GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Nissan overtakes Honda & Hyundai in USA - Becomes No.2 import brand

Full AutoNews Article

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1316
Size:  50.6 KB

Quote:
Five years ago, when its U.S. share stood at 8.2 percent, below that of Hyundai-Kia Automotive, Nissan Motor Co. CEO Carlos Ghosn declared that his company would achieve a 10 percent U.S. market share by March 31, 2017. Competitors and observers rolled their eyes dismissively. But now, Nissan is within a whisker of Ghosn's goal line, 12 months early.

And new products are now reaching the U.S. market in volumes that should boost the automaker's performance here further. Chief among them: the redesigned full-size Titan pickup. Nissan has been more or less absent from the big-truck segment in recent years, with less than a 1 percent share.

Nissan North America also vowed in 2011 to overtake Honda to become the No. 2 import automaker in the U.S. market. That goal seemed particularly implausible. Not only is Honda a powerhouse in compact crossovers with its popular CR-V, but the Civic remains hugely popular. Nissan's ambition also seemed to gloss over the strength of American Honda Motor Co.'s premium Acura brand, which routinely overshadows Nissan's Infiniti marque.

But for the first three months of this year, Nissan North America outsold American Honda, including Acura.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 11:08   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Nissan overtakes Honda & Hyundai in USA - Becomes No.2 import brand

Great news for Nissan in the centre of the automotive world. The story for Nissan there is very different from the story here in India.

Over there, their products, especially the Altima, Maxima are strong contenders in the sedan category. Nissan products have an aspirational value there unlike here in India. When I was there in the US, I knew so many folks who wanted to upgrade to the Altima and the Maxima.

With new products and also the Nissan Leaf in the market, I think their trajectory is on the upward trend there. Toyota and Honda are getting complacent and some competition is always good.
nivatakavacha is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 10:29   #3
BHPian

In the Indian market Nissan doesn't have a wide range and it's product portfolio fails to cater to all the segment of car buyers; unlike Maruti and Hyundai. Their partnership with Renault didn't help much. The only saving grace for Nissan was it's nationality but it failed to capitalise on it.

It's good to see their ascending trajectory and that too in the American automobile market.

Last edited by cruising_rapid : 10th May 2016 at 10:31.
cruising_rapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 22:45   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivatakavacha View Post
Great news for Nissan in the centre of the automotive world. The story for Nissan there is very different from the story here in India.

Over there, their products, especially the Altima, Maxima are strong contenders in the sedan category. Nissan products have an aspirational value there unlike here in India. When I was there in the US, I knew so many folks who wanted to upgrade to the Altima and the Maxima.

With new products and also the Nissan Leaf in the market, I think their trajectory is on the upward trend there. Toyota and Honda are getting complacent and some competition is always good.
Nissan's Indian offerings dont have what it takes to entice people. The Nissan sunny (Versa here in the US) doesnt look as good as a Ford Fiesta or a Suzuki SX4 or a Honda City. The Terrano is more utilitarian than stylish and the Xtrail is too expensive and lets hope its not as big a disaster as its Pathfinder namesake here in the US. Forbes ranked it as one of the least reliable cars in the US (Lots of CVT problems I hear). And you're right, the Altima and Maxima really blow away the sales. IMO Nissan should try launching the Altima in India, but soften the suspension setup. I can attest to the Altima being a great car.
studentonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote