Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 7th September 2016, 16:00   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Automotive brand names - Are we mispronouncing them?

Nice thread!

By the way, how many of us have heard people pronouncing Swift as Shift?
Car-go-man is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 16:23   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
German, French, Czech do not have a separate script and use the same letters of the English Alphabet.
They don't use English Alphabet, rather they have a common script; the Latin script. English also uses a subset of the Latin script.

Quote:
But for Indian brands, When we write a word from Indian language in English, we spell as per the sound the word makes. महिंद्रा is written as Mahindra. Hence there is very less scope for any mis-pronunciation. Same holds good for other brand names from languages which have a different script
Even though one writes an India name in English, a foreigner who is not familiar with the Indian sounds cannot pronounce it correctly. Many foreigners pronounce Maruti as Maru-ti (a very short Maru) and Mahindra as Maa-hindra (a short hindra as in hindrance) and not Mahindraa as you have written in Hindi. We feel that it's easy because we are used to English from childhood.

Quote:
This problem is faced when I go to Kerala or Tamilnadu. there are places like Alappuzzha and Kozhikode. When I was young, I used to read it as al-a-poo-za and ko-zee-code. But now I know that it is pronounced in a totally different way!
This is exactly what I told above. A person not familiar with the 'zha' sound in Malayalam will always try to pronounce it as 'za'.
When I was in Germany, I had a colleague (Jean) who was French. After a visit to Paris, he asked us whether we visited momach (Montmartre) and we were clueless. That is French pronunciation.
For example, the pronunciation of Renault is not as simple as Ray-no, like many people mentioned. That R is a sound you make by rolling your tongue inside your mouth like 'Hrrr'. Any form of writing cannot convey the exact way it is pronounced.

Last edited by A350XWB : 7th September 2016 at 16:24.
A350XWB is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 17:05   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
They don't use English Alphabet, rather they have a common script; the Latin script. English also uses a subset of the Latin script.
Correct. I wrote English for ease of explaining. Intent was to tell that a single script but different pronunciation gives way forconfusions

Quote:
Even though one writes an India name in English, a foreigner who is not familiar with the Indian sounds cannot pronounce it correctly. Many foreigners pronounce Maruti as Maru-ti (a very short Maru) and Mahindra as Maa-hindra (a short hindra as in hindrance) and not Mahindraa as you have written in Hindi. We feel that it's easy because we are used to English from childhood.
True, That's why I wrote it gives "less" scope (and not "no" scope) for wrong pronunciation

Quote:
This is exactly what I told above. A person not familiar with the 'zha' sound in Malayalam will always try to pronounce it as 'za'.
Thanks, this is what I said. That's why people don't pronounce Volkswagen Renault correctly because they just aren't familiar with German, French sounds!
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 17:40   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_DTSi View Post
I honestly do not see what's the big deal in this.
You might as well call us a bunch of anankastic clods but the mere utterance of marque itself brings us euphoria!

Quote:
Enthusiasm is usually for the car, not for the native language of the region where the brand emerged.
Speaking of enthusiasm, the feeling is widely variable my friend and I reckon everyone has got their own perspective of it.

Quote:
As Shakespeare said, "What's in a name?"..
I'd say "The name says it all !"
Pferdestarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 18:30   #35
BHPian

Nice informative thread. I had a friend who once told me about his neighbour's "merkedes bench" car. He wasn't that much of an auto nut either. Another friend belonging to the fairer sex once quite innocently was complaining about her landlord's hyundai 'aiaiyo' car blocking her doorway. Had to probe further to realise that she was telling about an i10.
One recent info for me was that 'bimmer' is the slang for a bmw car, where as 'beamer' or 'beemer' stood for the bikes. 'Mitsubishi' is a tongue twister for many of the mallu land.

Last edited by crdi : 7th September 2016 at 18:34.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 21:13   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
What about our desi manufacturers? Maruti becomes Marudee in many southern regions.
And MRUTTEEE in Da Punjab/ Dhaahlee regions!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 21:32   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Would like to know how the French and the Spaniards pronounce 'Mercedes'.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 7th September 2016 at 21:36.
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 08:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, this is what I said. That's why people don't pronounce Volkswagen Renault correctly because they just aren't familiar with German, French sounds!
exactly.
Some particular sounds come naturally only to the native speakers (99% of the time). Even in India, just imagine how differently we speak English. Most of the time, we can even identify which part of India are we from, just by hearing our English accent, as some snippets of our native language filters through even when we speak a common language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Would like to know how the French and the Spaniards pronounce 'Mercedes'.
Also add Italian to that list. Their 'c' is usually a ch (as in chacha). Milan Central becomes Milano Chentrale etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
'Mitsubishi' is a tongue twister for many of the mallu land.
Tell me about it. I'm from Kerala and lot of my friends used to pronounce Mit-subishi as Mis-tubishi. Being an ardent fan of vehicles from my childhood, I had a hard time arguing with my friends, trying to correct them. Another classic is Chev-ro-let, almost always pronounced as Che-vor-let. Lot of people also pronounce Toyota as Toyoto.

Last edited by A350XWB : 8th September 2016 at 08:52. Reason: Added quoted post.
A350XWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 11:00   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-go-man View Post
Nice thread!

By the way, how many of us have heard people pronouncing Swift as Shift?
And I have heard many say "Sift" is from "Maarooti Jujuki". Also picked up from cabbies the subtle difference between "OwnDaai" and "UnnDaai".
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 14:09   #40
BHPian

I don't know if I can recollect it correctly, but most of the overseas brand came up with an Indian pronunciation (in their promotion campaigns) initially. Off late, it has become a marketing trend to use their native (correct) pronunciation in commercials. Reason I say so is, I remember hearing volkswagen and not folks-va-gun, Fiat and not Fi-aa-t, Skoda and not Shh-ko-da. They do sound catchy, don't they ?
Moto_Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 15:02   #41
BHPian

Informative article
Things do get pretty interesting sometimes. Since we Indians are taught British English in schools but grow up watching American movies and shows, I see a lot of people jumping from one accent to another (Tuesday becomes : Chyoosday or Teews-day).

I usually refer to British Car shows to get the appropriate pronunciation of car names (mostly Jeremy Clarkson, who says 'Volkswaagan' and not 'Folkswagen' by they way)

My dad calls 'Zen' a 'zhen' (going heavy on 'Zee') I corrected him initially but then found that in marathi, there is no soft 'z, so in a way he was correct
NiInJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 16:13   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Back in 87' I was taught in Germany by a Dutch guy how to pronounce the French car name "Renault" and it sounded "Raa-Nu". It is not Re but Raa with second 'a' half. May be a French guy would be able to say it right.!
Not really. I have a Belgian batchmate by the surname Luypaert, and I have never been able to pronounce it correctly, to his satisfaction even though we were hall mates for almost three years, and I really tried hard. Even today I am unable to do it correctly, so use his nickname only.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 16:18   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Not really. I have a Belgian batchmate by the surname Luypaert, and I have never been able to pronounce it correctly, to his satisfaction even though we were hall mates for almost three years, and I really tried hard. Even today I am unable to do it correctly, so use his nickname only.
French pronunciation is ridiculous. That "uh" in front of the Renault (in the video) is inexplicable. Even what we Indians think is correct French pronunciation is nowhere close to what they speak like! Simple terms like "merci", "d'accord", "sil vous plait" sound very different when we use them, but the French don't really try and correct us so we go on mispronouncing them. Sort of like how we smile and waggle our heads when a Westerner says "Naah-maast-hey" with a beaming face, I guess

Edit: Just realized that Luypaert is probably Walloon/Dutch so my rant was entirely misplaced. Oh well, c'est la vie!

Last edited by noopster : 8th September 2016 at 16:21.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 21:15   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Also add Italian to that list. Their 'c' is usually a ch (as in chacha). Milan Central becomes Milano Chentrale etc.
Reason for asking was that I feel there are more babies named Mercedes in France and Spain (and Latin America).
It was after all the Jellineks daughters name. And the name has Spanish origins.

Quote:

In English J says Jey as in Jump
In German J (yot) says ya as in Yak
And don't forget J=H in Spanish.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2016, 06:39   #45
Senior - BHPian

And in Spanish sometimes C is 'th' pronounced with a bite of tongue with lot of air push. So Mercedes is "Mer-th-edes".
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote