Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 5th October 2016, 22:41   #1
BHPian

Default Scrapping excess inventory of cars - The BMW way

Ever wondered what happens to excess or obsolete inventory (E&O)? Well, I guess this is how its managed, by scrapping it!

Its a sad scene to see some factory baked models going through the scrapping process! Came across a detailed video that clearly shows what happens units that never get sold!

vinair is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 23:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Scrapping excess inventory of cars - The BMW way

In India, they'd have been cannibalized for spares.

All that industrial energy spent manufacturing it, and now even more spent breaking it down for recycling it.

Eh, I prefer our approach. It helps when we have a cheap labour pool.

EDIT: Not sure this belongs in the 'Shifting Gears' sub-forum when it most definitely is about cars.

Last edited by arunphilip : 5th October 2016 at 23:01.
arunphilip is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 23:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

It's so bad & painful to see, cars getting crushed like this. But are we sure these are excess inventories and not some test cars? Why won't they sell these at cheaper rates? This video and cars look from early 2000 era, do they still do similarly.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 07:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

What a terrible waste.

They ought to offer these cars at cut rates to developing economies or sell them off in their own countries at phenomenal discounts. OR sell them to "used car dealers" as an "old stock-brand new" program or similar.

Saying that, I guess their economic considerations are different. If they sell them to developing economies they will be accused of dumping.

And if they sell at cut rates, then they will destroy their "brand mystique".

To me, it seems a terribly wicked, criminal waste.

Frankly most of these cars will be far ahead in terms of features and emissions and all the rest of it, when compared to the present day crop of "brand new" cars being sold in the developing economies. That alone, should make governments like ours, think a bit along with these manufacturers.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 14:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Scrapping excess inventory of cars - The BMW way

All those green house gases generated and contributed to the global warming, while manufacturing these cars, all in vain. No one used these cars.

These are scrapped, and now they will again go through the same manufacturing process producing more green house gases.

There are some company/government policies that don't make any sense, neither social, nor environmental and neither financial. This is one such mind numbing policy.
vinit.merchant is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 10:40   #6
Team-BHP Support

If I am correct, these are pre-production cars used for testing / homologation/ assessing modifications. They do not always meet the final release specs.

The "factory seconds sale" does not cut it considering litigations, brand value etc. Jaguar do the same. I remember seeing a pristine XKR being destroyed like this.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 10:51   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
If I am correct, these are pre-production cars used for testing / homologation/ assessing modifications. They do not always meet the final release specs.
YES, i agree to ajmat.

For example the Fortuner prototype which was seen running around KA;

Scrapping excess inventory of cars - The BMW way-img_7826.jpg

^ Such cars are called " Goshi " vehicles (Toyota terminology). As these being pre-production prototypes but very close to showroom standard are prohibited to being driven in public.

The above is only used for test purpose till the car is launched & in the future will be scrapped or may be broken apart to see how the parts/components had performed in other ageing related tests.

Last edited by karan561 : 7th October 2016 at 11:12.
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 11:07   #8
BHPian

Quote:
That is correct. I used to work for a German company in Stuttgart where we worked on the ECU. It would be crazy to sell these cars that are used for field testing. These are companies working to make a profit, they do this for many reasons including legal issues. It would be impossible to prove that all parts of the car did not have any long term impact because of all the tests that are done during field testing.

Field testing of these cars (including italian exotics) was my dream job. When I got to know even those cars are crushed, video recorded, and sent to manufacturer as proof, it was beyond heart breaking. Especially, for a new grad from India.
prasadee is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 11:09   #9
BHPian

What a criminal waste of energy! We for sure are the most greedy ever on this planet!
Them having a proper set up / machining etc indicate that this is not a one time affair.

I dont these cars were ever used (look at the engine oil drain.. so clean!).

These would qualify as better cars than what is sold in most developed countries. The should probably create a low value brand and sell with a rebadge perhaps.

We do all these and worry about climate change, what an irony!
babu.sundaram is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 11:23   #10
BHPian

What arrogance.
Really just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to why West pollutes our planet the most. And they blame us developing nations for it. Pity!
WindRide is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 13:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
YES, i agree to ajmat.

For example the Fortuner prototype which was seen running around KA;

The above is only used for test purpose till the car is launched & in the future will be scrapped or may be broken apart to see how the parts/components had performed in other ageing related tests.
Agree with the pre-production cars theory, but in the video, if you look closely, the Engine oil was the same color as new.
Interiors were spic and span.
Field testing vehicles are attached with lot of monitoring equipment & hence one will not find a lot of standard fitments in test mules. That was not the case in the cars being crushed in that video.
Moreover, one look at the engine bay and also the underneath of the car and it is easy to gauge that these cars were not used at all.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 07:58   #12
BHPian

I guess , as most people said , it might be the test mules or maybe they can't sell it because they don't comply to the latest emission rules ?
The Brutailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 10:54   #13
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 10th October 2016 at 11:26.
navin_bhp is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 19th November 2016, 00:22   #14
BHPian

http://www.bmw-welt.com/en/visitor_i...smantling.html

Here you go. This will shed some additional light on the topic. That's BMW Recycling Centre, Lohhof. A must visit if you are in Munich.

These are HEA cars, pre production units that are not authorised to be sold. Plus, cars destined to be scrapped post homologation etc.

The centre targets to prove that 83% + of a BMW is recycled plus a lot more trivia behind it.
BeamerBoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote