Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 7th November 2006, 02:11   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Ultimate in Luxury just got better! The Maybach 62S

The big daddy of the 57S is finally here with it's AMG tune engine.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm...-62-s-unveiled
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 03:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

The only maybach I would buy is an S variant and has to be the 57S, cant seem to get the point of a 62S, but it looks good from the inside..no match there by any other in its class...
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 06:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Unbelievably long. Starting to look good on the outside now, with it's sporty touch-ups.
aniguchisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 11:25   #4
BHPian

seems a bit pointless to me, with its gigantic proportions it cant exactly handle like a sport sedan.. and i dont know if the rear seat passengers enjoying their champagne flutes would want to be rocketed to 60 in almost 5 seconds... just another brag factor on the maybach options list.
BEEM3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 11:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

In case of the Maybach 62S,S stands for Special and not Sports as with the 57S.Their objective was to make the car more comfortable and special than ever.

Its basically a straight line rocket with acceptable handling meant to be the ultimate thing in comfort.
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 12:48   #6
BHPian

Only thing they left alone was the suspension thats different from the 57S otherwise looks wise its meant to look sporty with the all black, all silver and all white colors offered, the wheels and so on. So this whole whole Sport/Special thing is BS if you ask me. Well there must be a buyer for it which is why they're making it.
Old 7th November 2006, 13:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

The suspension is the most important part to make a car sporty to drive and when they leave it alone sporty was not their intention becomes obvious.
Old 7th November 2006, 16:45   #8
BHPian

Agreed it definitely decides the driving character of the car, but its not the only thing that can make a car handle or behave sporty. Why make it look sporty and like the 57S? Anyway merve_extreme we'll just keep going back and forth. If you like the Maybach 62S thats great, there will be others that think like you and therefore the car will sell as MB planned.
Old 7th November 2006, 18:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

I didn't say i like the car,but its not pointless,its just creating something more special,not that it was necessary but there must be some valid financial reasoning for that.Thats all.

as for the looks they made it look more powerful than sporty ,but yes thats my opinion.
Old 7th November 2006, 19:01   #10
BHPian

I really don't think there was any point to this car other than increasing sales of the failing Maybach. While I personally like the Maybach(apart from the exterior), I really don't think I would buy one if ever given the chance.

This just like the 57S is just a chance to boost sales of the Maybach to which the 57S actually succeded in a small way. Maybach (DaimlerChrysler) had overestimated the total sales of the Maybach (projected 1500 a year, but reaching close to 600-800 per year) and so now come the 'special editions'. Like the 'regular' 62 isn't special enough? I mean you can customise everything in the car except for the drive/engine etc.

And slightly off topic: any car is pointless except for maybe certain SUV's, sedans (corolla segment). I mean do you really require a 500 hp convertible ferrari when the maximum speed you can achieve driving it in the city is close to 140 which can also be achieved in a civic? I mean is anybody really that busy that even 1 min here or these can break everything EVERYDAY!!!!!
Guess? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 19:40   #11
BHPian

look whos talking Mr.M5
what is the point of living if you cant enjoy life? would you take a ride in a civic of you could drive a ferrari everyday?

anyway back on topic: the article said a lot of the customers are optioning their cars out like this, so they just made a special package to choose it at one go. personally i would take a maybach over a roller anyday of the week, s or no s.

Last edited by heelntoe : 7th November 2006 at 19:41.
heelntoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 23:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelntoe
look whos talking Mr.M5
what is the point of living if you cant enjoy life? would you take a ride in a civic of you could drive a ferrari everyday?
I didn't mean it that way. I was being more sarcastic in trying to prove a point that the Maybach isn't exactly useless.
Guess? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 00:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess?
I didn't mean it that way. I was being more sarcastic in trying to prove a point that the Maybach isn't exactly useless.
oh, sarcasm usually goes right over my head.
heelntoe is offline   Reply With Quote