Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 10th September 2008, 02:26   #706
Team-BHP Support

Is that not a normal 599GTB fiorano? I can't make out.

Nice travelogue. Gujjus eating theplas is too cool. Even I carry a packet of Khakhras and chaklis wherever I go. Veg food was so difficult in Holland.

Yes I found out only when I got the hotel bill that I was charged 2euros for every glass of water I ordered in room service.

ps: I see your having jetlag.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 02:32   #707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
that V12 under the hood?
Ufff Dippy, do I have to teach you everything? The engine is in the Dicky, not in the hood.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 02:37   #708
Senior - BHPian

Double ufff to you

It is the 599. This one has the engine in front under the hood Mr Kapasi .

Last edited by Dippy : 10th September 2008 at 02:42.
Dippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 02:48   #709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Double ufff to you

It is the 599. This one has the engine in front under the hood Mr Kapasi .
Accha!! So that's why the back was normal looking and the front looked different. lol.

By the way the front looks like a Porsche. Anyways, like I said, they did not let me drive this car. Maine nahi chalaya.
Old 10th September 2008, 02:53   #710
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb. Excellent.

Let me just nip out and see if my Swift Engine is front or back...

(Hey... I only discovered it had a rear fog light in the middle of posting on t-bhp <Blush>)

Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 03:23   #711
Team-BHP Support

Question Boris Baweja?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Now it's your turn to tell me why it is such a big deal.
It's special because of what the front number plate says - !?
If not, then I have no idea.
aah78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 11:04   #712
Team-BHP Support

You know Sam I can totally sympathise with the water issue. When I lived in India I used to carry bottles of water to the airport so that my Indian friends would not get so starved. I used to tell them that they have to buy water in Germany. Many reduced their intake just to conserve their DM.

Today when I travel I carry 2 empty water bottles (each of 500-600ml) that I can fill from the tap.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 11:19   #713
Team-BHP Support

Why can't you drink from the tap, why buy bottles?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 11:19   #714
Team-BHP Support

How are the public toilets in Germany? I remember amsterdam having these weird public loos which were just plastic pods on the footpath.

It was almost like in india on the roads in the open only thing you do it in those plastic pods open on the road.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 12:35   #715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
How are the public toilets in Germany? I remember amsterdam having these weird public loos which were just plastic pods on the footpath.

It was almost like in india on the roads in the open only thing you do it in those plastic pods open on the road.
No such plastic things in Germany. If you remember from my earlier post the public toilet had a Villeroy & Boch Pee pee.

The only time I saw plastic loos (porta-cabin toilets) was at the madonna concert where they had about 50 units back to back. I did not use them.

Every place has a toilet that the customers can use. However stations and other public places require a small fee to use the impeccably clean toilets.
The fee is nominal by German standards, 30 to 50 cents.

Once at Frankfurt Railway Station I really needed to pee. I paid my 50 cents and while I was peeing, my brain started working as I realised that I had paid almost Rs.35/- to urinate.

I almost stopped peeing there for that moment.
Old 10th September 2008, 14:06   #716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

Once at Frankfurt Railway Station I really needed to pee. I paid my 50 cents and while I was peeing, my brain started working as I realised that I had paid almost Rs.35/- to urinate.
you should have used the Indian trick - simply walk into a waiting train, pee and leave.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 14:47   #717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
you should have used the Indian trick - simply walk into a waiting train, pee and leave.
Great indian trick, but when you finish your pee, you will be close to Koblenz or Mannheim or Wurzburg or Fulda depending on which side of the track you got into ! So, better throw that Rs.35/- than getting into so many other 'after-effects'.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 18:31   #718
Distinguished - BHPian

Default YetiBlog® - 28th August 2008 - Madonna!! Madonna!!

We quickly finish the opening presentations of the Harman booth and leave, clutching our tickets. I do not know about the others, but I am shaking slightly with excitement.

Unfortunately the show does not allow cameras and we have sent ours away with TheOne® who has gone back to the hotel to change.
Earlier that evening as a surprise for her, Jenny's boss organised 3 tickets for Jenny and her 2 colleagues for the Madonna show. Unexpected, but she is super-happy.

Unfortunately the tickets are for the Innenraum, the standing arena, while we have purchased VIP seats.
We reach on time, but the traffic jam is truly incredible. As usual we end up with an old taxi driver who neither knows the word Madonna, nor speaks English and is completely confused with the traffic jam on the way to the stadium.
We walk a little, meeting up near the entrance. The atmosphere is GREAT! The Berlin Olympiastadion is full of people. There is a mini carnival outside, lots of beer.
We buy a few beers, noting that there is a 1euro pfand (deposit) on the beer mugs and since I'm hingry, I stand in line and eat 2 Kase-Schinken Stänges. (Cheese-bacon uh -- flatbreads)

Despite the thousands of people, the order is incredible. We find our entrances with the help of the many ushers and get into our seats.
It is truly great.

The opening act is on, some girl who is singing some poppy angst-filled tunes and a group of girls (obviously her fans or friends) are singing and dancing on the row ahead of ours.]

There are many girls here, many quite good-looking. I look into the arena but obviously cannot figure out where Jenny, Jenny and Rosina are. The cool thing is that Jenny has given me an extra sim card she had and I have out it into a Nokia 1110. We call each other all day and this is cool. Otherwise I would spend on my daily bill, more than the value of that 1110.
It starts raining.

This is not cool as the stadion is only half covered and many of us feel the stinging needles of the icy rain. No matter, we wait for Madge.
As it gets darker the lights turn on.

Later Jenny and I manage to find each other by waving and talking on our phones. Of course she and I are in separate sections and security won't let us pass.
Can we just go across for a kiss? She asks the lady guard sweetly in german.

The lady smiles and nods and we spend a few minutes before the event together.

Then - it's Madonna-time.

I cannot use my words to describe to you the electricity that courses through the air when Madonna gets on stage. Unfortunately we are quite far away and if it is not for the screen, I would not enjoy it so much.

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-img0055_lowres.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-img0058_lowres.jpg

The lights, laser show and overall assault on the senses is incredible. I have seen shows before, international ones too and I have never seen such a extravagance of lights and sound. It is truly larger than life.
And Madonna? When she jumps out on the stage gyrating to "Sticky and Sweet, Sticky and Sweet" - my hair stands on end.

By the 3rd song I leave my silly chair and I have gone to a section where I can see some young people dancing on chairs. I have already downed 3 beers but the alcohol is no comparison to the elation I feel. I climb up on the chairs and start dancing. Tonight I have friends with no names and people I will never see again. We are all here for one reason. Later a few of my Indian friends join me, I also realise that I am somehow surrounded by a group of 3 very hot blonde girls who are dancing with me (I didn't know it, till I was told) - All of it is no matter. Tonight, it's just madonna and I in the Berlin-Olympiastadion.

She stings with political messages and second-long videos of Bush, Mccain, Osama, Obama and Hitler. Her ideas are clear, she is here to arouse all senses.
I forget everyone around me and I can see Madonna look into my eyes. I dance, dance hard and sing at the top of my voice.

It is a great show, better than my expectations.

When the house lights are all on, I spot Jenny sitting on the side, on the ground. She is too tired to stand and dance. Besides, I suspect she does not share my passion for Madonna.

On our way out I have my arm around her and I'm still panting with tiredness and disbelief and we are stopped by a lady with a Radio station Microphone. The conversation is in German but I realise that she is asking the obvious question.

Then to my utter disbelief I hear Jenny say something and them she says OK.

I realise that Jenny has just told the Radio Station that the show was O...K...
The presenter looks at her incredulously and asks again? Just O...K...?
I turn to Jenny, my arm still around her, my mouth is wide open as she says it again.

WOMEN!!!

Soon we all meet up and proceed to walk. There are thousands and thousands of people, getting a taxi is out of the question.
15 of us walk towards the next junction and then we call the taxi company. They practically laugh at us when we try to order the taxis.
We cross the U-Bahn station on the way but there is a sea of people trying to enter the trains. Besides we have no tickets and getting 15 tickets out of the machine in this chaos seems unpleasant.

Later we give up, there is no other way but to jump in this sea of people and take the train.

By the time we reach the station, there is a policeman standing at the entrance to the station. Everyone is waiting patiently. No raised voices, no trouble no worries. Thousands and thousands of Germans are waiting peacefully till the policeman tells them it is ok to enter the station now.

There are no tickets tonight, says the policeman, just show your madonna ticket and it is OK.

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-img0059_lowres.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-img0060_lowres.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-img0061_lowres.jpg

We wait as there is a railway guard at each point where a compartment will arrive. People form lines peacefully and then we enter an empty train that gets packed in a few seconds. It is as badly packed as a Mumbai local, only everyone is inside the train.
Our European friends are laughing and giggling and are a bit shocked at the situation, the people from India are just standing like it is just another day.
It is still a long walk after the destination, till we can get a taxi back to the hotel.

The hotel does not offer food 24 hours a day, no hotel really does that in Germany. The reception gives us the number of a Pizza joint that delivers till 3am. We order pizzas for everyone and leave for our room.
Soon we get a call. The Pizza has arrived but we have to come down to the lobby to get it.

It has been a long and wonderful day. We eat and crash.

I saw Madonna Live today.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 10th September 2008 at 18:34.
Old 10th September 2008, 18:33   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why can't you drink from the tap, why buy bottles?
because taps are not available everywhere. I also carry a 1 L bottle of water here in US instead of buying it from the store.

It's estimated that preparation of each bottle of water requires 3-4 bottles of water (manufacturing the bottle, filtering and filling water etc). not to mention energy and more energy in transportation.

one of my friends was advised by doctor to give his daughter plain tap water since filtered water is missing certain minerals. not sure why the regular food could not supply those.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 18:50   #720
Distinguished - BHPian

Default YetiBlog® - 29th August 2008

It is going to be a long day. I wake up early for breakfast meetings and lots of work.

Later we will spend the whole day at IFA 2008 checking out our booth and the other booths this year. We will also have meetings and finish much work.

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1648_lowres.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1650_lowres.jpg

It is a busy and fruitful day. Tonight is our special dinner at the Indian restaurant. I invite some of our European colleagues to join us, they accept happily.

The restaurant is incredible. The waitiers, Bunty and Imran do their best to entertain us. It is incredible.

Bunty looks cool, wears an Eyebrow ring and stuff. He speaks only THET punjabi and flawless german. Some of my colleagues from up north are shocked and surprised at how thet his punjabi is. I have difficulty understanding him.

He is super cocky and super funny and we have a great time and a fantastic meal.
Bunty tells us his Babli is German and he lives in Berlin.

The food is great, I would be pleased to eat this punjabi food even in India. It is normal spicy and is served with Raita, Pyaaz, Achaar, Chunda and my guests have a great time, remarking how great it is to have such Indian food so far away from home.

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1665_lowres.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1667_lowres.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1670_lowres.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1671_lowres.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1673_lowres.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1675_lowres.jpg

The Yeti's European Odyssey - It begins again from pg 12-dsc_1676_lowres.jpg

The evening is spent exchanging indo-german cultural stories and laughing loudly. We really make a commotion in this otherwise quiet place.
Imran and Bunty are piling on the tikkas and pakoras and papads and the dal, rice and rotis. When we are stuffed and can eat no more they look at us in mock anger and say "Aapko majaa nahi aaya khane mein?" (Did you not enjoy the food?)

It is a wonderful evening, too much food and we all decide to end it with a walk through the dark and quiet streets of Berlin with a map. Jenny leads the way and we all follow, chatting and laughing merrily.
The Indians have finally broken out their shy shell and mix and mingle wonderfully with our other colleagues and the spirits are high.

What a great evening it has been!