Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2017, 09:29   #16
BHPian
 
speedguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 42
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Dodge Challenger SRT Demon : Insane muscle car with 840 horses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
EVs might be faster or slower than my favourite cars, but they don't offer the same character. Have you driven a Tesla hard? I personally haven't, but from what I've read & heard (reliable sources), there is simply no drama. Also, while the initial acceleration from the Model S is good, it's not the case after 80 - 100 mph.

To me, the mechanical feel of conventional cars offers a lot of pleasure. The sound, the feel, the experience. I don't see that happening with a Model S. Full credit to Tesla, and I'm a big fan of their engineering achievements, but I prefer internal combustion engines.
GTO= Mind over matter!
MaheshY1= Matter over mind!

The car specs are completely out of this world Only hardcore fearless racing drivers will manage this car
speedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 00:06   #17
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,584 Times
Default Re: Dodge Challenger SRT Demon : Insane muscle car with 840 horses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
And Chevy conveniently launches the 1000hp Camaro exorcist , not sure of how they compare on price though
Not a fair comparison, IMO. Exorcist is from a third party performance tuning shop whereas Demon is straight from the factory.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 01:24   #18
BHPian
 
Debajyoti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 72
Thanked: 260 Times
Default Re: 700 BHP makes Dodge SRT Hellcat the most powerful Muscle Car ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
What you see in this video are the option Narrow drag spec Aluminum wheels which comes in a specialised crate along with other drag specific components.

The attention that Dodge has given to this demographic is too much. The crate which contains all these spares fits right inside the boot.
All the high quality tools in the optional "Demon Crate" comes from Snap-On.

The tools will include:
  • Hydraulic floor jack with carrying bag
  • Cordless impact wrench with charger
  • Torque wrench
  • Tire-pressure gauge
  • Fender cover
  • Tool bag
  • Foam case that fits into the trunk and securely holds the front runners
In addition to those tools, the Demon Crate will include a dozen more parts, including Direct Connection Performance Parts:
  • A performance power-train control module with high-octane engine calibration
  • Replacement switch module containing high-octane button
  • Conical performance air filter
  • Passenger mirror block-off plate
  • Front-runner drag wheels
Using the tools from the crate owners will be able to install these parts for track use, run their best times, then take them off to drive on the street again.

Dodge Challenger SRT Demon : Insane muscle car with 840 horses!-dodge-challenger-srt-demon-crate.jpg
Source:MotorAuthority
Debajyoti is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 18:08   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: coorg/bombay
Posts: 317
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: Dodge Challenger SRT Demon : Insane muscle car with 840 horses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Not a fair comparison, IMO. Exorcist is from a third party performance tuning shop whereas Demon is straight from the factory.
Completely agree ! The comparison wasn't mine to make , that's what the www is portraying it as . I'd go with the demon since it's factory backed like you say
howler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 19:06   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: CA/bangalore
Posts: 212
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Dodge Challenger SRT Demon : Insane muscle car with 840 horses!


A related video on the Demon.
raihan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 10:41   #21
BHPian
 
avira_tk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 647
Thanked: 614 Times
Default Re: Dodge Challenger SRT Demon : Insane muscle car with 840 horses!

There are big ifs in case of the performance figures for the Demon and the Tesla. The Demon achieved this performance with thinner tyres in front with the help of a specialised surface. The Tesla can do similar numbers only twice on a full charge, it's not something that is accessible all the time.

The demographic targeted is different, the Demon is a halo car that aims to capitalise on nostalgia and the Tesla insane mode is just PR hype.

The performance of the cars from the likes of AMG, Quattro and M are for real, put your foot down and aim for the horizon, no need to replace the tyres or keep count of the number of times you are allowed to accelerate hard.
avira_tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 00:09   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 192
Thanked: 477 Times
Default Re: Dodge Challenger SRT Demon : Insane muscle car with 840 horses!

Just read this on Motor Authority;

Quote:
The new Dodge Challenger Demon has been the source of much debate since its debut. Tesla faithful have made it a point of emphasis to note that its impressive 2.3-second 0 to 60 mile-per-hour (96 kilometer-per-hour) time was still slower than that of a Model S P100 D, which clocked a record 2.28-second run. But don’t be so sure of yourselves just yet, Tesla fanboys.

According to Motor Authority, under the same circumstances as Motor Trend’s famed P100D 0-to-60 run, the Dodge Challenger Demon will best the Model S still. From a standstill, the Demon will sprint to 60 mph (96 kmh) in 2.3 seconds, but with a rollout – which is an extra seven inches allotted before the timer starts – it's even quicker than that, said Head of Passenger Cars at FCA North America, Tim Kuniskis.

"Lately some people are trying to go for big stats, so they are including rollout, and they are being honest," said Kuniskis in the interview. "Zero to 60 pure is 2.3 seconds, but with rollout it's 2.1, and that's important because that's the fastest 0 to 60 of any production car, I don't care what the technology is.”
Source: Dodge Demon 2.1 seconds

So the argument here is that the P100D recorded the 2.28 sec time with a 12-inch rolling start, and they claim with the same method the Dodge Demon WILL in fact hit 2.1 seconds and theoretically be the fastest accelerating car.
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 12:04   #23
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,233
Thanked: 21,892 Times
Default Re: Dodge Challenger SRT Demon : Insane muscle car with 840 horses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
So the argument here is that the P100D recorded the 2.28 sec time with a 12-inch rolling start, and they claim with the same method the Dodge Demon WILL in fact hit 2.1 seconds and theoretically be the fastest accelerating car.
The SRT Demon is nuts, and sure, it takes the record.

However, you can't really call it a "production" car in the true sense. Dodge themselves said their only goal for the car was to run the quarter mile as fast as possible.

The Tesla on the other hand is an incredibly versatile daily driver that is truly a well-rounded production car.

It Tesla put together a special edition Model S with the sole goal of getting the quickest quarter mile time, I'm sure they'd be able to better the Demon's time.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 12:19   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 192
Thanked: 477 Times
Default Re: Dodge Challenger SRT Demon : Insane muscle car with 840 horses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
The SRT Demon is nuts, and sure, it takes the record.

However, you can't really call it a "production" car in the true sense. Dodge themselves said their only goal for the car was to run the quarter mile as fast as possible.

The Tesla on the other hand is an incredibly versatile daily driver that is truly a well-rounded production car.

It Tesla put together a special edition Model S with the sole goal of getting the quickest quarter mile time, I'm sure they'd be able to better the Demon's time.
I agree that it isn't a 'Production Car' in the true sense of the word, but it also isn't a one off. While there is nothing stopping Tesla from developing a special edition that would completely demolish this, that argument would hold for every manufacturer. Even Bugatti could pull the same stunt with a Chiron. I'd say a lot of these brands who put out special editions that are purpose built, would still count as a production model by definition, and that's what Dodge is aiming at. Will it actually help increase sales of the Challenger for Dodge? Most likely not. But it still does bring them notoriety, and maybe more footfall into their showrooms.

However, I also don't doubt that on a normal street without any real prep tp the tarmac or the car the P100D would still probably demolish this Demon.
Porcupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
700 BHP makes Dodge SRT Hellcat the most powerful Muscle Car ever! HyperRetard The International Automotive Scene 3 12th January 2017 22:30
2012 Dodge Charger SRT-8 6.4 Hemi unleashed sidindica The International Automotive Scene 6 10th February 2011 00:47
Whatta Muscle Car!!! New Dodge Challenger GTO The International Automotive Scene 69 5th April 2009 10:55
Dodge Viper / SRT 10 gets Sledgehammer Power! aah78 The International Automotive Scene 23 29th January 2007 23:14
Dodge Charger SRT hskhan The International Automotive Scene 13 25th July 2006 00:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:19.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks