Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 15th September 2007, 18:18   #496
Senior - BHPian

SAM - Wonderful photos again. The truimph Bike is just FAB !!!

All this time I was wondering how did you get an internet connection - Wifi at 20 Euros a week is a steal !!

You writing in all these pages is just excellent, I will look forward to all your future Blogs at YETIBLOG. Simply great reading.

And pls do us a favour - post some pics of the ' Italian femme fatales ' . And no Men smooching at Eifel Towers OK !!
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 18:24   #497
Distinguished - BHPian

Default The YetiŽ goes to Marseille, for rugby

Soon it's time to go to the stadium. We walk as part of the huge throng, trundling towards the greatest show on earth.
The All Blacks are everywhere, wearing all sorts of funny things.

But, can the italians be far behind???

Soon we're there. The crowds are massive. I did not realise this game was that big. It's great fun and people are busy getting very drunk. What fun.

While I showed you my ticket earlier, I did not read it. Neither did you.

The company arranged for the best seats in the house. Row AA. We're in. The atmosphere is electric. I can hardly wait.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 18:45   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Game Time!!!!!

Old 15th September 2007, 20:06   #499
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The company arranged for the best seats in the house. Row AA. We're in. The atmosphere is electric. I can hardly wait.
Wow, Sam... Now it's too late, I begin to see the point in working hard and being successful!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 20:55   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Then a bunch of really really hot italian women walk in. They're wearing the italian flag around their waists. The whole sidewalk cafe is silent for 10 seconds. It's hilarious. Then the whole gang, the whole cafe on the street is whistling and yelling "Itaaaalia! Italia! clap clap clap" "Itaalia, Italiaaa clap clap clap". They're not cheering the team. They're cheering the girls! The italians girls are soaking it in. Anyone else would have blushed and smiled. These ladies are preening. Ah the Italians...
I am trying to visualise the moment as best as I can. Na, resolution is fuzzy, jerky. Pictures needed. What if we all said..
MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 21:24   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sam i did notice AA on the ticket but since i am not a rugby fan did not pay too much attention to it. my mind was diverted by the car and bikes. still dreaming of the opera house.

the stadium is packed did not know there was such a big turnout for the matches. Romans against the YETI and the YETI wins (presumeing the roman dressed guys are supporters of the other team).
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2007, 11:44   #502
Distinguished - BHPian

Default The YetiŽ goes to Marseille, to watch the Rugby world cup

And then it happens. They come out. The french announcer is going crazy, he sounds very funny.

People are going crazy. The italians are screaming themselves hoarse.
The Kiwis are waiting for the Haka. "Wait for the Haka, Wait for the Haka" tell me my friends.

If you would like to know more about the Haka, read it here.

I am amazed. These guys are HEEEUUGE!

Soon they line up for the national anthem. First the Italian anthem, while we stand. Then clapping. Then the kiwi anthem. It's over and everyone claps, but it begins again. "We have two!" say my kiwi friends winking.

Then there's a hushed silence. A huge microphone is placed on the field and the cameras are ready. The All Blacks form themselves and suddenly I hear the captain roar.

The Ka mate Haka has begun. My hair is standing on end. It is the most powerful display I have seen yet. Suddenly there is a murmur in the crowd. The italians have insulted the All Blacks by facing their backs to them during the haka.
They are supposed to stare the haka down, look back in the faces of the challengers.

The Haka is soon over and some team members walk over angrily to the italians to stare at them and promise them defeat in return for the insult.
I raise my camera for a picture of this moment.

It's a crazy match. Insane. Right from deafening roars to sickening crunches. The All Blacks make mincemeat of the italians.
The french guy is having a mad time time to say their names. He keeps yelling Den Carrterr. (Dan Carter) and the kiwis roll over laughing with tears in their eyes.

It is not a match. It is taking candy from a baby. The all blacks make the italians looks like amateurs. Maybe it was not a good idea to provoke them.

The match ends at 76 -14!!! The All Blacks conquer in style. The screen announces an attendance of 58612 people. I quickly take more pictures

It is a crazy moment. People are going crazy. Beer is being flung around like champagne and the streets of marseille are alive. We too get onto the sidewalks with our beer and watch the people dancing.
It's fully charged and fun. The little all black skirts and the sweaty all black shirts are flying. This is so much fun. Here let me show you

After kicking myself hard repeatedly, I just wrap it up and pack it up. Nevermind. Crap happens and it happened to me. I felt terrible for a while, then just joined in the revelries.

What could I do? I'd forgotten to take the charger to Marseille. My butt was blue from the repeated kicks I;d been giving myself.

I'm sorry guys. The report continues when I return to Paris.
Old 16th September 2007, 19:04   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

Default St. Eustache & an Emotional moment

I'm back in Paris. Just a light and easy day. Walking around, watching the world go by.
I visit les halles. The best place to see parisiennes lazing around. It's not touristy and probably the best place to understand modern french people. I eat some street food and sit in the park for a while. Thinking, nodding, smiling at people.

Close by is the church of St. Eustache.

I walk in. It's not as ornate as any of the previous churches I've seen in france, but has a kindly, stark beauty.
Somewhere in the church I can hear a beautiful female operatic voice. Initially I pass it off as a recorded hymn, but soon realise it's not devotional. It's soft but a truly beautiful operatic female voice.
I'm walking through the church, soaking in the atmosphere. Looking around and listening to the voice. I think back to how I tried to visit the opera in Hungary and paris and failed both times. Listening to the voice fills me up with a strange longing.

I walk around taking a few photos.

Then I leave the church. And I see her outside. It was her voice. She's by herself with a little cd player. And she's singing. And she's singing. With the voice of God. I'm frozen, transfixed and agape.

She's singing and it makes me want to cry. I stop and sit down. I realise that in about 2 minutes I have tears in my eyes. I feel foolish and while wiping my eye I realise the guy next to me is blowing his nose. It's OK to cry.

And she's singing.

Nobody moves. Even the birds are quiet. Even little kids know they need to be quiet. Nobody can move. I'm having difficulty breathing.

Then she finishes. The clapping is spontaneous. She smiles and bows and takes a drink of water. I get up and put some coins in the violin case. She smiles brightly and says "Merci"
I sit down on the pavement and wait. I can't bear to leave.

10 minutes later she pops in another CD and starts singing again. I sit it out. I don't care about dinner or walking or the monuments.

These are the moments life is made of.
Old 16th September 2007, 23:02   #504
Senior - BHPian

nice pics of the match, Sam. the last 4-5 pictures have not come or is it just me.
the church looks beautiful. some of the people who sing on the roads have real captivating voices. you can spend hours hearing them
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 00:03   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Nobody moves. Even the birds are quiet. Even little kids know they need to be quiet. Nobody can move. I'm having difficulty breathing.

Then she finishes. The clapping is spontaneous. She smiles and bows and takes a drink of water. I get up and put some coins in the violin case. She smiles brightly and says "Merci"
I sit down on the pavement and wait. I can't bear to leave.

10 minutes later she pops in another CD and starts singing again. I sit it out. I don't care about dinner or walking or the monuments.

These are the moments life is made of.
Notice how everyone in the background is looking at her, seemingly transfixed. Did you record her singing, by any chance?
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 00:09   #506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Notice how everyone in the background is looking at her, seemingly transfixed. Did you record her singing, by any chance?
No. I should have na? I realise now, I could have recorded her using my phone. I couldn't think of it at the time. I couldn't think straight at the time.

C3PO, no man or woman was without emotion listening to her. It was completely awe inspiring. And so beautifully sad.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 17th September 2007 at 00:17.
Old 17th September 2007, 00:16   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No. I should have na? I realise now, I could have recorded her using my phone. I couldn't think of it at the time. I couldn;t think straight at the time.
There's always next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti Singh
C3PO, no man or woman was without emotion listening to her. It was completely awe inspiring. And so beautifully sad.
I can imagine. I've had the privilege of being witness to something similar, coincidentally just outside a church.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 10:55   #508
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Back to walking in Paris

Next: The Yeti of Notre Dame.
Old 17th September 2007, 13:42   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

Would you believe that I spent several hours on the net yesterday looking at kitchen gadgets? Yes... It's time for me to visit Europe too.

That BMW bike, by the way, with the wrap-around thingy: I think they meant to try to persuade people like me who don't feel at all at home on two wheels that it would be safe. I'm not convinced!

That is a great juxtaposition of Citroen generations: I'd like to see the 2CV next to the C6 in an earlier pic!

But what I'd really love to see is one of the huge old citroens that I mentioned earlier. Sadly, I suspect they had all fallen to bits years ago.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 14:55   #510
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Still walking through Paris

Zak & NC this one is for you.