Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 16th February 2017, 07:05   #1
BHPian

Default Carl Reese's attempt to ride 2023 miles in 24 hours (on a closed track)!

Carl Reese is attempting a new world record - riding 2023 miles in 24 hours. on February 25th.

Now, he is not doing it on the road - it will be on a closed loop Indy style track. However, it will be a continuous 24 hours - no breaks. He will, in fact, have stuff like catheters to help him not have any need to get off the bike.

Now, my question is, what do YOU feel about these kinds of attempts?

Is it a triumph of the human spirit, or is it a person's desperate quest to get the proverbial 15 minutes of fame?

I find the effort something beyond even my conception but pointless, in the end.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th February 2017 at 15:09. Reason: Typo (hours instead of miles) :)
sridhu is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 08:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Carl Reese's attempt to ride 2023 miles in 24 hours (on a closed track)!

Yes, as pointless as someone who is having an iPhone 6S and has got another iPhone 7.

TSD will always be frowned upon, but at least here, it is being attempted at a close circuit, so lets see how it pans out. I am sure the guy has done his homework.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 08:53   #3
BHPian

Default re: Carl Reese's attempt to ride 2023 miles in 24 hours (on a closed track)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
...I find the effort something beyond even my conception but pointless, in the end.
The human desire to do something that hasn't been done before is perhaps the reason humankind has progressed this far, and is the only reason why it will progress further. Whether it be going to the moon or inventing the phone or running the four minute mile.

In the automobile world endurance runs have always been used to progress technology, building better engines, better features, time saving devices which eventually turn up as features in production cars.

So possibly not completely pointless.
varunsangal is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 09:43   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Now, my question is, what do YOU feel about these kinds of attempts?

Is it a triumph of the human spirit, or is it a person's desperate quest to get the proverbial 15 minutes of fame?
In my view, this is a psychological question.

In library science, there are few laws
1. Every Reader, His Book
2. Every Book, His reader

This is similar to the above law. it is "Every Person, His madness"

Psychologically speaking, for everyone, there is something called lawful and beyond it, it is madness.

Example: For any driver, if his normal max speed limit at which he drives is, say, 80 Kmph, then, for him, anything beyond 80 Kmph is madness.

Another example: For anyone, if his budget to buy a car is say INR 10 Lakhs, then, any car which is beyond INR 10 Lakhs, he would say, NOT a value for money car, expensive car etc

So, coming to this case, (I am being honest here and again, it is my psychology), If I read anyone driving a bike beyond 100 Kms, I personally feel it is madness(No offense to anyone please).

But, anyone who thinks "I CAN DO IT" will pick up the challenge and achieve it.

My Conclusion: Nothing Wrong in it. He thinks, he can do it. so he has taken the challenge
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 10:26   #5
BHPian

I read that article and he seems to be doing lot many of these endurance stuff. I feel it's more of "will I be able to do this as well?" than the "ok let me do this, get famous and get some chicks" because in the latter, if he's a failure, he will be booed for life.

Also if you look at it, the feat he is trying to achieve is extremely boring and monotonous because he's doing so around a track where is no traffic and not much attention required either. So falling asleep is a big threat looming on him. When the expressway initially started I heard many drivers say that the drive is monotonous and you feel sleep if you are even slightly not well rested. He is going to need a lot of preparation than just sit and ride

Quote:
Carl Reese is attempting a new world record - riding 2023 hours in 24 hours. on February 25th.
OT - Guess you meant 2023 miles in the hyperlink instead of 2023 hours
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 10:38   #6
Team-BHP Support

If he's doing it in a confined place with no risk to anyone other than himself, should be ok. Good luck to him !
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 18:49   #7
BHPian

Default Re: Carl Reese's attempt to ride 2023 miles in 24 hours (on a closed track)!

It is so, so, so very easy to question a human being's motivations for an endurance endeavour.

But to actually plan and execute such an endeavour takes some serious will power and effort, and VERY few people on this planet stretch themselves as far as this man will - both before and during the event.

I admire Carl Reese for his effort and wish him all success in completing the task he's set himself.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

P.S. Some elements of this type of vehicular effort seem to have been attempted here as well http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...enge-vrde.html (Tata - Great Endurance Challenge @ VRDE)

Last edited by FourWheelDrift : 16th February 2017 at 18:55. Reason: Further research on t-bhp revealed the post script ...
FourWheelDrift is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote