Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 11th September 2016, 20:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Cars & Coffee in the Netherlands

Yesterday I attended a nice event here in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

Its organised by Autovisie, a Dutch Car Magazine, part of the Telegraaf media group.

The formulae is very simple. You show up with you car, park, walk around, have some complimentary coffee and after a few hours everybody leaves again.

When we lived in the USA there where lots of these sort of events. On Sunday mornings or Friday evening people would just gather at a known parking place.
Very informal, you can bring any car,

All in Dutch I’m afraid, but it will give a good impression on this event and you will see quite an eclectic progression of cars!

Click on the link and click on the video:

http://carsandcoffee.nl

Jeroen

Last edited by GTO : 12th September 2016 at 15:22. Reason: Embedding video :)
Jeroen is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2016, 21:58   #2
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default re: Cars & Coffee in the Netherlands

Simple enough. Nice way to hangout with like minded people.

Though team bhp meet ups are quite similar. Except we go on Sunday long drives!
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2016, 22:44   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Cars & Coffee in the Netherlands

Nothing on Wikipedia, but found this -
https://carsandcoffee.com/

Who organizes these events? Who pays for the complimentary coffee?

I first read about it on Jalopnik.com long time back, and I actually thought "Cars and Coffee" was some kind of restaurant.
smartcat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 00:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Default Cars and Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Nothing on Wikipedia, but found this -
https://carsandcoffee.com/

Who organizes these events? Who pays for the complimentary coffee?

I first read about it on Jalopnik.com long time back, and I actually thought "Cars and Coffee" was some kind of restaurant.

Not sure its the same organization other then they use the same name.
It's organized by the Dutch car magazine Autovisie. Not sure about the coffee. I assume the magazine. There were only two commercial market stalls, one selling some clothes, the other a chips shop.

Maybe Autovisie has some sponsors, but i did not see anything that suggest so.
They promote their own magazine, you can sign up for their magazine, some special deals. Autovisie is part of the media Group Telegraaf. De Telegraaf is also the largest news paper in the Netherlands. This parking lot is actually part of the Telegraaf printing and logistic facility.

The highway patrol had one of their cars displayed as well. Volvo v70. I had a nice little chat with the patrol man and was allowed to sit in it. Its a completely standard Volvo. But crammed full of electronic gadgets. They have online access to several databases. They also have a license plate scanner that automatically scans all plates. You haven't paid your fines, or there is a court order for you, it will alert them automatically.

A few years ago, whilst living in Delhi, I was visiting our home in the Netherlands. We always had a little Fiesta registered in my wife's name ready for use.
One morning I drove around our village and a cop car shows up behind me and they pulled me over. They told me the car was registered to someone who lived abroad. So I explained, they checked the car papers and my license and I was allowed to drive on. Afterwards, I wondered how they knew. Now I know.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 12th September 2016 at 00:23.
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote