Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 3rd April 2017, 09:49   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Ferrari unveils the 812 Superfast

I think the comparison to the 911 is just not fair. I feel the 911 has gone through far bigger changed over Its life. Air cooled to water cooled, placement of engine has kept moving more towards the middle generation to generation correcting their original mistake, the now gearbox barometer 7-speed PDK, rear-wheel steering, this Carerra S turbo non-sense and the incredible amount of engineering gone into making it a daily liveable supercar which very few can match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
If you look at the 599 GTB, the F12 and now the Superfast, all of them span over a period of 15 years. The design though, hasn't changed. The silhouette remains the same, i.e. long bonnet, swoopy roof and short tail. The design language is clearly evolutionary.

Therefore, it would be extremely unfair to write off the Superfast as "nothing but a facelift with a tune on the engine".

By that logic, every generation of the Porsche 911 since the 1970 has only been a facelift.

The changes to the Superfast are more than skin-deep. The advances Ferrari has made in aerodynamics are phenomenal. The basic V12 construction may be the same, but the components have received major overhauls without a doubt. The gearbox too has been constantly improved over the years. Every single detail of the car will be agonized over, it's just that the styling (especially in pictures) won't convey the full story.
Absolutely and no doubt the jump from the 599 to the F12 was huge!. I just don't think this is .
However, I should not have passed judgement till I see the actual reviews. I shall wait....when is T-BHP getting one : ()?
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 11:14   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I think the comparison to the 911 is just not fair. I feel the 911 has gone through far bigger changed over Its life. Air cooled to water cooled, placement of engine has kept moving more towards the middle generation to generation correcting their original mistake, the now gearbox barometer 7-speed PDK, rear-wheel steering, this Carerra S turbo non-sense and the incredible amount of engineering gone into making it a daily liveable supercar which very few can match.

Absolutely and no doubt the jump from the 599 to the F12 was huge!. I just don't think this is .
However, I should not have passed judgement till I see the actual reviews. I shall wait....when is T-BHP getting one : ()?
Fair point.

In fact, many people echo your sentiment.

I for one still love the F12 and those lovely aero-bridges. The TDF specifically is magnificent. But the new 812 is tasty! It's may not a quantum leap over the F12, at least in terms of design, but it's got just enough to keep it going. The advancements in aerodynamics as illustrated in some of the videos on YouTube will leave you speechless. And that interior is absolutely gorgeous!

Perhaps a hybrid drive train would have set it apart from the rest?

Also, I'm not sure about that name. Does not seem like Ferrari agonized over that at all.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 23:35   #18
BHPian

Here are some comparison shots between the F12 Berlinetta and the new 812 Superfast :

Name:  front.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  44.9 KB

Name:  side.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  105.4 KB

Name:  rear.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  43.8 KB

Judge for yourselves : )
Maky is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote