Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 26th March 2016, 23:10   #1
Distinguished - BHPian
Default The Ford Fiesta is 40 years old

The Ford Fiesta is forty years old - life for the Fiesta has begun at 40. The car has been among the best sellers in the U.K. and many other countries as a reliable budget car with a mass appeal. It is into its seventh generation now.

(the tributes are in 40 pictures)
anjan_c2007 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 01:58   #2
Default re: The Ford Fiesta is 40 years old

Well one of my all-time favorites.

Driven quite a few Fords and owned one as well (Ford Taurus) when in US. Most Fords are good driver's car and manage to put a grin on the driver's face every time.

The one car I loved the most was the little Fiesta. If Ford had the baby Fiesta in India I would have bought it in a blink.

I own a Fiat GP 90 HP and the only three cars short listed were Linea TJET, Punto MJD and the Ford Fiesta Sedan. Just as a driver's car Fiesta just about edges the Fiats (a combination of Swift's peppiness and Linea's dynamics).
The Fiesta lost out on three counts
  • The front and the rear (interiors) looks as if they belong to two different cars. Sitting in the driver's seat and then moving to rear seats somehow gives you a feeling as the car had been made keeping in mind the front passengers only. Space at rear is lesser than competitors.
  • It sells lesser than a Linea. When will Indians warm up to honest cars.
  • My priorities were build, safety features, driving dynamics, ride and handling and space in that order. Both the Fiats beat it when all things are put together. But taking just driving dynamics and handling into consideration me as a Fiat owner got to admit that it beats both the Fiats but just. It is the second best driver's car south of a million bucks. The Abarth just beat it to the throne recently.

The TJET, GP 90 HP and the Fiesta were rated as 1, 2 & 3 during my car buying decision making. TJET was struck off being a petrol as the primary reason was to make road trips and since my wife was to share the car as well I was a little afraid if she could manage that big car. Still regret that decision which was reinforced recently after driving the Evo Abarth.

If ever Ford comes up with the Fiesta Hatch Sports version I will happily trade off my Punto and get it. Linea 125 S will be other fun car in my garage.

I do hope Ford in India sticks to its DNA and continues giving us cars like Ikon, old Fiesta, new Fiesta and the old Figo. One somehow doesn't get that Ford DNA in Aspire and the new Figo though they both are great cars but just don't touch a driver's heart as the earlier Fords did.
nibedk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 07:49   #3
Default re: The Ford Fiesta is 40 years old

Long live Ford Fiesta. I can vouch for the Ford DNA. Driven the following since 1975:
Ford Zodiac MKII, 2.5 L inline 6
Ford Cortina Mk III, 1.6 L inline 4, Weber twin barrel carb.
Ford Ikon 1.6 L
Ford Fiesta Classic 1.6 L
Ford India should never have discontinued the old Fiesta - so many fans right in this forum.
Go Further.

Last edited by techiecal : 27th March 2016 at 08:00.
techiecal is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 23:03   #4
Team-BHP Support
Default Re: The Ford Fiesta is 40 years old

Nice to hear that the marque is 40 years old and going strong globally (maybe not so much in India)

Also, keep in mind that what we know and love as Ikon and Figo are all really Fiestas sold with different names for India

Last edited by Mpower : 3rd April 2016 at 19:01.
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 09:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Nice to hear that the marque is 40 years old and going strong globally (maybe not so much in India)
May be not so much in India? They slaughtered the Fiesta nameplate since 2010. If I may name a few,

1. Stopping the S variant
2. Launching the (Global) Fiesta in an absurd price
3. Giving a pathetic 1.5L petrol engine with the (Global) Fiesta
4. Re-launching the (Global) Fiesta at a competitive price BUT made sure no one knew that it existed and IF a poor soul entered the showroom to buy a Fiesta, directing him to buy an Ecosport instead
5. Stopping (Global) Fiesta production but still list it in the website because some dealer is having singular unsold stock

How cruel can a company be to this nameplate?

Thankfully the Fiesta brand is strong globally.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 10:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

40 years. Wow!
And the indian fiesta(classic) is the least fiesta of the fiestas! I mean, the fiesta that put ford on top of the handling chain.
The figo and the Ikon are closer to the fiesta than the classic fiesta. The current figo, as well. So, not really dead, is it?
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 10:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

We have owned at least 4-5 Fiesta's. Really like them, as most Fords, they handle well and they have always proved pretty reliable.

All our Fiesta's where second hand at least, so I have no experience with the latest models. Always do all the maintenance ourselves, Pretty easy cars for the DIY enthusiast.

One little problem they all suffered from was problems with the idle-air-valve. Taking the valve apart and cleaning it, or just replacing it, always solved the problem.

Our current Fiesta is a 2000 model with about 100.000km on the clock. We bought in 2012 whilst moving from Kansas City to Delhi. It sits outside our home in the Netherlands for whenever we visit. I bought it for Euro 1200 even came with four new tires. Euro 1200 will get you a nice new bicycle so it's really cheap.

Over the last four years it has never let us down. After months of sitting idle outside, it just starts up and drives. Dont even disconnect the battery.

Only problem, as expected with the idle-air-valve.

If there is a weak point, I would say its rust. Especially the wheel arches can be very prone to rust. Ours, remarkably, has no rust whatsoever. Which is pretty unusual in my experience.

Whenever we get back to the Netherlands on a more permanent basis we are likely to go for an upgrade of our current Fiesta to a slightly newer model.

Really nice little cars. I like driving all my big, fancy cars. But I must admit I do enjoy driving this little car as well. Handles well, corners like a go-cart.

Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote