Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 31st August 2016, 13:09   #1
BHPian

Default My tryst with Supercars: Driving the GT3, 458, Huracán & GT-R on track

So, this is a very very late post. And I regret to say, i'm no writer. So please forgive any discrepancies or bad writing. Also, i'd like to apologize for the lack of photos. I was too excited to take too many photos. Anyway, Here i go.

Last year my family and I, flew to the States to meet my brother. I was to stay for an additional 15 days, while my parents would fly back in 30. Knowing this, My brother had something really special planned.

We booked flights from San Jose to Austin, where i would get to drive a few Supercars on a track! No holds barred, No Safety nets, No limiters, No controls on the passenger side! Pure unadulterated supercar experience! We booked the 3 Car Package, which Included 3 laps in a Porsche 991 GT3, Ferrari 458 Italia and Lamborghini Huracan.

And so it was, We landed in Austin. Adrenaline coursing through my veins. Checked in and tried to sleep. How does one even sleep when they know they're going to be driving 3 supercars the next day?!

In all my excitement, i did not take any pictures.

But we arrived and the track and immediately you could here the wails of the 458s and Huracans present at the scene! From the Parking lot!! We couldn't contain ourselves! Who cares about the sweltering Austin summer heat!

We went to the Registration desk, registered and were taken into an A/C trailer for briefings.

Bands for the cars:

My tryst with Supercars: Driving the GT3, 458, Huracán & GT-R on track-img_6168.jpg

First question they asked was, who's traveled the farthest to be there today! Farthest in history was Jamaica. They were so shocked when i told them i was from India, they had to bring in the entire crew to show me of!!

So the briefing is done, we are told to follow the instructor's guidance since they don't have any safety nets here. Just that morning someone crashed on the cars on a bend.

This was the track i would be driving on:
Name:  DrivewayAustin2.png
Views: 3536
Size:  46.7 KB

The excitement was getting to me! I was rearing to go! Walked to the barricades and had to take these shots

My tryst with Supercars: Driving the GT3, 458, Huracán & GT-R on track-img_5947.jpg
My tryst with Supercars: Driving the GT3, 458, Huracán & GT-R on track-img_6005.jpg

Time to get in line. There are lines for the cars of course.

First up, Porsche 991 GT3. Now, you don't really get much time here. They just rush you through the line, put on a helmet and move you to the cars. FAST. I was unable to take any good shots. So i won't waste your time uploading that.

My tryst with Supercars: Driving the GT3, 458, Huracán & GT-R on track-img_6199.jpg

This car was a beast! So fast, so smooth, and completely in control! Turns in with such ease! Speed doesn't even affect it one bit! If you want a beginner's supercar, this is the one to get! The GT3 is one level above 911 Turbo S and truly, if you want a Porsche, this is the one to get!

We also booked the video package so all cars came with video. And guess what. My instructor accidentally turned off the video at the start! :Frustrate

So no 991 video for me! I complained to the management and they offered me an additional run in any car of my choosing for a discounted price. Heck! I was NOT going to say no to that!

So i told them, i'd take the Nissan GT-R for my final ride! Fantastic decision that was(More on that later)!

Next up was the Ferrari 458

My tryst with Supercars: Driving the GT3, 458, Huracán & GT-R on track-img_6208.jpg

Now this is another beast altogether! This experience was way different. This car is all about drama! From the moment you walk up to the car, to the seats, interior, the exhaust note! It's pure italian flair! Raucous and loud and In-Your-Face!

And when it came to the driving, you can immediately tell this beast has way more power! And they way it puts it down is different compared to the Porsche. It's more rushed, more in a hurry, More "You better know what you're doing when you floor the throttle!".

I'll let the video speak for itself.

Shot with the hosts

Next came the Huracan! Man, i love this car! This was, Hands-down, the easiest car to drive fast! That big, powerful, beauty of an engine, All-Wheel Drive And Carbon-Ceramic brakes! Wow! This thing is beautiful! This is just the mechanical part. I won't even get into the emotions this car evokes in the looks and feel department! This car is the best of both worlds! Italian flair mixed with German precision and Fit and Finish.

On a side note, My first experience with supercars, so it's funny when you bang your head (maybe it was because of the helmet on my head) on the car when trying to get in!

My tryst with Supercars: Driving the GT3, 458, Huracán & GT-R on track-img_6207.jpg

Now this car is absolutely lovely!! Absolutely stonking performance and the power is so easily available and so easy to handle! This is by far, the easiest Supercar i have ever driven! Not nearly as intimidating to drive as you'd expect. Not on a track anyway. We all know how it fares on the streets of Bhayender (I'm sure most of you will get the reference).

I'll let the video do the talking for this, as well.

Last, but definitely not the least, the Nissan GT-R! Oh the GT-R! What can i say about this car? All the praise in the world is not enough for this car! This is literally one of the most brilliant feats of engineering i have ever seen!! How they managed to make such a powerful V6! The sheer dynamism of the car! Handling is sublime!

Okay, so the interiors are drab and lack-luster with no flair! But man, does this thing go! Faster to a 100 than the 458 and the Huracan! You would never expect a car that looks the way it does (it sits tall, definitely much higher GC, long wheelbase) to handle and go with such impunity!

I have no regrets in saying, this was hands down, my favorite car in the lot! The most fun i've had! You can see the video for yourself.

Side note: Forgive me for the the number of times i say sorry to the instructor. Just the way i am.

Watch away. Tell me what you think!

It has been one of the most memorable moments of my life and i will cherish it for eternity!

I leave you with some random shots from the event!

Cheers.

My tryst with Supercars: Driving the GT3, 458, Huracán & GT-R on track-img_6201.jpg
My tryst with Supercars: Driving the GT3, 458, Huracán & GT-R on track-img_6187.jpg
My tryst with Supercars: Driving the GT3, 458, Huracán & GT-R on track-img_6205.jpg
My tryst with Supercars: Driving the GT3, 458, Huracán & GT-R on track-img_5946.jpg
My tryst with Supercars: Driving the GT3, 458, Huracán & GT-R on track-img_6229.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 31st August 2016 at 14:49. Reason: Image orientation
venom_op is offline   (30) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 10:47   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: My tryst with Supercars: Driving the GT3, 458, Huracán & GT-R on track

Lucky you! Lovely videos, thanks for sharing. You've summarised the character of the different cars very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
Next came the Huracan! Man, i love this car! This was, Hands-down, the easiest car to drive fast!
I felt the same after driving the R8. Mechanically, the two cars have a lot in common.

Quote:
I have no regrets in saying, this was hands down, my favorite car in the lot!
Really? Wow. That's a pat on the back to Nissan.

If you had to put your money on one, which would it be & why?
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 10:52   #3
BHPian

Default Re: My tryst with Supercars: Driving the GT3, 458, Huracán & GT-R on track

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Lucky you! Lovely videos, thanks for sharing. You've summarised the character of the different cars very well.

I felt the same after driving the R8. Mechanically, the two cars have a lot in common.
Yeah, the R8 is almost the same car. Engines are the same too, IIRC. Just in different states of tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Really? Wow. That's a pat on the back to Nissan.

If you had to put your money on one, which would it be & why?
Well, Obviously, i'd be happy with any one of them! But i'm a confused soul.

If i wanted to simply showboat and i could afford it, then i'd get the Huracan! It's easily the most evocative!

But in all sincerity, if it's my first time buying a Supercar, i'd start with the upcoming 2017 GT-R. Would work better on indian roads thanks to the higher GC, and they fixed my main gripe with the car i drove, the interior. Instantly feels more luxurious and still has the capability to shame a Huracan or 458 in a drag race!

Last edited by venom_op : 1st September 2016 at 10:54. Reason: Adding info
venom_op is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 23:32   #4
BHPian

Lucky you !

How much did this package cost you? What were the other options available?

How do they ascertain whether one would be handle these supercars?
vagabond128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 15:33   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond128 View Post
Lucky you !

How much did this package cost you? What were the other options available?

How do they ascertain whether one would be handle these supercars?

Hey Vagabond, I don't remember the exact cost. But I do remember it cost me no more than $1500 for all 4 with the video and photo package and insurance.

You can't tell. As soon as you strap in and start the drive, the instructor gets a feel of your abilities and then gives you instructions accordingly.

If you notice, I was asked to overtake cars ahead of me in several cases. Those drivers would be the ones who were asked to drive slower.

The other cars available at the time were the Gallardo 560-4 and the Audi R8. Although they've added a Corvette and Mclaren as well later.
venom_op is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote