Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 17th September 2016, 00:56   #1
Default The Smiling Car concept : An aide for Autonomous Driving

First it was all-electric vehicles that were all the rage, the current craze is for self-driving or autonomous driving cars, with the first fleet of autonomous UBER cabs going on trial in Pittsburgh. While the concept still scares me due to the safety factor, progress is being made rapidly on this front to make autonomous driving a regular, uneventful journey day after day.

Tech firm Semcon Global has now come up with an innovative idea for pedestrians to know if its safe to cross or not when they are looking at how the self-driving car will respond to their blocking the path when crossing - LED's, a grille full of them. You see when a driver is driving the car as has been the norm since the stone ages of 1900's, the pedestrians have been habituated to looking at the driver and seeking a response to whether they can cross or not, in some countries such as ours, they simply begin to walk nonchalantly fully knowing that we'd stop as we have our eyes on the road all the time, however an autonomously driving vehicle will introduce many firsts - the "driver" dozing off at the wheel, or in an engrossing conversation or simply playing mobile games while at the drivers seat, how then do pedestrians gauge if the vehicle can yield to their presence or not? Like this :

Its simply technology, an LED array spread across the grille which will make a straight face when driving or when not able to give way, and will spread into a wide smile when its ready to stop and give way for the crossers of the street. I guess the indicators will be attached to the radar detectors and cameras in front and when it can stop safely the LED's are programmed to get arranged into a smiley-shape. Amusing yet so very imaginative.

I'm not one for too much technology though, I've always felt that electronics bog down a car enough even in normal manual shift cars of today but a combination of a heavy reliability on electronics, software, camera and proximity sensors will give me sleepless nights.. all it takes is one failure or one incident of error for the car to start making mistakes, not to mention its vulnerability to being hacked as well. Nevertheless, all I can say is that the future is here and is time for everyone (other than me) to jump on the wagon and sleep, literally!

Source :http://www.autoblog.com/2016/09/16/t...t-pedestrians/
dark.knight is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 16:07   #2
Team-BHP Support
Default Re: The Smiling Car concept : An aide for Autonomous Driving

Great idea, but needs better execution. This smile would single-handedly make all cars U-G-L-Y. Am sure there's a better way. Say, a bright green light right where the IRVM is mounted?

Can you even imagine what this monster would look like with a smiling LED? Using Mercedes as the company claims it already has self-driving tech ready to roll:
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 16:23   #3
Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Default Re: The Smiling Car concept : An aide for Autonomous Driving

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 20th September 2016 at 12:11.
manojraja is offline   Reply With Quote