Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

View Poll Results: Should electric and hybrid vehicles produce an artificial noise as mandated by the NHTSA?
Yes 66 43.14%
No 81 52.94%
Don't know/can't say 6 3.92%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th November 2016, 19:05   #31
BHPian

Default Re: *EVs, Make Some Noise!* | NHTSA sets 'Quiet Car' safety standards from 2019

Voted No.

EV's should have a device that would turn off the surrounding Cell phones so that pedestrians will look at the traffic than smarter than them phones.
SanScorpio is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 10:57   #32
BHPian

Default Re: *EVs, Make Some Noise!* | NHTSA sets 'Quiet Car' safety standards from 2019

Voted NO

My reasons for this are the same as most above. I feel this is like building good roads and then putting speed breakers for 'safety'!! What nonsense. I have seen too many accidents on speed breakers - so I call them 'car breakers'!

In fact (going slightly OT), I feel that horns should be banned! I am sure it will be a problem for some time, but eventually it will be best! (Just my personal opinion - please do not take offense!)

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 16:21   #33
BHPian

I don't know and voted as such. A little noise is preferred to get the attention of the road users towards the vehicle (The first time a Volvo bus overtook me, gave me the shock of my life as I did not 'hear' the bus)however, wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of having a 0 pollution car?

How about another topic/poll, if not covered already in the forum. How to make pedestrians more visible? How do we as pedestrians manage without getting run over.
dass is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 11:36   #34
BHPian

Voted NO.
That would be like saying "concrete houses should also leak but only a little bit", just like thatched houses.
This is a chance to reduce noise pollution, if you ask me we should also get rid of horns.
For people saying that there should be "low sound', 'nothing too harsh"; everything becomes exponentially annoying when it's multiplied by ten thousand or more.

People will get used to looking before crossing, even now with all the noise we have people with headphones or ones focussed on "whatsapping" walking into traffic.

Last edited by jaygeetee : 30th November 2016 at 11:37. Reason: removed "idiots"
jaygeetee is offline   Reply With Quote