Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 11th September 2007, 17:12   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

Default YetiBlog® - Paris

I wake up the next morning. Decide to do some sight seeing before we have a formal lunch at one of the better restaurants in paris.

We drive through the streets of the cultural capital of Europe.

L'arc de troimphe

Beauty is everywhere - truly

Just in case you forget where you are, the flag of france pops out at you wherever you go

My first stop is the famous Les Invalides. I have a wonderful and exciting time there, walking through history.

The flags of the soldiers hanging inside are very old and are corroding. However a soldiers flag must hang like so and cannot be placed on a table. The government wants to remove them, place them in preserved conditions and hang replicas instead but the war veterans will not hear of it. Controversy.

then it's time to leave

The garden outside les invalides.

On my way out I see a few buggys. Turns out a bunch of people are visiting on a buggy tour. How terribly exciting! I get closer to the buggys and take some photos for you guys.

My day has only just begun and it looks promising.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 11th September 2007 at 17:20.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 18:24   #392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
ps - nice pics sam. Im still waiting for that circular saw video though!
I found it Rehaan. But it's not a circular saw sorry.

Well here's a video of Andy Wehrmeyer doing his thing. Though I think this video belongs in the ICE section, but almost all of the ICE section is here, reading this thread anyways lol.

Click on the screenshot to see the video at YouTube.

Old 11th September 2007, 18:35   #393
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
L'arc de troimphe
Oye you still drunk? That's not the arc de Triomphe. Its arc de Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel! WHich is probably why they strategically placed the huge giant wheel behind as maybe an off-beat symbolic thingi! I dunno..those french are nuts.

Last edited by Rtech : 11th September 2007 at 18:37.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 18:58   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

Default The Yeti's take on La Tour Eiffel

It's huge, it's phallic (If you don't know what that means, allow me to explain. It looks like a big penis.) and the symbol of France.

What's the big deal? Honestly I think the Eiffel tower itself is not beautiful at all. It's just a structure of metal. The world is wrong to come and see it. Paris has beauty, has heritage, art, people, music. What's the big deal with a male symbol of industrialization??
I think I'm going to say it. I think the Eiffel Tower is ugly. There.

But it's interesting, like when things are very ugly they are interesting. Like the Elephant Man. La Tour Eiffel was built to stand for 20 years but everyone loved it so they decided to leave it stuck in and then they decided to shave off a few tons as it was sinking in because of the weight.

Because people liked it. Good for them. I tell you this. If you go to Paris, sure you can see the Eiffel (Like you have a choice, it's bloody everywhere!) but don't go there to see the Eiffel Tower. There are things far more beautiful and/or romantic in Paris.

I first go to the beautiful Champ de Mars, where I walk through the garden, staring at the tower. They've suspended a huge rugby ball on the tower. Great, first a penis and now one ball too.

Tonight is the Argentina vs France match. A bunch of brave Argentinians have decided to get drunk and walk everywhere through paris, telling the french that they suck and they're going to lose. We shall see.

Then at the tower itself. It is indeed a marvel of engineering. I grudgingly realise I have no choice but to respect it.

My favourite photo of the Eiffel Tower. I enjoyed taking this photo. Do tell me if you like it. Rudra, if you're here, please PM me some pointers. I have much to learn.

Then move across, up to the Trocadero, to the Musee de L'homme, the museum of the man where the courtyard offers a spectacular and romantic view of the tower.

I reflect for a few minutes. I am free and easy in one of the most beautiful countries in the world. Truly blessed to be able to do this. I am in France. I don't need the flags to remind me of this. I can see something else that tells me I'm in france.

At the trocadero I can see couples kissing and trying to take a photo of themselves kissing with the tower in the background. It's lovely to see the young and old, in the city of love.

Brace yourselves boys!! For the Yeti is going to post an unforgivably romantic photo. A photo you will never forget.
Never been seen before, a Team-BHP exclusive!!

Remember boys, we at Team-BHP respect all people of all races, age, gender and sexual preferences. So be a little careful when you post in reaction to that photo.

Now I'm going to sit back and watch the fun.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 11th September 2007 at 19:01.
Old 11th September 2007, 19:15   #395
Senior - BHPian

awesome pics sam. Its just bringing back memories of my trip to France last year (excluding the kissing pic ). thanks to u.

P.S. Can someone tell me why that scooter has 2 wheels in front? looks wierd to me.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 19:22   #396
BHPian

Aaah Sam, you've become an "agent provocateur" now eh?

Well, live and let live....thats what I say

BTW keep on blogging. Like I said earlier, this is one of the most entertaining posts I've seen on TBHP. Look forward to more of the same.
kurmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 20:11   #397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Oye you still drunk? That's not the arc de Triomphe. Its arc de Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel! WHich is probably why they strategically placed the huge giant wheel behind as maybe an off-beat symbolic thingi! I dunno..those french are nuts.
You're quite, quite right. I meant to say L'arc de triomphe du carrousel. It was a mistake
Old 11th September 2007, 20:15   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I think I'm going to say it. I think the Eiffel Tower is ugly. There.
Sam. Infact this was the 1st thought that came to my mind. I run out of the metro and reach the place where you are sitting on the wall, and all I see is this metal structure. And I was - what is this ? Is this the famed tower ?

But then I was glad I came back and had a look at night. And yeah I have some nice pictures. Will show it to you some time.

And mate - keep going. The picture of the metro is so beautiful. I loved the Paris metro.

More please.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 20:16   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
I am ... in one of the most beautiful countries in the world.
Very correctly said. France in general and Paris (not the one of Hilton fame - though she is not bad either) specifically is truly one of the most beautiful places in the world. Awesome.

Quote:
I am in France. I don't need the flags to remind me of this. I can see something else that tells me I'm in france.
Yes, romantic couples were something you could trip over in Paris. But never saw the types you snapped. Maybe France was not so liberal back then.

Quote:

Same place, different person, different time.
Excuse the poor quality of the photo, which was taken when digital cameras were in their introductory stage.

Thanks again, Sam for taking me back to one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Keep writing.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 20:27   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Yes, romantic couples were something you could trip over in Paris. But never saw the types you snapped. Maybe France was not so liberal back then.
The Mayor of Paris, Bertrand Delanoe is a wonderful man. He loves the city, greenery, the environment. He is also responsible for the bicycle project in Paris, which I shall discuss in a later post.

I can see you went to Paris in 2000. Delanoe has been the Mayor of Paris since 2001.

Mayor Delanoe really loves Paris.

And men.

Paris has had an openly gay mayor for 6 years now. So I'd say they were quite liberal back then

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 11th September 2007 at 20:28.
Old 11th September 2007, 20:33   #401
Senior - BHPian

Sam wonderful pictures.Dont miss the Seine Cruise. Its worth that 10 Euro's you spend.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 20:44   #402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Sam wonderful pictures.Dont miss the Seine Cruise. Its worth that 10 Euro's you spend.
Oh my friend, I think you're going to love my later posts.

In any case I don't think the tourist boatrides are 10 euro, they are more now. Maybe 15 I think.

At the risk of sounding completely pompous, I'll tell you that I had the pleasure of being a guest of the company on a super duper gourmet cruise ship (read: 150 euro a head, dinner jacket and tie compulsory) 2 nights ago. It was one of those experiences I can never forget, on the Bateaux Mouches.

Pictures will follow, I'm getting ahead of myself. Remember, the blog is running slower than I am.
Old 11th September 2007, 20:57   #403
Senior - BHPian

I travelled about 9 months back, my memory is bad.

Quote:
It was one of those experiences I can never forget, on the Bateaux Mouches.

This one ? Lucky you . I could only see it from the outside during the cruise.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 21:03   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Remember boys, we at Team-BHP respect all people of all races, age, gender and sexual preferences. So be a little careful when you post in reaction to that photo. .
apart from amazing pics we see a great personality there dude,hats off to you sam.enjoy and have fun.
payam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 21:54   #405
BHPian

once again lovely pics and write up sam. By the way, i love that ferrari jacket.
hope jacket is a right word.... dont want to get into knicker/uw/trouser kind of a cause celebre....
tifosikrishna is online now   Reply With Quote