Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 8th August 2017, 18:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Next-gen Volkswagen Jetta spied without camouflage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I believe the front is still camouflaged (with a gloss black tape), the end result will be a chrome grille like the Passat
That makes perfect sense and puts things in perspective, looks a heck of a lot better this way. Takes the family look a bit far, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The Passat is a real looker, a shame this baby most likely won't make it to our shores.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 22:02   #17
Team-BHP Support

I don't think this is camouflaged. This is just a lower model or PPP car with black door handles.

However even if you make the grill in chrome I am not liking the front end. One is the front grill is just too big. Secondly what is with the cuts on the side of the grill. It cuts inwards then outwards then again inwards. The grill is huge hexagonal but there is another small part above the hexagon.

I like the silhouette but the front is overdone and not VW classy with the grill. The rear is nice but I hope those small tail light extensions don't make it into the asia spec car.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 01:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe the front is still camouflaged (with a gloss black tape), the end result will be a chrome grille like the Passat
There may not be any tape.. if we see the photo there is a clear 3D plastic bumper lip where there grille ends travelling from the base of the headlamps, below the grille and over to the other side.

Unlike the Passat image, the Jetta clearly has thick black polished chrome borders in the top and bottom of the grille, and just like the new Polo it has a 3-split base black inserts. The base of the main grille indeed seems to be going downwards forming a hexagon.

I have no problems with this design though, if anything the slightly boring looks are no more a part of VW, things got a lot interesting both up front and in the back. Finally VW is making good looking cars again and lets face it, there are only so many things they can do to differentiate from their previous design and all of them would make them seem guilty of copying some or the other brand though it may be purely coincidental.. Hyundai has been bearing the brunt of such accusations for a better part of a decade now.

Jetta MK5 was the most beautiful VW ever.. by a hundred miles. Hope VW brings more curves in future, moving away from the previous square design is a start.

EDIT: Here's a photo and article link on the Passat GT 2018.. SAME design as the Jetta in this page, now its confirmed this is VW's new signature. AutoBlog

Last edited by dark.knight : 9th August 2017 at 02:13.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 11:23   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Absolutely love the side & rear profiles - find it damn classy . The front is also good, except for that ugly grille! What was VW thinking? This is so unlike the usually clean & proportionate design philosophies of the company.

The new Jetta does appear to be longer. Being based on the MQB, I hope it doesn't take a step back in build quality as the new Octavia did. And please, don't give it a cheap torsion beam rear suspension in ANY variant.

Quote:
I hope you are right. The weird grille is killing the face which is the most important part of any design.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote