Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 13th September 2007, 16:11   #451
BHPian

yeti bhai -- i " discovered "this thread today and i am going to expose my kids to the visual treats of the cars ( minus the babes ofcourse) -- the pics of this trip and the last one make me realize that i really need to visit europe and take the kids there on a vacation some time soon -- been to US many times and have got bored of going there again -- nice snaps overall and a good writeup with it makes it a very very interesting read too
kpbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 16:16   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I may go there in a few months. Not confirmed, but maybe in 6 or 7 months. You like Greece? I can get many photos of men kissing there. Is that why you want me to go? lol
LOLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!

Naah. More of a history buff. If you could get Athens and Delphi it will be great.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 16:16   #453
Senior - BHPian

How did I miss this thread! Spent the past 2 hours browsing through....

Thanks Sam for that great Pics of beautiful Paris, Berlin, exotic Cars and Bikes & interesting blog too! You really had a gala time!

Berlin is now on my List of must see places in Europe!

Last edited by finneyp : 13th September 2007 at 16:17.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 16:41   #454
BHPian

As always, your posts make for an awesome read Sam,The Yeti!!

Some of the pics from Paris and Berlin made me senti. I went around Europe back in 2003 on a shoestring budget (as is the case with most students) - surviving on discount store food (thank god for Leader Price, Lidl and Aldi!!) and traveling mostly by Euroline buses, Easyjet and Ryanair. We did however, hire an Audi A4 for the German leg and touched 230km/hr on the Autobahn.

Its a shame I couldn't afford a digicam back then and shot only select places on film. With time the memory was fading a bit, but your pics brought them right back! More importantly, they inspired me to start saving some moolah to go back and check out all the monuments and museums I missed last time.

Merci Beaucoup!!
Wimwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 20:43   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post
As always, your posts make for an awesome read Sam,The Yeti!!

Some of the pics from Paris and Berlin made me senti. I went around Europe back in 2003 on a shoestring budget (as is the case with most students) - surviving on discount store food (thank god for Leader Price, Lidl and Aldi!!) and traveling mostly by Euroline buses, Easyjet and Ryanair. We did however, hire an Audi A4 for the German leg and touched 230km/hr on the Autobahn.

Its a shame I couldn't afford a digicam back then and shot only select places on film. With time the memory was fading a bit, but your pics brought them right back! More importantly, they inspired me to start saving some moolah to go back and check out all the monuments and museums I missed last time.

Merci Beaucoup!!
I can completely relate to your experience Wimwian! I did the same in 2004 and was lucky enough to do a second in 2005. We stayed in youth hostels, travelled eurail/easyjet (with student discounts), ate at cheap take-aways, got drunk in el cheapo university pubs, shot with kodak film, got my life checked in amsterdam, partied with sooo many interesting people and basically had the time of our lives. I was eurotripped alright!

Next up on the radar is eastern europe. I am truly inspired by Comrade Kapasi and his travels. Prague, Buda and Pest here I come!!
MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 21:28   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some of it is tongue and cheek.
Isnt it Tongue in Cheek ?
Quote:
Accept it.
Accepted.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 22:30   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Whoa! Set your browser window to just a few inches height and scroll up and down on that one. Strangely weird! I thought it was animation at first.

Sam, I'm only up to this post (got behind with the online stuff last few days).

One thing that strikes me about the Paris stuff is the utterly obscene amount of money you're photographing there! I've only vaguely heard of a Maybach --- let alone seen two! OK, that's exceptional, every European city will have it's fair share of RRs and Bentleys and city guys driving Porches --- but the stuff you're finding there!

Interesting-looking Citroen you spotted, I must see their site and have a look at what they are making these days. They used to make exceptional-looking cars, unique-looking cars --- and with quite some technology too, like hydraulic suspension that lifts the car up when you start the engine. You could set the hight to suite the journey. Then they started making run-of-the-mill boring stuff all of a sudden.

I remember a headline, when Ford launched its little Ka: Ford launches Interesting Car: Citroen Launches Boring Car. Or some such.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 01:00   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Default YetiBlog® - An day at the Opera

I had already been disappointed at the Hungarian state opera, but I was determined to make it happen somehow.
The next morning I walked over to the Opera Garnier. Unfortunately, to my great distress, no opera was scheduled either here or at the Bastille.

Unless the crew sang for me on my return flight, it appeared that I was to return without being moved. Most unfortunate.

The Opera is gorgeous on the outside.

I take a walk around the Opera and settle into a little cafe for a while.

Francis takes me to a table. Bonjour monsieur. Francais ou anglais menu?
Anglais s'il vous plait.

Ah, mais vous parlez francais? Je m'appelle Francis.
(he says this because i can manage french pronunciation)

Bonjour Francis, Je suis Sam. Je parle un petit peu francais says I.

Un cafe sans lait pour moi s'il vous plait.

Bon Monsieur et pour le petit dejeuner?

What have you got then?

'am and cheese omelette.
I'm straight faced. Bacon and cheese omelette. Still straight faced. Uhh cheese omelette? I give in. Un cheese omelette.
Cheese omelette? Oui. Solo fromage?

Oui, solo fromage.

Oh.
says Francis, looking completely woefully at me. I've never seen anything like it. He is upset and I'm not imagining it.

Looking at him instinctively I say OK Make it ham and cheese. Francis bursts into a big beaming smile. Oh bon bon, much better monsieur, he says, Clasping and unclasping his hands and then affectionately patting me.

He's patting my shoulder and saying well done to me. He approves of my order now.

God. The French are truly something else. I love France.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 01:09   #459
Senior - BHPian

Sam - Translation please for the others who do not understand French! And yes those Frenchies are indeed something else!

Last edited by iraghava : 14th September 2007 at 01:12.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 01:09   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Default YetiBreak® - French Cafes

Spend some time in Germany and you'll realise something. People do not look at each other.

It is a very Indian habit to look around, to observe the opposite person, male or female. We look around us. Look at people walking amidst us. It is not rude to look.
OK, sometimes you get the occasional dressing down from your special lady for looking at another.
But she's not special! You say sheepishly. You are, baby. No of course she's not good looking. She's too thin for me.

But we look. At men, women, kids, old people. We check them out. Not in Northern Europe they don't. In fact even if they do notice, they pretend not to.

Not the french. They LOVE looking at people. In fact every cafe has chairs pointing all towards the streets! Even today, a well dressed french lady will be mildly offended if you do not look. I've never seen so much peacock syndrome in my life!!

Bars, pubs, cafes, restaurants. You are supposed to look at other people. And smile when you want to. You simply can and they'll smile back and move on.
I'm from Bombay. When someone smiles at me, they either know me (and woe is me, I can't remember their face or name) or I am about to be conned.

Every year I have to switch out of that mode and smile at people.

Back to my tale...
Old 14th September 2007, 01:13   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Sam - Translation please for the others who do not understand French!
Forgive me.

Francis takes me to a table. Bonjour monsieur. Francais ou anglais menu? Hello sir, french or english menu?
Anglais s'il vous plait. English please.

Ah, mais vous parlez francais? Je m'appelle Francis.
Ah but you speak french? My name is Francis. (he says this because i can manage french pronunciation)

Bonjour Francis, Je suis Sam. Je parle un petit peu francais says I.Hello Francis, I am Sam. I speak very very little French.

Un cafe sans lait pour moi s'il vous plait.
One black coffee for me please.

Bon Monsieur et pour le petit dejeuner?
Good (OK) sir and for breakfast?

What have you got then?

'am and cheese omelette.
I'm straight faced. Bacon and cheese omelette. Still straight faced. Uhh cheese omelette? I give in. Un cheese omelette.
Cheese omelette? Oui.
Yes. Solo fromage? Only cheese?

Oui, solo fromage.
Yes, only cheese.

Oh.
says Francis, looking completely woefully at me. I've never seen anything like it. He is upset and I'm not imagining it.

Looking at him instinctively I say OK Make it ham and cheese. Francis bursts into a big beaming smile. Oh bon bon, much better monsieur, he says, Clasping and unclasping his hands and then affectionately patting me.

He's patting my shoulder and saying well done to me. He approves of my order now.

God. The French are truly something else. I love France.
Old 14th September 2007, 01:34   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spend some time in Germany and you'll realise something. People do not look at each other.

It is a very Indian habit to look around, to observe the opposite person, male or female. We look around us. Look at people walking amidst us. It is not rude to look.
OK, sometimes you get the occasional dressing down from your special lady for looking at another.
But she's not special! You say sheepishly. You are, baby. No of course she's not good looking. She's too thin for me.

But we look. At men, women, kids, old people. We check them out. Not in Northern Europe they don't. In fact even if they do notice, they pretend not to.

Not the french. They LOVE looking at people. In fact every cafe has chairs pointing all towards the streets! Even today, a well dressed french lady will be mildly offended if you do not look. I've never seen so much peacock syndrome in my life!!

Bars, pubs, cafes, restaurants. You are supposed to look at other people. And smile when you want to. You simply can and they'll smile back and move on.
I'm from Bombay. When someone smiles at me, they either know me (and woe is me, I can't remember their face or name) or I am about to be conned.

Every year I have to switch out of that mode and smile at people.

Back to my tale...
couldnt help but chuckle there....this is fast turning out to be a cultural (and automotive) observation lesson dressed as a blog. Brilliant!

Here is one more on the Germans....they manage to mask any sort of emotion during conversation (atleast before those humungous beer mugs arrive) which makes it hard to understand whats actually going on in their heads. God, its almost as if you need to reach over and shake some emotion into their straight faces.
MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 01:35   #463
Distinguished - BHPian

Default YetiBlog® - An day at the Opera - continued

Wanting to soak in some atmosphere, I bought an entry ticket and walked into the Opera. What started as a little "let me see what's inside" trip, turned into the most fulfilling part of my journey.

Beautiful. Truly. None of my pictures will do justice to the beauty that is inside the Opera. So few people inside. Do they not know what lies inside the beautiful building? Yes, I agree the outside is brilliant, but the sheer grace, peppered with the obvious opulence is a breathtaking sight.

I walk in, gaping. Like a little hungry child at a buffet full of candy. I want to take a 100 pictures in 100 seconds. I probably take more. I've never seen anything like it in my life.

(you know something, I can clearly hear you guys sucking in your breath. Yes this is the most beautiful thing I have seen too.)

Then I calm myself down. Sit down, on the marble floor. Nay, lie down and just stare. In my mind's eye I see the french royalty swishing up and down in their skirts, with their wigs and corsets. Paris is blessed.

Before I know it, I've been in the Opera for 4 hours. I walk out shaking my head in awe.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 14th September 2007 at 01:47.
Old 14th September 2007, 03:06   #464
Senior - BHPian

wow, you bet atleast i was sucking in my breath. my jaw has touched the floor sam. it must one thing being in the building itself. it truely was a great decision to visit the opera. i am sure you must not have even realised that you spent four hours in the place. truely magnificiant.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 07:25   #465
Distinguished - BHPian

Gosh, they let you in there dressed like that?

The place seems to demand full formal dress, even when empty!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote