Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 26th August 2016, 12:34   #1
Senior - BHPian
Default Singapore gets world's first self-driving taxi - nuTonomy

The World's first self-driving taxis have started running on the streets of Singapore. These taxis are being operated by an autonomous vehicle software start-up - nuTonomy. The service is currently being offered to select members of the public, only through invitation. Being a pilot project, customers are being offered free rides in the taxis, which can be booked through a Smartphone App.

nuTonomy claims to be aiming a full self-driving taxi fleet in Singapore by 2018. This, according to the company, would help in reducing the number of cars from 900,000 to 300,000 cars on Singapore roads.

Only six cars have been added to the fleet as of now, which the company hopes to increase to 12 by the end of this year. Currently, the taxi service is being operated in a business and residential district called 'One-North', which spans over an area of 2.5-square-mile. Moreover, pickup and drop-off locations are currently available only on specified spots.

The cars being used by the taxi service are modified versions of the Renault Zoe and Mitsubishi i-MiEV. Each car gets six sets of Lidar - a detection system that uses lasers to operate like radar, one of which is mounted on the roof that constantly spins to detect obstacles in the car's way. Additionally, two cameras mounted on the dashboard monitor traffic movement and traffic signal changes.

nuTonomy has beaten Uber to become the world's first self-driving taxi provider. Uber too will be starting self-driving taxi operations in Pittsburg in the coming weeks.

Source: Bloomberg

Singapore gets world's first self-driving taxi - nuTonomy-2016_nutonomy_singapore_trial_0108261378x984.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 26th August 2016 at 12:36.
dZired is online now   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 22:43   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
Default Re: Singapore gets world's first self-driving taxi - nuTonomy

I'm no fan of autonomous cars at all!

In any case, I believe autonomous cars would miserably flop in India - they can work only in countries where traffic rules are dutifully respected and where civilised road manners are prevalent.

However, I welcome initiatives like this one primarily because they popularise electric cars and put them to good use! I guess it should be a fair bit easier to create an autonomous all-electric vehicle than one that uses conventional automobile fuels. So it's only natural that start-up firms like nuTonomy would prefer all-electric cars like the Renault Zoe and Mitsubishi i-Miev for their autonomous fleet.

Even small developments like these that signal the start of preparation of coffins for conventional automobile fuels is highly praiseworthy!

Now, if only a company like Apple can quickly bring out a cool small(ish) mass-produced non-autonomous all-electric car, then it would hasten that momentous day in the history of humankind when smoke-emitting vehicles go the way of animal-drawn carriages.

Last edited by RSR : 27th August 2016 at 22:46.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote