Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 6th November 2015, 11:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Hyundai launches the Genesis luxury brand

While Hyundai (and sister concern Kia) have revamped their worldwide image, the South Korean automaker is looking to go deeper into the luxury sector. The Genesis has won Hyundai several accolades the world over and capitalizing on its premium image, Hyundai has now launched Genesis as a separate, global luxury brand.

Hyundai launches the Genesis luxury brand-1.jpg

Hyundai will launch six new Genesis models by 2020, with the roll out beginning in this December. The Genesis brand will cater to customers who are largely targeted by rival Euro brands. Genesis models will be badged with a new wing-type emblem, redesigned from the version used on the current Genesis luxury saloon. The Genesis brand will also adopt a new alphanumeric naming structure. Future models will be named by combining the letter ‘G’ for Genesis with a number (90, 80 or 70 etc.) representing the segment.

Luc Donckerwolke, who was previously responsible for the design of cars like the Lamborghini Gallardo, Lamborghini Murciélago and Bentley Flying Spur will lead this new division alongside his role as head of the Hyundai Motor Design Center.

Genesis will initially target the Korean, Chinese, North American and Middle Eastern luxury car markets, before expanding its reach to Europe and other parts of Asia as the model range expands.

The Equus and Genesis have served as market testers for Hyundai, helping the brand understand premium car customers better. Suffices to say that apart from offering technologically loaded products, the brand will focus on its image which will have to fight hard to gain the prestige enjoyed by players like Audi, Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Jaguar.

While the Genesis brand is still a long way from entering India, it remains to be see if/when Hyundai will launch the Genesis saloon here. The car has been showcased and spied, but an official launch confirmation is still awaited.

Hyundai launches the Genesis luxury brand-2.jpg

Last edited by Tushar : 6th November 2015 at 11:12.
Tushar is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 20:43   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai launches the Genesis luxury brand

I always used to think that Kia was meant to be the premium brand, but obviously that's not the case. It will be interesting to see how Hyundai handles pricing etc.

Also, just last week, I saw a Genesis here in Chennai. Either it belonged to some upper level Hyundai employee or the launch of the Genesis in India is not as far away as we believe it to be.
SS8939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2015, 09:36   #3
BHPian

Would like to share an interesting chat with Umer, a sales guy with Carmax in Fairfax, VA.

Once I visited CarMax to have a look at the wide range of cars they have on display. Surprised to see many a Genesis cars available with them. Out of my curiosity, I asked him, whats your call on this car. He said, it doesn't keep up to the promises made.

The car looks good but fails miserably on the engine and torque aspects. Both of them just don't jell together, says Umer.
MercFan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2015, 12:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

I just hope they bring this baby here, if they are launching it in India.

Hyundai launches the Genesis luxury brand-2010hyundaigenesiscoupe5.jpg
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2015, 16:40   #5
BHPian

This is great news and if they make the right moves this will be one of the most selling Asian luxury brand in the making. I remember the days when Equus car was launched in US, it was on par with Lexus LS460 in terms of features and specifications at much lower price. But because of the brand value Lexus never saw it to be a threat.

I think Hyundai has earned its value over the last decade and developed into to a force to reckon. This is right timing for them to introduce a dedicated luxury brand.
thatsdileep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2015, 12:03   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, Hyundai has the money to take the risk, and the talent to make superb cars. If they can offer premium quality in mass market cars (e.g. i20), I don't see why they can't offer super-premium quality higher up the food chain.

Smart move with the 'showroom within a showroom'. Independent dealerships cost a whole lot of time & money.

Hyundai has a lot to learn from Lexus' success and Acura's failure. It's not a company known to make mistakes either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post
I always used to think that Kia was meant to be the premium brand
Kia is generally positioned lower than Hyundai, not above it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFan View Post
Would like to share an interesting chat with Umer, a sales guy with Carmax in Fairfax, VA.
It was just one person's opinion. I wouldn't give it too much importance.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 07:42   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Genesis confirms plans for two crossovers and a coupe. Their future product lineup will include six models by 2020.

The lineup will include a "sports type coupe," a midsize sedan, a large sedan, a midsize SUV, and a large SUV. The new models will join the G90 / EQ900 super luxury sedan which is already introduced.

http://jalopnik.com/hyundai-plans-ge...020-1747073736

volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote