Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 16th June 2016, 11:39   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Tesla Model X SUV launched

And now Tesla takes a new route for its product sales

http://www.retailingtoday.com/articl...&mid=11809628#

The nationís highest-profile electric car-marker is taking an unusual route to get its product out in front of potential customers.

Tesla Motors on Saturday will open a 400-sq.-ft. gallery in Nordstromís store at The Grove, an upscale shopping center in Los Angeles. The space will be dedicated to Tesla's Model X SUV, and also feature mix-and-match interior car panel displays and on-site test drives with Tesla employees. The gallery, which will be located in the menís department on the first floor, will be open through 2016.

"Weíre focused on listening to our customers and seeing how they respond to this type of differentiated experience," Nordstrom said in a report by Fast Company.

Tesla sells its vehicles through its own branded stores as opposed to traditional dealerships. It also operates showrooms or galleries where customers can learn about the cars but not always buy them on site. Tesla is currently in the process of obtaining a sales license for its gallery in Nordstrom, according to Fast Company.
KD007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2017, 22:23   #47
BHPian

One thing I found interesting was the front power door opening.
Elon Musk demo'ed it when he unveiled it - as he came near the door, it opened by itself.

However, I am sceptical about its functionality in real-life conditions. Please go through the following scenarios;
1. The owner is coming towards the car intending to get in. The car detects the owner and starts to open the door. Suddenly a speeding motorcyclist comes from nowhere towards the car (driver side).
2. The owner stops the car by the kerb and prepared to get out. The door starts to open by itself. A speeding motorcyclist comes from behind.

Assume that in both cases, the motorcyclist will hit the door if it opens.

I assume the car can detect static obstacles near the door opening range ( a bin, a pillar, a wall). I am wondering if the power door opening would be able to detect dynamic obstacles ( a motorcycle, a running pedestrian).

This would need a range of sensors which will detect and a sophisticated algorithm to predict the trajectory of the possible obstacle. Ideally, the door won't open until the obstacle passes.

Since Elon is aiming self driving capabilities for Tesla by 2020, I am sure there are some good sensors in the car.

What are your thoughts BHP'ians?

rokindotnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 08:14   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Tesla Model X is the first SUV ever to receive a 5-Star safety rating in every category and becomes the safest SUV ever tested.

Federal regulators have given the Tesla Model X a perfect five-star safety rating, the first SUV ever to get the top score.

Quote:
Hundreds of other SUV models have been given five stars overall by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. But in each case, the SUV received only four stars on one of the component ratings, typically rollover risk. SUVs have a higher center of gravity and are more prone to roll over than a typical family sedan.
link

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th June 2017 at 08:19.
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2017, 02:42   #49
BHPian

I’ve booked one for tomorrow ! I’m taking it down the pacific coast highway ! I’m really excited :-)Tesla Model X SUV launched-2af6c00834ca4c4982fbd862fab705a9.png
reihem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2017, 05:24   #50
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Would love to hear your thoughts on the Model X

As someone who now parks in a tight garage with 2 motorcycles just outside the driver side door, I just love the auto opening doors and even more the obstacle detection. Fantastic stuff.
abhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2017, 06:13   #51
BHPian

I had a blast. Will add some videos.

Tesla Model X SUV launched-img_1548.jpg

Tesla Model X SUV launched-img_1552.jpg

Tesla Model X SUV launched-img_1553.jpg

Tesla Model X SUV launched-img_1557.jpg

Tesla Model X SUV launched-img_1613.jpg

Tesla Model X SUV launched-img_1640.jpg
reihem is offline   Reply With Quote