Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 28th July 2017, 22:38   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Britain to ban sale of all diesel and petrol cars from 2040

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The more I read about IC cars slated to go defunct due to environmental concerns, the more I recall George Carlin's jibes at environmentalists.

Whilst I understand the need for renewable energy and waste management, I don't understand the hue and cry over saving the planet. I especially do not understand the arm-chair environmentalists and their 'real' primary concern being the cleanliness of the environment, limited to their vicinity.

And have we sufficiently explored the option of ethanol-compatible IC cars?
Yup, fully agree. Arm chair environmentalists are not allowing coal powered cars

See, all this talk about banning in 2040 is irrelevant because in less than 15 years, IC engine is going to get rarer. Its just natural progression of technology. As electricity gets cheaper, and cost of running electric cars gets lower, more people will adopt. As more people adopt, prices will go down. So all you will have is vintage value.

As for saving the planet, well the planet is not going anywhere. They are actually talking about having decent living conditions for the Human race even in the future.
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2017, 01:24   #17
BHPian

This seems stupid, to say the least! Simply banning IC engines isn't going to magically transform the Earth's atmosphere back to it's hayday!

Yeah, on paper, it does seem like a step in the right direction, but this takes me to Clarkson's explanation on why he hates the Toyota "Pious" (Prius).

Manufacturing a Prius, i.e, including everything from sourcing the materials for it's Nickel-hydride batteries, its drivetrain, etc. in fact causes more damage to the environment than driving a petrol car! I'm sure it would be no different for other hybrids.

Now, when all cars are banned, demand for hybrids will definitely go up. So will the mining operations for those minerals, and where does that energy come from? Good old Coal! Thus rendering the whole operation/idea counterproductive.
And I believe I'm just scratching the surface here.
Rohan24 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2017, 01:51   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Now, when all cars are banned, demand for hybrids will definitely go up. So will the mining operations for those minerals, and where does that energy come from? Good old Coal! Thus rendering the whole operation/idea counterproductive.
And I believe I'm just scratching the surface here.
Britain to ban sale of all diesel and petrol cars from 2040-energysourcespercent.png

You are assuming that while electric car technologies will get better, all other technologies will stagnate.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2017, 02:15   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Attachment 1661833

You are assuming that while electric car technologies will get better, all other technologies will stagnate.
It is indeed true that in 23 years, everything will have improved and will be more efficient.
My argument was, keeping in mind today's scenario.
Also, there's a teeny weeny chance that it was a rant because as a petrolhead I don't want to see them die, but deep down we all know that one day they have to.
Rohan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2017, 09:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Attachment 1661833

As it is, the renewable sources like solar fields and wind mills are nowhere near efficient or reliable enough to provide the energy that a society needs. They dont make enough power when one really needs it and when they make it its really hard to store it. Besides they are not even profitable. In the U.S and Europe these wind farms and solar farms are running because they are propped up by massive amounts of government subsidies. If you take those subsidies away the cost of electricity at the hands of consumers will skyrocket and I really doubt these companies will stay afloat in a free market

Germany went full captain planet and ended up regretting it

https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspi.../#5cf52d0454e9

Last edited by nakul0888 : 29th July 2017 at 09:37.
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 12:14   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
It is indeed true that in 23 years, everything will have improved and will be more efficient.
My argument was, keeping in mind today's scenario.
Also, there's a teeny weeny chance that it was a rant because as a petrolhead I don't want to see them die, but deep down we all know that one day they have to.
In Todays scenario, petrol/diesel cars are not banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
As it is, the renewable sources like solar fields and wind mills are nowhere near efficient or reliable enough to provide the energy that a society needs.
They dont make enough power when one really needs it and when they make it its really hard to store it. Besides they are not even profitable. In the U.S and Europe these wind farms and solar farms are running because they are propped up by massive amounts of government subsidies. If you take those subsidies away the cost of electricity at the hands of consumers will skyrocket and I really doubt these companies will stay afloat in a free market
Yes, and even electric cars are not very popular. They will one become popular when range problem goes away. When will that happen? when battery tech gets better. And when that happens, storage problem also goes away

Quote:
Germany went full captain planet and ended up regretting it

https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspi.../#5cf52d0454e9
Yes, today's technology is not sufficient to replace natural gas/nuclear etc., but then today electric cars also not a primary transport mechanism.
2040 is very far away. If battery tech does not improve, even electric cars won't become mainstream.
Countries have done wars after saying they won't do it, so if somebody says they will do X, it does not mean they will do it. Its mere symbolism riding on the optimism and faith in technological progression.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 16:34   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

It may be necessary to save the planet, but that is not the first and foremost reason for the UK decision. It is based on something much more local, and, if you like, much more selfish: the analysis of air quality in British cities.

Whether it is a right answer or not, I really have no clue. Certainly I admit to British [city] policies having been anti-car, often for no better reason than somebody's current ideology, for quite a long time. But it is probably hard to argue with the air-pollution readings.

However fond we may be of cars, the Internal combustion engine is not god, so lets not get into wailing and tearing of hair over it. Steam, right? Horses, No? Ends of eras: they happen all the time. There is a new technology to look forward to. And there will be another one after that.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 30th July 2017 at 16:37.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 17:33   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It may be necessary to save the planet, but that is not the first and foremost reason for the UK decision. It is based on something much more local, and, if you like, much more selfish: the analysis of air quality in British cities.
But a 2040 timeline still condemns the current generation to growing up with all possible breathing problems. This is kicking the proverbial can down the road.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 17:42   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
But a 2040 timeline still condemns the current generation .... ... ...
Too little too late is a problem governments tend to have
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 18:31   #25
BHPian

An interesting report on future cars and the automobile industry in general.

http://www.goldmansachs.com/our-thin...ion/cars-2025/
petroguzzler is online now   Reply With Quote