Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 15th September 2007, 09:36   #481
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to see a couple of minis (originals) there. I do like the look of Citroen C6. Probably one of the few vehicles from your pics that I might have come close to affording second-hand.

You didn't get to include London on your European schedule? Wise man! It would have been a big anti-climax. Except for our wheel: The London Eye is great!

And I once attended in a performance at Covent Garden (The Royal Opera House) in my scruffy jeans and old shirt. £100 tickets in the stalls! My companions were not amused
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 10:00   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post

Your photography skills are good but they are overshadowed by your writing skills and you humour !!
very true nikhil. i think he doesn't take it very seriously, otherwise he can be give the pros a run for their money.
tifosikrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 12:07   #483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
Your photography skills are good but they are overshadowed by your writing skills and you humour !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
very true nikhil. i think he doesn't take it very seriously, otherwise he can be give the pros a run for their money.
Now just hold on there. I enjoy photography, but I know for a fact that I am nowhere as skilled as Rudra and not as good as you, tifosikrishna. I know a good picture when I see it, but that's about all.
My father is a photographer. A professional photographer (now retired). Unfortunately I neither inherited his talent, nor did I have the interest to do what my dad did. It's some syndrome, I forget the name.

If you are referring to my writing, instead of my photography, I'll tell you that I really enjoy writing. More so now, because you, my friends, like reading what I write. You are very kind to me.

I've mentioned before that I rarely backspace, unless it's a spelling error. It's an easy style, I write as I speak.
I think the day I start taking my writing seriously, nobody will read it anymore. In fact I am pretty sure of it, lol.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 12:52   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I know a good picture when I see it, but that's about all.
you say it as a matter of fact, but i think that is the most difficult part of photography, seeing a good picture, other technical aspects can be mastered with some time and effort.

Quote:
My father is a photographer. A professional photographer (now retired).
aah, now i know where you got that skill from....
tifosikrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 13:20   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Default The Yeti® goes to Marseille, to watch the Rugby world cup

The next morning we were to leave. We made a few groups. The Aussies Aussies Aussies (oi oi oi) were to leave for Lyon, to see the Australia Vs Japan match.

I was to join the Kiwis to Marseille. I didn't know Marseille was next to Monaco. When I am told it was over 800 kms away I am in shock.
Our train is at 0720 from Gare du Lyon. Met up with the guys in the lobby. Everyone's wearing their All Black shirt. Not me, lol. After some good natured leg pulling, one of the kiwis gives me his shirt.
I wear it over my tee shirt. Little do I know what it means to wear one of these.

But we're late. SO late. We reach the station at 0716. We're running so hard it's amazing. Everything is well except for Bob, who's a bit older and having difficulty keeping up.
We're running hard and waving to the guy who's checking the train before he closes doors.

We make it by the skin of our teeth.

The train is beautiful. We're sitting in the 1st, upstairs. The view is panaromic and the sun is out in full swing. In a little while we're staring at the green countryside. We're out of Paris before you know it.

The train is mind bendingly fast. Touching top speeds in excess of 350kmph. 4 engines are driving this TGV. It is so smooth that there's not even a ripple in my glass of water.
When it enters the tunnel my ears get completely blocked.

When we cross another TGV, SWWWWOOOOOSSSSSHHHH it's gone in less than 5 seconds. Relative speed is about 650 kmph. Incroyable!

Later we make our way into the restaurant car and its time for breakfast.

There are so many people on the train wearing the same shirts as us. Unbleievable. And of course by wearing that shirt, you suddenly have a whole bunch of new back slapping friends. "Heeeyyyyyy mate!!!! GO GO GO all blacks!!!! Ka Ora guv, Ka Ora!!!!"
It also means that you speak English. lol. I am busy translating the food to my friends, explaining to them what a compote is lol.

I settle for a sandwich and jus d'orange.

In a little over 3 hours, we land at sunny Marseille. It's hot and sunny and the air is so wonderful. Sleepy marseille has been taken over by rugby fever and all sorts of strange things are happening.

I take a few quick pictures as the guys are waiting. It's bright and the sky is so very blue.

The people are out and they look happy. The girls are out in their really really really tiny All Black mini Skirts and bikini tops. They look incredibly hot. I even see some in all black body suits. I decide not to take any pictures. My colleagues will think I'm a despo.

People are wearing bright beautiful cotton and linen. Some jeans, some suits, some shorts and tee shirts. The sunglasses are out in full force.
Men, women, children, everyone looks beautiful, well dressed and happy. I see some tall guy in a powder blue linen suit with D&G sunglasses on and I think, crap this guy is some superstar, but I can't get his name...hmmm... I walk on. No matter. We're in the south of france. Everyone is a superstar.

Everyone looks tanned and good looking. I feel like I'm walking in some FTV advertisement for Ralph Lauren.

It's bright, it's beautiful, it's exciting summer. The colours are out, people are laughing, smiling, drinking beer, the bikes are revving the cars are roaring.

It's a perfect day to take loads of pictures. I am so excited. I quickly decide to take as many photos as I can.
It's not everyday that one can be in the south of France!

There are worse places to be than this.
Old 15th September 2007, 13:36   #486
Senior - BHPian

Sam,

Those pics of the TGV are slurrppppyyyyyy !!! Awesome man. Thanks for posting those. And it really looks beautiful and sunny.

More More !!
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 13:40   #487
BHPian

Quote:
The girls are out in their really really really tiny All Black mini Skirts and bikini tops. They look incredibly hot.
now where's a photograph when you need one?huh?
doctorkats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 14:16   #488
Distinguished - BHPian

Default The Yeti® goes to Marseille, to watch the Rugby world cup

We step out of Marseille St. Charles and there it is. Beautiful Marseille.

Walk down the steps and take a look back up. It was impossible to take a Marseille Metro - jam packed with a TGV full of people trying to get on with their bags and flags and what not.

We walk a bit and get into a taxi. Bad move.

Poor marseille is jam packed in one day. While speaking to the taxi driver (he speaks no english) I realise, he has an Italian accent in his french and he is flailing his arms about and using his hands to talk. I frown for a minute and then realise. We're only 200 kms from italy. People in Monaco speak both italian and french.
Suddenly, switching from broken french, I speak to him in Italian. He responds without skipping a beat. He hasn't even realised that I've switched languages on him. lol.

In a while, we're at our hotel. We dump our bags and I get rid of the inner tee shirt. It's about 35 degs already.

We're walking. Busloads of people are going around, yelling and honking. I've never seen so many black shirts in my life. They look at half a dozen guys walking around in all blacks and everyone's our friend.

People are literally going bananas!

Oh the things people will do to get on Telly. Those guys are dressed up as prisoners by the way.

Look mama, this is why I bought a Porsche. So we can park in places where no one else can.

And we're sipping and chilling in the hot summer sun of Marseille. Lovely.

We settle down for some food and beer and watch the people go by. We have to yell All Blacks with everyone every now and then.

Then a bunch of really really hot italian women walk in. They're wearing the italian flag around their waists. The whole sidewalk cafe is silent for 10 seconds. It's hilarious. Then the whole gang, the whole cafe on the street is whistling and yelling "Itaaaalia! Italia! clap clap clap" "Itaalia, Italiaaa clap clap clap". They're not cheering the team. They're cheering the girls! The italians girls are soaking it in. Anyone else would have blushed and smiled. These ladies are preening. Ah the Italians...

I realise how many italians are around us. I just notice the black shirts, but italy has probably got more supporters today. Well, like I said, they are only 200 kms away.

Soon it will be time to walk to the stadium.
Old 15th September 2007, 14:46   #489
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Then a bunch of really really hot italian women walk in. They're wearing the italian flag around their waists. The whole sidewalk cafe is silent for 10 seconds. It's hilarious. Then the whole gang, the whole cafe on the street is whistling and yelling "Itaaaalia! Italia! clap clap clap" "Itaalia, Italiaaa clap clap clap". They're not cheering the team. They're cheering the girls! The italians girls are soaking it in. Anyone else would have blushed and smiled. These ladies are preening. Ah the Italians...
Hello!! You post something like that with description and calmly don't post the pics? Sacrilege I tell you.

btw, teh TGV pics were fab. I had been on one looong time back. That time the colour scheme was orange.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 15:08   #490
IMP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Hello!! You post something like that with description and calmly don't post the pics? Sacrilege I tell you.
I second that. this is the second time he's done this.
IMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 15:19   #491
IMP
BHPian

Awesome pics Sam, each one of them. The opera house is too good. Keep em coming.

One question Sam Bhai, how do you manage a connection to the Internet from all these places you have been to?
IMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 15:41   #492
BHPian

Awesome travelogue Sam!

I Missed going to the Opera this August! Dint know it was soooo beautiful inside.

And yes. South of France....truly is amazing! if you can manage Monaco, You can rent a Ferrari F430 Spyder and go around looking like a SuperStar!!! Only 90 Euros for a Sortie ;-)

And hey...keep those pics coming...especially SuperHot Italien Chicks!!! Sigghhh.... I am going back in Time.....
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 16:18   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMP View Post
One question Sam Bhai, how do you manage a connection to the Internet from all these places you have been to?
While I was in Germany, I was lucky. T-Mobile had a special summer offer. 20 Euro for a month of unlimited wi-fi at any T-mobile hotspot. Almost all of berlin is covered, including the hotel I was staying in.
Not only did I write to you guys, but I managed a fair bit of downloading too. Very very fast speeds.

While at Budapest I did not access my computer. In Paris wireless internet was 13 Euro a day at my hotel. I took it on 2 days only. On these days I would finish all my work, send out my emails and write to you guys.
Old 15th September 2007, 17:20   #494
Distinguished - BHPian

Next time, please remember... Cars may be great, buildings may be wonderful... but women are best of all! How can you leave out the women like this!

Cultural differences: I had an Italian girlfriend in London many years back: she used to complain about the British women disliking men looking at them in the street. She used to say that, in Italy, the women take offence if men do not look at them!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 17:48   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But women are best of all! How can you leave out the women like this!
I agree! Sam, come on man, I never expected you of all people to not take pictures, when you saw beautiful women! Not fair, we demand pictures!

I know you MUST have taken some pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Cultural differences: I had an Italian girlfriend in London many years back: she used to complain about the British women disliking men looking at them in the street. She used to say that, in Italy, the women take offence if men do not look at them!
Nice, now only if I too could find a girlfriend like that!!

Last edited by iraghava : 15th September 2007 at 17:51.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote