Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 24th September 2007, 09:11   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Pondy Francais is easier to understand than french French, lol.

Seriously, it is easy to speak to people in the rest of France, especially south. In Paris however, there is a strong, slangy and super fast Parisienne Frnch (like our Bambaiyya hindi) which incorporates many new words, a lot of similes and slang from the franco-arabic and franco-african countries.
The end result can often be difficult for a stranger.

But most parisienne people will speak to you in clean and slow french when they see you making an effort to speak it. I guess the accent gives it away.
Believe me, I could stand next to 2 young Parisiennes arguing and I would understand every 10th word, tops.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 10:45   #527
Distinguished - BHPian

They put me off French at school, and I have remained off it, I'm afraid!

I remain an idiot monoglot.

But I much prefer the sound of German. A good compromise, with that touch of romance in the accent, is Italian: a really great-sounding language

Wait... there's a fart flying around the room. Or is it a mosquito? Kossu, Koossu: Tamil is crazy
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 11:51   #528
BHPian

Thumbs up Excellent

Excellent travelogue Sam!!

Nothing but lots of thanks to you for being so descriptive and taking us poor souls along ! (Well, it sure does feel like being there itself ! )

It's almost like some 3-D movie is going in front of my eyes wherein I can feel walking through the streets and watching all that stuff !!

Once again, thanks a lot!

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
jsrakkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 21:22   #529
Distinguished - BHPian

Default The Yeti® of Notre Dame

7 times to Paris and not once had I ever entered the Notre Dame. Only seen the magnificent twin tower structure from the outside.
This time I am determined to change that fact.

I take the Metro to St. Michel and walked across the bridge. As I walk towards it, once again I am dazzled by the inctricate and beautiful towers.

I approach the entrance and looked up. It was truly majestic. Here is a Cathedral worth visiting only for the feeling of unbridled awe when you look up at it.

Slowly I make my way in. The atmosphere is electric and serene. I have seen many beautiful churches this trip, I am careful not to let my imagination and expectation draw up a spectacle in my mind that cannot be matched.

I walk in and I forget to breathe.

I can now see what the fuss is all about. I want to jump up for joy and faint at the same time. I quickly walk through this massive cathedral and then place myself on a bench.

I'm not religious and I do not pray. One look around me and I can clearly understand why people do.

Then it hits me. The realization of where I am and how blessed my life is. The quiet atmosphere is full of hymn and song and my heart is full. Paris is truly the most beautiful city I've seen in my life.

Then for the first time in my trip, I miss my loved ones. I miss home. I do something I've never done before. I pull out my blackberry and sms my loved ones. While I'm sitting right there, in the church.

I spend a while in silence. It's beautiful. I miss home, strangely. One last longing look up from the front row of benches and it's time to leave.

I walk out and my heart is light again. I start whistling "I love paris (in the springtime)" and walk back to the river.
Old 24th September 2007, 21:24   #530
Senior - BHPian

Sam

We won the WORLD Cup.

CELEBRATE, maaan. CELEBRATE! Go and paint Bombay red. Or blue, or green, or mauve, or torquise, or some exotic color. ANY COLOUR YOU LIKE~!

Last edited by Steeroid : 24th September 2007 at 21:27.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 21:25   #531
Distinguished - BHPian

huh? We have an international Rugby team?
Old 25th September 2007, 01:06   #532
Senior - BHPian

NOTRE DAME is magnificiant. man i have no words to explain. thank you for visiting and sharing the experience with us. i have to plan a trip now for sure.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 13:48   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
huh? We have an international Rugby team?
sam... you are just hilarious.

Ok back to topic, did u visit the white church in Paris? the view of the city from there is magnificent.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 15:29   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow! So Notre dame is magnificent; thanks for the pics, I haven't been there. That stained glass is utterly beautiful, and I bet it knocks you back ten times more in real life (your photos are pretty damn good, by the way ).

But you're lucky not to have had a more frightening encounter... seeing some guy up there, high up, looking pretty wierd with this thing on his back, but moving with the agility of a monkey in a tree.

If you are there at the right time, around mid-day, you might see him take that thing off his back, and, as you watch, horrified but entranced, open it up... and remove... a paper package.

As you watch him untie the string, and remove the paper, you realise that you are one of the few to witness this awful sight:

The Lunchpack of Notre Dame!

Old 25th September 2007, 16:24   #535
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
As you watch him untie the string, and remove the paper, you realise that you are one of the few to witness this awful sight:

The Lunchpack of Notre Dame!

That is truly one of the funniest things I have heard. Must remember that one.
Old 25th September 2007, 18:49   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

I think I heard it on a radio programme maybe thirty or more years ago!

Delighted to be the first to bring it to you

Seriously: I'm not a great visitor of churches, but you've made me want to see those windows!
Old 25th September 2007, 19:35   #537
Senior - BHPian

Thad, that kind of word-play could have come only from a radio program. Most born after late 60s are driven by TV and visual images, and not by mental images created from the written word (and of course, Illustrated Classics comics). Without that, it is difficult to get away with the play on "with that thing on his back" leading to "lunchpack of Notre Dame".

Sam, thanks, you took me back a decade when I had had the same emotional state in Notre Dame. Except there was no Blackberry or cellphone - I wrote a few postcards sitting there. The photos that I had taken with a Minolta film camera should be buried somewhere in my albums. A comparable "overwhelming" experience was listening to the choir (acoustics, no amplification) in the Westminster Cathedral in London.

BTW, which camera have you been using, Sam?
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 19:50   #538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
BTW, which camera have you been using, Sam?
It's been discussed on the thread my friend. The Nikon D40. Terrific camera isn't it?
Old 25th September 2007, 20:31   #539
Distinguished - BHPian

Default The Yeti® cruises the Seine on the Bateaux Mouches

This evening we are to be guests of the company on the finest cruise in Paris. When we received the invitation from the company, I knew it was going to be a special night.
Of course the fact that the attached menu du jour said this, helped me decide that it was special:

We were asked to wear a Jacket and tie. No i wasn't going to wear a tie. But I had my suit from Germany! That would do nicely.Got dressed that evening and went down where the bus was waiting for us.
The bus takes us straight to the harbour and there we are. On my way to the reception/ticket counter I spot an old amphibian. How exciting!

We get onto the reception area and register ourselves. This is all quite posh and nice.

Soon we are assigned to our tables. It's warm in the boat, I quickly take the jacket off. In a short while, dinner will commence.

The view from the mostly glass boat is lovely.

We cross the Eiffel. I realise that they have changed the lower half light to green, to signify the green of the Rugby - nice touch.

Soon we will approach the Statue of Liberty.

I've finished my Brie and Simon decides to go upstairs for a smoke.
Suddenly Simon comes back running, grabs his jacket and Canon EOS5D and runs back up.
One photographers instinct follows another. I throw my wine to a side and grab my jacket and Nikon D40 and run up too. There must be a reason.

The view from terrace of the boat is fantastic!! We are transfixed.

And then it happens again. 5 minutes to the hour and the eiffel goes MAD with the flickering lights. I cannot describe this to you, but if you are ever in Paris, make sure that you are out at 5 minutes to any hour, when it's dark. The eiffel tower goes MAD for 5 minutes!!! One cannot take a photo of this.

We just stay up, staring open mouthed at all the beautiful bridges.

Old 25th September 2007, 20:32   #540
Distinguished - BHPian

Then a very irate and frowning captain comes up and says "Monsieur, ze dessert s'il vous plait"

I clamber back down and finish my dessert. What a lovely dinner.
And a while later, we are back at the hotel. Should we sleep? Yes. Do we? No.

We wander off to another parisienne bar and drink up a storm. Laughing, joking and exchanging funny stories from around the world. I get completely drunk and have a blast.

I should. This is my last night in Paris.