Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 2nd February 2017, 22:30   #1
BHPian

Exclamation Euro NCAP releases a stunning video to commemorate 20 years of operations

Many buyers in India, don't consider Airbags to be vital. They think, if they are meant to be protected, they will be. That deity on the dashboard is enough. Thankfully Government has woken up and is taking steps towards that, by making stuff like Airbags mandatory.

Many of us, once we know that Airbags are there, blindly think that is enough, without considering the structure (please note, this is not build quality). Euro NCAP infact pointed it out in models like Kwid by giving them 0 stars.

Below video comparing 2 cars across 20 years shows a stunning comparison, of how much change has bee brought about in 20 years, and how impact a structure can have despite having airbags. Something to think about. I will let the video do all the proverbial talking

autorahul is offline   (21) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 07:41   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Euro NCAP releases a stunning video to commemorate 20 years of operations

I love NCAP! Max Mosley and his team is doing stellar work to improve the cars around us.

Though, I cant help but think this is a sensationalist video. A 1997 Rover doesn't have any chance against an offset barrier. When NCAP debuted the offset crash in addition to the full frontal crash, many modern cars with good safety rating failed that test. And that Rover is really 20 years old now! Which would have made its poor structure severely weak by now.

Maybe sensationalism is what is required in today' world to bring home the message about safety. I hope NCAP team get the resources to find and crash as many Indian cars as possible.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 08:53   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Euro NCAP releases a stunning video to commemorate 20 years of operations

Sadly, we know for a fact that 2017 Kwid will crumple exactly like 1997 Rover 100 in these tests.

Ironically, nobody is sure if made-in-India 2017 Honda Jazz will crumple exactly like the Jazz shown in the above video.
smartcat is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 08:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

In case NCAP lost their 1997 footage, they could have got that footage with many 2017 cars sold in India. This video reminds me that we have a long way to go, not just in terms of safer cars but safer driving and safer roads.

EDIT: @smartcat: you beat me to it

Last edited by androdev : 3rd February 2017 at 08:56.
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 18:11   #5
BHPian

Honda needs to be appreciated if the Jazz shown in the video is similar in structural strength to those currently sold in India. However, I am not very optimistic on this considering the fact that many manufactures bring in a weaker body shell to India compared to international markets.
Kiterunner is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 22:05   #6
BHPian

Just shows how much our country is lagging behind in these developments. What meets the eye: Many cars sold today are the same in the EU, with a few regions specific changes.
What doesn't: There are some structural differences in some popular models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
made-in-India 2017 Honda Jazz will crumple exactly like the Jazz shown in the above video.
We've debated the Indian Jazz in another thread. I have a hunch that the body shell would be the same, but wouldn't bet on anything.

I can understand why they're not conducting tests for all cars if there's a lot of time and resources involved in testing and publishing the reports for a car. If this is the case, it's obvious that the Jazz won't be tested. It could also explain why they pick most of their models from:

a. Indian Manufacturers (Tata, Mahindra)
b. Big Volume Manufacturers and Immensely popular cars by segment (MSIL, Hyundai)
c. Lowest models from big Manufacturers (VW Polo, Toyota Liva, Ford Figo)

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 3rd February 2017 at 22:06.
landcruiser123 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote