Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 16th October 2006, 14:49   #31
BHPian

I somehow prefer the old one.Have a look at these :-

The new one,though good looking,has too much happening in terms of design.I prefer the simple and elegant lines of the old one.

I've posted good quality wallpapers by the way,they make your desktop look nice
roms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 02:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

ok some more pics.enjoy!

merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 05:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

Does this also come with mindnumbing torque and Porsche-humbling prices?
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 19:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Does this also come with mindnumbing torque and Porsche-humbling prices?
no....not a chance...there are things porsche doesnt do as well as this one does, but then there are most things porsche does that this thing cant dream of..

price is not even a comparison, this thig would cost as much as a turbo and turbo would trounce it in any category..

This thing is growing on me very quickly, even though last gen CL was my fav, this thing might not get to that status ever..but it sure has presence...i have gotten acustomed to almost everything in this car except the bloody back, that is a disaster, they should have kept it like the S, as they did in the last gen, a huge huge mistake which wouldnt cost them anything..ppl would still buy..

Last edited by 1Day : 25th October 2006 at 19:37.
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 01:07   #35
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day
... there are things porsche doesnt do as well as this one does, but then there are most things porsche does that this thing cant dream of ...
The Porsche you're speaking of, I presume, is either a Boxter or a 911 variant, either of which is a sports car.

The Mercedes CL series is a grand tourer, so a comparision between the two would not be apt.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 01:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
The Porsche you're speaking of, I presume, is either a Boxter or a 911 variant, either of which is a sports car.

The Mercedes CL series is a grand tourer, so a comparision between the two would not be apt.
Actually Elf you're wrong the Porsche he speaks of is the grand-daddy of them all the 911 Turbo which will trounce the CL in most departments, Grand Touring included.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 19:37   #37
Senior - BHPian

ok one more.its not a CL63 though its a CL600

Last edited by merve_extreme : 26th October 2006 at 19:51.
Old 26th October 2006, 20:05   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

you cant compare a Merc and a Porsche guys !!

It just isnt right.....

The 911 turbo is a sports car...this is a luxury high speed express for rich people :P
Nikhilb2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 20:26   #39
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008
... The 911 turbo is a sports car...this is a luxury high speed express for rich people ...
My thoughts exactly, nikhilb2008. I love them both, but they're two different things for two different purposes. And they both bring tears to my eyes...
Old 26th October 2006, 21:43   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008
you cant compare a Merc and a Porsche guys !!

It just isnt right.....

The 911 turbo is a sports car...this is a luxury high speed express for rich people :P
I am sorry you need to look @ porsche's offering Turbo is considered a sports GT, so is the CL63 a sports GT, the Luxo GT in Merc is the CL600, even though there is hardly any diff in the 2..

The sports car from porsche is 911 GT3 and GT2 lineup..
Old 26th October 2006, 21:59   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day
The sports car from porsche is 911 GT3 and GT2 lineup..
those, in my opinion, are considered track cars. the rest of porsches are everyday supercars, fulfilling multiple duties.
mercedes doesnt really have a sports car. the slk and the clk are probably the sportiest cars in their lineup.
heelntoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2006, 01:59   #42
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelntoe
... those, in my opinion, are considered track cars. the rest of porsches are everyday supercars, fulfilling multiple duties ...
As heelntoe said, Porsche / others may call their GT3 a Grand Tourer, but it's intended purpose is entirely different from that of a CL.

The Mercedes CL series has always been a gentleman's express, with elegance, refinement, road presence, space & sufficient power to steamroll any boy racers that cross it's path. The power reserve is there for the driver's pleasure, not to win any silly stoplight derbies.

It's peers would include the Bentley Continental GT & the Ferrari 612 Scaglietti. Maybe even the M6.

All of which I'd dearly love to posess. Preferably together.
Old 27th October 2006, 04:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelntoe
those, in my opinion, are considered track cars. the rest of porsches are everyday supercars, fulfilling multiple duties.
mercedes doesnt really have a sports car. the slk and the clk are probably the sportiest cars in their lineup.
Again thats not right..their track day cars are GT3 RS and some GT3 RSR(which i guess they sell in a real low number), these are track cars, GT3 and GT2 are sports cars and Turbo is considered a Grand Tourer...
Old 1st November 2006, 21:24   #44
Senior - BHPian

got 2 more pics

and as far as comparison to Porsche goes,Mercedes has a completely different philosophy to that of Porsche.Mercedes give importance to luxury more than to outright handling.hence even if the CL63 is a performance Merc its outright performance is compromised by the Mercedes philosophy.

The CL is never going to be a track car and its performance and handling are better than what any of their owners are capable of.If you want performance focused Mercedes cars the CLK DTM,CLK Black series(comming soon),SLK black series and maybe the SLR are the cars to have.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 1st November 2006 at 21:32.
Old 1st November 2006, 21:30   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

that car looks right at home with all those private yatches :P
Nikhilb2008 is online now   Reply With Quote