Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 9th October 2006, 12:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default All new Mitsubishi Pajero revealed

The iconic Mitsubishi Pajero 4x4 comes in for a complete redesign as the Japanese company reveals its new global standard SUV at the Paris Motor Show at the end of this month. This Pajero is the fourth in the series, and retains the all-round SUV specifications of its predecessor, as seen in its approach angle, ground clearance and other all-terrain performance parameters.

New features that distinguish the fourth-generation Pajero include:

A new 3.2-litre 4-cylinder diesel with common rail direct fuel injection or a 3.8-litre V6 MIVEC*1 petrol unit.
A 4WD system with the sophisticated Super Select 4WD-II transfer case plus both ASTC*2 and a locking rear differential, developed on the bedrock of MMC's All-Wheel-Control (AWC) concept and delivering significant improvements in both off-road and tarmac performance.
Tastefully designed dashboard and interior complemented by high-end equipment such as Rockford Acoustic Design Premium Sound System with a new 860W 12-speaker.
This latest Pajero is to be produced in Japan, and MMC plans to start shipments to Europe in September, followed by shipments in Japan and to Australia in October.

Eventually the company plans to export the car to some 170 countries and regions in the Near and Middle East, Central and South America, and Asia and ASEAN regions - which would include South Africa.

Debuting alongside at the Paris Motor Show will be the similarly-styled next generation of Pajero Evolution which will be entered at the 2007 Dakar Rally.

More than 2.5-million Pajeros have been produced in the approximately 25 years since the first generation was launched in 1982.

Source:www.mweb.co.za
Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2006, 13:00   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Actually its not all-new. Its a facelift. Among the significant new features are:

1. Redesigned front and read end (with no spare wheel on the tailgate)

2. Fresher interiors.

3. A common-rail 3.2.

Otherwise, its pretty much the same car.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2006, 13:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yup its a facelift. Saw a picture yesterday - it looks like a LR from dead front thanks to the headlamps which have a very LandRover-ish treatment. The nose is also a lot flatter, adding to the impression.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2006, 14:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yeah that's what I thought after looking at the picture & two options came to mind either it's a facelift or the design department guys at Mitsubishi are incredibly lazy!!

Would be interesting to see if they will bring this version to India. 'Cause the older-gen version being sold here with the hideous paint job is not really selling at all. Maybe if they could bring this one in as an SKD and price it around the 20L mark then could have some decent numbers on their side. The Pajero has a great brand in India but it hasn't been exploited properly by HM like many other things.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2006, 17:11   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Yeah that's what I thought after looking at the picture & two options came to mind either it's a facelift or the design department guys at Mitsubishi are incredibly lazy!!

Would be interesting to see if they will bring this version to India. 'Cause the older-gen version being sold here with the hideous paint job is not really selling at all. Maybe if they could bring this one in as an SKD and price it around the 20L mark then could have some decent numbers on their side. The Pajero has a great brand in India but it hasn't been exploited properly by HM like many other things.
True..... HM has totally messed up the Pajero. And IMHO, the worst thing they could do in marketing the car is sell the iconic Dakar Rally winning Pajero rebadged as a MONTERO !!

and of course, people dont trust HM (at least I dont and many people I know dont ). My dad was thinking of buying a Cedia but decided against it coz HM are in charge of Mitsu in India.

I hope Mitsu ditch HM and come in on their own.

And for the "new" Pajero, it doesnt look good... I liked the way the previous generation Pajero looked.

Last edited by F50 : 10th October 2006 at 10:34.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2006, 18:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Any news on how much power this new CRDi 3.2 engine produces?
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 09:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

dont start another mitsu bashing thread. Stick to the topic.

the new pajero is not exactly ground breaking, but maybe many will consider it in line with other suv's. I expected more after the mitsubishi eclipse, mitsubishi outlander launch and gallant ralliart launch.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 13:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Dev - There's no Mitsu bashing happening here. I simply said HM hashed things up, never blamed Mitsu for it.

As for the Pajero all depends on the price point, choice of engine etc. The last Pajero's haven't done well mainly due to the price issues. If they could rejig their policy and make the Pajero more affordable they could have a sales success on their hands.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 13:38   #9
BANNED

Looks like MMC dropped the ball with this one. Looks absolutely plain to me, and doesn't have any of the rugged character of the previous gen Pajeros.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 14:31   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84

the new pajero is not exactly ground breaking, but maybe many will consider it in line with other suv's. I expected more after the mitsubishi eclipse, mitsubishi outlander launch and gallant ralliart launch.
As iraghava said, there is no mitsu bashing here....

I for a fact LOVE the Evo...waiting for the Concept X to become reality
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 16:06   #11
BANNED

This is not exactly a new model but infact a facelifted one as GTO sir just said. The Grill is not to my tastes and looks like Citroen one.
BTW, the Monocoque body has taken the true spirit of 4X4 from this glorious machine of the past. There was a day when Pajeros were the sons of the wild and sand etc.. But it's no more counted like that.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 12:31   #12

I really like this car even though its just a facelift

klrd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 13:09   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

HM will always be HM. While the new facelifted Pajero has been launched worldwide, they have just launched the outgoing model in India. Why cant they think pro-active? Its anyways priced at 35 lacs...the facelifted one with its far better interiors and common-rail engine would have been much superior value.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote