinfos.com/2015/04/15/nas...cle-in-action/

Name:  nasa2.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  22.5 KB

Name:  NASAEVremote.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  37.5 KB

Name:  NASAMRVdriverless.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  73.6 KB

Photos from respective source links.

Cheers
gthang is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 12:32   #2
BHPian

Default re: NASA's Driverless Car

Do not understand this craze of 'Driver less' vehicles!! Also, if at all has to be a driver less vehicle, why the heck to do you have a steering and pedals there!!
vinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 12:46   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: NASA's Driverless Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Do not understand this craze of 'Driver less' vehicles!! Also, if at all has to be a driver less vehicle, why the heck to do you have a steering and pedals there!!
The law requires it. Driver should be able to override the automated systems in case of an emergency or bug.

Related news article
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 18:25   #4
BHPian

Quote:
IMO, the driverless cars would be useful in the following situations:
  1. For the people who CAN drive and have a license but somehow not daring to drive in crowded traffic / unknown city / highway etc. Like senior citizens / some ladies (or the gentlemen) who are infrequent and non-confident drivers etc.
  2. The people (especially the business travellers) who drive regularly, can switch to auto (driverless) mode and have some rest when they want.

Those of us, who do not employ a full time driver will understand the difficulties in getting the drivers for long runs or for carrying the family members in their absence. You may get some freelancer but the charges are not small and you are not sure about their professionalism.

As an invention, I would welcome this since it will free the human beings from laborious non-intellectual work. This is what some machines like washing machines, dishwashers, autorickshaws, cranes have done. Let us not use human beings to physically serve the other human beings.

I guess that it will be mandatory to have at least one person with a valid driving license on board. This will be to override the driverless mode and control the vehicle in case of emergency. Hence, as rightly pointed out by GTO, the controls will be still required.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 21:54   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Actually, for NASA, driverless is not a craze. Almost all their deployed vehicles have been "driverless", haven't they?

For them, I think they got the driverless part down pretty good.

What fascinates me is the four wheel independent motors with independent steering. Throws conventional vehicle dynamics out for a toss.

And with such a toy, wouldn't you want a steering wheel?

Just look at the fun he's having.

Cheers
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 10:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:
The craze for driver less vehicle is multi-fold. In recent years the sensor technology has improved considerably. We have cameras that can see better than human eye, DSRC that can see beyond the curve, LIDARs that are small yet has a resolution of centimeters at 100m range and most importantly compute power of few Teraflops in a form factor smaller than a cellphone. Also to some extent machine learning algorithms have made giant improvements that has made machine think/make decisions on certain things better than human being.

For example, I drive a semi-autonomous car every day to work. The car can maintain lane discipline through Lane Keeping Assistance System, can maintain distance of "X" m with the car in front of me at all speed through Adaptive Cruise Control, can drive itself in the lane in a stop and go as well as highway traffic, brakes itself in an emergency (cars, bicycles, pedestrians, motorbikes etc), can detect whether I am falling asleep or looking at my cellphone while driving. Due to not yet developed intelligence, I have to keep my hands on the steering wheel all the while. Some days I feel that the ride is so uneventful that I could have utilized my 20-25 minutes commute doing something else.

The biggest problem in autonomous and semi-autonomous driving is the auto to manual switch over. In our simulator experience the time taken for an inattentive driver to take over full manual control of car is often 6-8 seconds. The best sensor system and intelligent driver assistance system cannot give a heads-up of more than 2 seconds. If you look at the most commonly used autonomous driving environment (autopilots on commercial airplanes) the drivers have a heads-up time in minutes. Even with that we have seen some times big mess-ups when the pilots are not well prepared to handle auto to manual switch over. On road driving condition, is lot more complicated than air travel and hence a much difficult problem to solve.

If autonomous driving becomes possible, there are few advantages. The mileage of cars will dramatically improve, the roads will be safer due to reduced accidents and most importantly better utilization of roads. You need not maintain 1 sec difference between cars, if the behavior of all cars are predictable. The interim time between interaction of manual and autonomous cars although will be pure hell

Last edited by acurafan : 21st May 2015 at 10:41.
acurafan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 12:41   #7
Team-BHP Support

Its a remote controlled car and will be autonomous in near future. So its not really a "google" type driver-less car yet.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote