Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 25th November 2016, 15:50   #1
psn
BHPian

Default Phew! Porsche will NOT sell driverless cars

Article Source

Quote:
Oliver Blume, CEO, Porsche, told Autocar UK, "When you buy a Porsche, you will drive it yourself, full stop. At the moment we do not think about a full version of robotic driving, we are thinking about features to combine with the real Porsche genes, so at the end you still have a real Porsche."
The German car maker recently made it known that it is not planning to introduce completely autonomous car.

When I read the article, all I could think of was Thank God!!

Imagine, if Autonomous cars, which is actually just round the corner, happen, several iconic brands which will have no place in the market or have no relevance if autonomous cars becomes a way of life for us in the future.

Will companies like Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Mini, BMW, go into pages of history? Will a Porsche 911 compete with a Mercedes SLC? As all they will have to compete with, is the the comfort with which they transport the owner from Point A to Point B?

Will a Ferrari up its luxury quotient and go hell for leather after a RR Dawn?

Add to it the news that Germany will ban all petrol and diesel engines, which means the exhaust notes of the engines will also be going?

Are we auto enthusiasts about to enter the worst phase of our motoring lives?

Last edited by GTO : 26th November 2016 at 00:47. Reason: Adding source
psn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 12:20   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Phew! Porsche will NOT sell driverless cars

Sports cars are purpose-built machines meant to deliver only one thing = driving pleasure. Even the Ferrari boss had said it's absurd to even think of a driverless Ferrari ever being offered.

In another interview, Sergio Marchionne said 'you'll have to shoot me first' when asked if Ferrari will ever build a driverless car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psn View Post
Are we auto enthusiasts about to enter the worst phase of our motoring lives?
Unfortunately yes. Hydraulic steerings are going out, as are manual transmissions & big powerful engines. Complex electronics devoid of feel are replacing simple mechanical items.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 13:52   #3
psn
BHPian

Default Re: Phew! Porsche will NOT sell driverless cars

I guess purists are there who are hoping that the industry doesn't get ruined my our obsession with technology and automation and a fine balance is maintained.

An article by Siddharth Vinayak Patankar makes for an interesting read in this scenario.
http://www.autox.in/opinion/siddhart...ving-pleasure/

Where technology is concerned, this is my hope. I am basing my opinion on the trends that I see.
For eg: EPS: with time, I have felt that the tuning and feel has started to mimic the feel of a hydraulic. Eg being, a BMW X1 or a BMW 1 series. I have driven them, so can comment on. If the manufacturers go in this direction, this feel might start coming into our cheaper everyday cars also. That'll be a good marriage.

Point about manual: Yes, manual gear boxes are being missed. I have a die-cast metal Porsche GT3 Rs 4.0 and while doing research on the car, I came across the following video.

This is about a person in US and he is teaching his friend how to drive a manual, GT3 RS 4.0. Upon watching it, you realize that we take manuals as a standard way of driving, however, it is such an alien concept in US.

I myself have a story to share on Automatics: In Malaysia, a car rental company, asked me if I was ok with driving a manual and he was surprised to see the surprised look on my face. I couldn't utter a single word and had an expression which said, what sort of a vulgar question is this? I took the Automatic, as I had never driven an Autobox before, and they were taking longer to arrange for a manual.

I have 2 cars in my garage. 1) Skoda Fabia 1.6 manual and 2) Chevy Cruze LTZ automatic.

I think I should really start to preserve the Skoda, for my at now 3 year old son to learn on. For god knows, in 15 years time, India will, also be showing the next generation, this is what a manual gear box looked like and a bunch of teenagers giggling away at their father and asking their father, Eww!! dad how could you?

For all we know, manuals may come at a premium?
psn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote