Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 21st January 2017, 11:22   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Tesla: Zero cellular network means owner can't start the car!

Reading this reminds me of a line from a popular BBC sci Fi show Black Mirror that says-"Future(Overdependence on Technology) can be Dystopian!"
Somethings are better left the way they are, oldschool and mechanical.
No amount of electronics and technology could ever replace the reliability and robustness of a physical key and ignition mechanism.
Hope the automobile industry take cues from the incident and still provide the option of a key-ignition method.
Skyline_GT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 12:28   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I agree.

When the cell phone and car are just feet away, its ridiculous to expect them to use a cellular tower that's possibly miles away.

The cell phone is paired to the car via Bluetooth - why not use that as a fall-back mode to initiate the unlock? Bluetooth is designed for devices within a personal radius so is the ideal technology to use. Or if you want even closer distances to unlock, use NFC.

And even then, owners have to have a backup plan in mind - what if the phone's battery is drained, the phone damaged or lost. The answer is the same as the advice given for long journeys - carry the spare along, either in a hip pouch (travelling solo) or with another passenger.

That said, I can't sympathize much with the driver - if you want to use fancy new technology, its best to understand the limitations of said technology (RTFM) before blindly jumping onto the bandwagon.

This is as bad the people who decide to use GPS to navigate through a forest without any discussion with the forest ranger to get human intelligence, and end up on some tiny logging road that their low-clearance car cannot navigate.

But hey, this is tort-friendly US - there's a reasonable chance Tesla will have to pay some settlement for the driver being the nut between the steering and seat.

Well, you penned down my exact thoughts. Over dependency on technology goes with same caution as we have it in India like
"Invests are subject matter of blah blah blah .." 😃

App based keyless entry should be treated as a back up plan and not at first place as a replacement of key start.
nit787 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 13:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_GT View Post
Hope the automobile industry take cues from the incident and still provide the option of a key-ignition method.
Well, definitely there is an FOB ignition option (works on Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) technology) available on all Tesla cars. The mobile app based ignition is ONLY a back-up that is ideal to be used in case if you have forgotten or lost the keys. It is certainly not a feature one would use routinely, but if someone doesn't wants to carry the FOB, they can use the app based ignition method.

I guess the title of this thread is misleading as it says - 'the car cannot be started if there is no network coverage' which is not true as the car can always be started with the FOB.

Last edited by cbatrody : 24th January 2017 at 13:37. Reason: edit
cbatrody is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 01:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

My el-cheapo Redmi Note 3 has an infra red blaster. It can be programmed for use in many household equipments, I'm using it for my TV, Tata Sky, Hathway etc

Put one IR receiver in front of the car, problem solved! No? There was a member here who put up a project how he made car keys for his cars RFID tag, so it minimalises chances of being locked out. Try that setup, simple.
GrammarNazi is online now   Reply With Quote